The Student Room Group

Most repped members on The Student Room: Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

I think people have already said it, but this is just going to cause more spammy posts in my opinion with the current rep system.

This is probably a sign that a serious change to the system is needed.
Rep isn't (meant to be) a competition. I thought that was one of the reasons the old system(s) were abolished/amended. The only thing this is going to encourage, outside of the education forums, is "funny" spam, rep-whoring, and more dupes to get around rep restrictions (you already get them, you will get more, and you won't find them all).

Please don't make rep into more of a popularity contest than it already is. Reward people who actually make decent contributions to the site, popular or otherwise.

Rep isn't and never has been a valid metric of the quality of a particular post.
I think people are looking at it too narrowly. Yes, we should award those who get involved in helping, but TheStudentRoom, regardless of 'student' is not solely an educational forum. It is a forum for students, but involves everything, such as sports, arts, religion, studies and, yes, chat. If we are going to be selective and state that only rep in certain forums should count, then that would be fine if that were actually a good system. In the education-oriented threads I have seen people accumulate rep from jokes or sarcastic replies, same as elsewhere. The fact is that many people come on here to link with their peers, not to ask for help for a maths question, and I think TSR should continue to acknowledge that.

Also, why do people say that rep should only be awarded to those in certain forums, then say that the rep system is broken and that it means nothing. Why do they care who gets rep in that case?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by shooks
Lots of thoughts here - thanks for taking the time to post about this competition. Particularly interested in the idea of limiting the rep count to study help/educational forums - that could be something we try after this month.

What about some of the debate forums? You get some good quality posts there, more than in chat.
Original post by secretmessages
Rep isn't and never has been a valid metric of the quality of a particular post.

Couldn't be more true.

I feel that posters like Gofre in tech have some incredibly useful posts, yet at most he'll get a couple of reps for one of his posts.
Original post by shooks
Lots of thoughts here - thanks for taking the time to post about this competition. Particularly interested in the idea of limiting the rep count to study help/educational forums - that could be something we try after this month.

Yeah that's a good idea, although to start with I'd just take chat out.
Original post by jenhasdreams
Chlorophile, repped 302 times (so you were super close!)

Is there a table somewhere?
This is such a bad idea :nope:
Don't think I have ever been repped for being helpful.
All mine are from witty "funny" comments.
I remember when there used to be a thread on the top posters. When I got to third place I took a temp ban to try to lower myself on the ranks :h:
Original post by Tillybop
I remember when there used to be a thread on the top posters. When I got to third place I took a temp ban to try to lower myself on the ranks :h:

I imagine that recently I'd be up there lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Meh - rep is not a reliable indication of a useful post.

I got a whole heap of it for a really cheap and lousy post in a thread called "who was thr worst Prime Minister" by just posting "Thatcher".

I'd bet that there were a load of other more useful posts in the forum which went totally unoticed.
Original post by Andy98
I imagine that recently I'd be up there lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

'Recently' :biggrin: You have been absolutely ripping up Chat and Forum Games for a while now...
Original post by InnerTemple
Meh - rep is not a reliable indication of a useful post.

I got a whole heap of it for a really cheap and lousy post in a thread called "who was thr worst Prime Minister" by just posting "Thatcher".

I'd bet that there were a load of other more useful posts in the forum which went totally unoticed.

Yeah I've noticed that most of the posts in the welcome lounge and study help don't get repped. It's just the silly ones in chat

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know someone else who did that. and when he returned he was still somewhere in the top ten.
Original post by Arkasia
'Recently' :biggrin: You have been absolutely ripping up Chat and Forum Games for a while now...

Hahaha yeahhhh:colondollar:

I do a fair bit in the welcome lounge and study help too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RFowler
What about some of the debate forums? You get some good quality posts there, more than in chat.

Rep in D&CA is all about timing, not quality.
Congrats to the top 10 :h:.

I'm pretty sure you were banned due to that thing...
Original post by keromedic
I'm pretty sure you were banned due to that thing...

Oh yeah that thing. Sssshhh nobody knows about it :ninja:

Quick Reply

Latest