The Student Room Group

Cambridge English Applicants 2015

Couldn't find an existing thread for this so I've started a new one!

How are your applications for English going?
Reply with the college you're applying to and what other universities you're applying to, as well as any offers you might already have.

For me:
College - Clare

Other Unis -
Warwick
Bristol
Cardiff
Southampton (Offer: AAB)

PS - has anyone sent off a list of literature for discussion at interview?!

Scroll to see replies

College - Christ's

Exeter - AAB
St Andrews - Yet to reply
UCL - Yet to reply
King's College London - Yet to reply

Christ's haven't stated that they want any kind of list, although I suspect they may if I get invited to interview.

Pretty happy about Exeter though, all the rumours circling about ridiculously high offers at A*A*A got me nervous.

What about you?
College- Jesus

Also applied to:
Queen Mary (offer of AAB or ABB plus A in EPQ)
King's College London (offer of AAA)
UCL (yet to hear back)

I haven't heard anything about a list of literature to discuss at interview...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by leahmshaya
College- Jesus

Also applied to:
Queen Mary (offer of AAB or ABB plus A in EPQ)
King's College London (offer of AAA)
UCL (yet to hear back)

I haven't heard anything about a list of literature to discuss at interview...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow well done :smile: I think the literature must just be my college! Just out of interest what were your AS grades/what have you been predicted???
Original post by Sixteeen
Wow well done :smile: I think the literature must just be my college! Just out of interest what were your AS grades/what have you been predicted???

Thanks! :smile: I got 4 A's at AS and am predicted A* A* A for A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've applied for English at Clare too!

Also applied to:
Birmingham- Unconditional (if I put it as my first choice) but otherwise AAB
Cardiff- conditional AAB
Lancaster- conditional AAB
Nottingham- (not heard back yet but the requirements are AAA)

I've also been asked for a list of literature (I think that must be a Clare thing then?)
My AS grades were AAAA and I'm predicted A*AA

Was anyone invited to an interview prep meeting thing (cant really describe it any other way) with the rest of the Cambridge applicants from their school/college? Me and four other's from my college were asked to come along to watch a talk and some mock interviews and then talk to postgrads about the course we wanted to study? There were only about 70 people there (only three of whom were English applicants including myself). It struck all four of us as unusual because we'd never heard of this kind of thing before...
Reply 6
Original post by Paulska_
I've applied for English at Clare too!

Also applied to:
Birmingham- Unconditional (if I put it as my first choice) but otherwise AAB
Cardiff- conditional AAB
Lancaster- conditional AAB
Nottingham- (not heard back yet but the requirements are AAA)

I've also been asked for a list of literature (I think that must be a Clare thing then?)
My AS grades were AAAA and I'm predicted A*AA

Was anyone invited to an interview prep meeting thing (cant really describe it any other way) with the rest of the Cambridge applicants from their school/college? Me and four other's from my college were asked to come along to watch a talk and some mock interviews and then talk to postgrads about the course we wanted to study? There were only about 70 people there (only three of whom were English applicants including myself). It struck all four of us as unusual because we'd never heard of this kind of thing before...

wow congrats on your offers! when did you send your application in? :smile:

I think the list of literature is a Clare thing - I need to send mine off! Did you put any poetry on yours?? I want to because I love discussing poetry but I wasn't sure...

We didn't get invited to a talk like that but there were about 20 applicants to Oxbridge from my school so someone from Oxford came and spoke to us about it!
wow congrats on your offers! when did you send your application in? :smile:

I think the list of literature is a Clare thing - I need to send mine off! Did you put any poetry on yours?? I want to because I love discussing poetry but I wasn't sure...

We didn't get invited to a talk like that but there were about 20 applicants to Oxbridge from my school so someone from Oxford came and spoke to us about it!

I sent my application on the 15th October, right on the deadline! I didn't put any poetry on my reading list because I put some in my personal statement so hopefully that'll come up at interview -if I get one!
I think the talk thing was definitely unusual, most people on TSR don't seem to have heard of it either :P
Reply 8
I sent my application on the 15th October, right on the deadline! I didn't put any poetry on my reading list because I put some in my personal statement so hopefully that'll come up at interview -if I get one!
I think the talk thing was definitely unusual, most people on TSR don't seem to have heard of it either :P

Ahh I see :smile: how long was your reading list? Struggling with what to put on it!
I've applied for English at Emmanuel :smile:

Also applied to:
- Durham
- York (AAA offer)
- Exeter (holder of a dreaded A*A*A offer :frown: )
- Warwick

I have to send two marked essays and a reading questionnaire of recent reading; sheet is divided into poetry, drama, prose fiction, prose non-fiction - likely to be discussed at interview.

I got AAAB at AS and am predicted A*A*A* at A2
Ahh I see :smile: how long was your reading list? Struggling with what to put on it!

The Clare website said that I should put "4 works of literature (not necessarily English)" but I think that's just for Clare so idk if other people's colleges will have the same number of works or if they'll ask for more or less?
Reply 11
The Clare website said that I should put "4 works of literature (not necessarily English)" but I think that's just for Clare so idk if other people's colleges will have the same number of works or if they'll ask for more or less?

ah, I thought it said four copies of a list of works of literature - does that not mean a list printed out 4 times? For 4 different interviewers, I assume?
Glad to see other people applying for English ^^

College: Emmanuel

Also applied to:
Durham
York (Offer -- AAA)
Warwick
Nottingham (Offer -- AAA)

I've yet to send things (waiting on a copy of my UMS with remark/French (did it in Y11 so it's gone missing)). They've asked for two marked essays, a reading list, data protection, and UMS confirmation. Quite a lot -- it's takin' a while to compile. :c
Original post by mrsdarcy42
I've applied for English at Emmanuel :smile:

Also applied to:
- Durham
- York (AAA offer)
- Exeter (holder of a dreaded A*A*A offer :frown: )
- Warwick

I have to send two marked essays and a reading questionnaire of recent reading; sheet is divided into poetry, drama, prose fiction, prose non-fiction - likely to be discussed at interview.

I got AAAB at AS and am predicted A*A*A* at A2

Exactly the same here, except I'm applying for Robinson college, I've got Bristol rather than Warwick, and I got predicted A*A*A.
Reply 14
Original post by wendlabergmann
Glad to see other people applying for English ^^

College: Emmanuel

Also applied to:
Durham
York (Offer -- AAA)
Warwick
Nottingham (Offer -- AAA)

I've yet to send things (waiting on a copy of my UMS with remark/French (did it in Y11 so it's gone missing)). They've asked for two marked essays, a reading list, data protection, and UMS confirmation. Quite a lot -- it's takin' a while to compile. :c

Yeah I've got that as well, just one essay though thankfully! Need to send it all of soon! Good luck :smile:
Yeah I've got that as well, just one essay though thankfully! Need to send it all of soon! Good luck :smile:

I'll be sending mine all off tomorrow! Good luck to you, too! :biggrin:
ah, I thought it said four copies of a list of works of literature - does that not mean a list printed out 4 times? For 4 different interviewers, I assume?

Yeah I printed out four copies of it too :smile:
Reply 17
Got an interview for Clare!!!! So relieved! Anybody else heard whether they've got an interview or not? :smile:
When do everybody's colleges start giving interviews? :smile:
Original post by wendlabergmann
When do everybody's colleges start giving interviews? :smile:

At Christ's they say they give them out as soon as possible, so I'm assuming after all the extra forms and essays have been sent in.

Sent mine off today, so I should know by the end of the week! :biggrin:

Yours?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending