The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drowninginsound
Wow, I'd find it so weird to play with such a thick plectrum. I guess it's just personal preference really. My friend seems to agree with your friend then, he refuses to play with anything less than 1.5 now! To be honest I only like using plectrums for occasional rhythm playing. Even lead I prefer to use my fingers - St Vincent is my idol. :tongue:

Eh, you've got to start somewhere! Although I would recommend actually trying to learn the theory of what you're playing (I don't know how musical you already are), because playing by ear can only really get you so far. Good luck with that piece, not sure I would attempt it. :biggrin:

Yes it is! Though I've found that old plastic ice cream tubs work best. :wink:

I've done grade 5 theory and I used to play the piano. For some songs I'm simply transcribing the piano sheet onto the guitar and that's really helping me understand the mechanics of the guitar. I suppose I know the basics but if you asked me about key signatures I wouldn't be able to tell you much :lol: What sort of music do you like/to play?
Original post by Bude8
I've done grade 5 theory and I used to play the piano. For some songs I'm simply transcribing the piano sheet onto the guitar and that's really helping me understand the mechanics of the guitar. I suppose I know the basics but if you asked me about key signatures I wouldn't be able to tell you much :lol: What sort of music do you like/to play?

That's pretty cool, I started out on piano too but I've never done any theory exams. :redface: I guess if that's the way that works for you that's fine, I just find it annoying when you meet a guitarist who doesn't even know what notes they're playing, or how to theoretically form a chord. Key signatures will come with practice, my friend. :wink: I mostly listen to indie rock so that's generally what I end up playing a lot of the time, or I try to write stuff like it. The last thing I learnt was You! Me! Dancing! by Los Campesinos and that was fun. :biggrin: Whst about you? What sort of music do you listen to?
Original post by drowninginsound
That's pretty cool, I started out on piano too but I've never done any theory exams. :redface: I guess if that's the way that works for you that's fine, I just find it annoying when you meet a guitarist who doesn't even know what notes they're playing, or how to theoretically form a chord. Key signatures will come with practice, my friend. :wink: I mostly listen to indie rock so that's generally what I end up playing a lot of the time, or I try to write stuff like it. The last thing I learnt was You! Me! Dancing! by Los Campesinos and that was fun. :biggrin: Whst about you? What sort of music do you listen to?

Anime OSTs
House
Rock
Metal

My friend recently introduced my to a metal band called Crossfaith, I quite like their music tbh.

I could name notes but not too quickly on the guitar, though I'm becoming better at that. I can't remember much about chords from piano or theory, but I know the general shape of them on the piano, just not how to form them on the guitar. I'll learn them when I can be bothered :lol: Very tempted to learn Imagine Dragon's Warriors as that's quite easy and should teach me a few chords.
Hey :smile: Does anyone know of any revision material (like exam papers for specific modules) for Alevel Biology OCR F215? Thanks.
Learnt about the Squeeze Theorem today. The algebra manipulation was pretty damn hard in that... hopefully it'll become 2nd nature soon :lol:
Original post by Bude8
Learnt about the Squeeze Theorem today. The algebra manipulation was pretty damn hard in that... hopefully it'll become 2nd nature soon :lol:

I really start to ****ing hate A Level Maths when I remember that limits aren't mentioned once in the entire Core series (don't know if they come up in FP).
Original post by MangoFreak
I really start to ****ing hate A Level Maths when I remember that limits aren't mentioned once in the entire Core series (don't know if they come up in FP).

Limits in what sense? I think they are in fp
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Calculus.

I'm talking about this sort of thing :lol:
Original post by Bude8

I'm talking about this sort of thing :lol:

Yeah, I know, it doesn't come up at all. I think the notation is used once in an early differentiation chapter :colonhash:

I originally learnt calculus online in like Year 9 and it was literally the first thing I did (on Khan Academy).
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah, I know, it doesn't come up at all. I think the notation is used once in an early differentiation chapter :colonhash:

Yeah it's in FP

AQA FP3 I know anyway

WJEC we might be doing it dunno
Yeah it's in FP

AQA FP3 I know anyway

WJEC we might be doing it dunno

Ok, I'll take it :tongue: Still seems a big thing to miss out, even if they just touched on it. I'll check OCR's syllabus.
Ok, I'll take it :tongue: Still seems a big thing to miss out, even if they just touched on it. I'll check OCR's syllabus.

I can give you PDF notes for limits if you want :lol: but it's going to be pretty damn hard to self teach yourself from the notes.
Original post by Bude8
I can give you PDF notes for limits if you want :lol: but it's going to be pretty damn hard to self teach yourself from the notes.

Nah, don't worry about it, I can find stuff :tongue:
Nah, don't worry about it, I can find stuff :tongue:

If you find anything good do you mind sending me it please? :tongue:

I've seen them come up a lot but have no clue on them!
Original post by Tibbz2
If you find anything good do you mind sending me it please? :tongue:

I've seen them come up a lot but have no clue on them!

Seriously, just anything from Khan Academy.
I got my exam dates today.
what the fuuuuuck:frown:
I have an exam the day after my 18th birthday!:confused:
Original post by sneha2096
Anyone started their personal statements:confused:? I'm repeated y12 last year so I so all the teacher and friends all over the place with this at the start of the year> Now I'm going to be in that position...Hopefully I have Patience to deal with all

i have to retake as this year can i have advice pls and wat subjects are u doing
Original post by xxhannahlouisexx
I got my exam dates today.
what the fuuuuuck:frown:
I have an exam the day after my 18th birthday!:confused:

I have 6 essay subject exams in 2 days :lol:
Original post by Bude8
I have 6 essay subject exams in 2 days :lol:

I've got a run of days like
C4, step 1, physics unit 5, step 2
Cry :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest