The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by turn-to-page394
How's business and media? They don't offer it at my school. :biggrin:

Media is VERY fun, I just finished writing the first draft for my script for my third and final assignment, which takes most, if not all of year 11, up until study leave. It help that I like media :biggrin:
As for business, it's quite fun, you don't think that you appreciate how complex businesses are until you do a qualification It was quite awkward when I learnt that my year 11 business teacher would be my sister's childhood friend who has known me since I was born! :biggrin:

haha, what books do you enjoy reading?

I like dystopian books, and I will usually read the book before I see the film version. I enjoyed Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson (which I recommend to ANYONE who likes a nice mystery novel), although I didn't like how they adapted it into a film, they literally removed the main plot device. I also enjoyed the Hunger Game trilogy, and also the first Maze Runner book, am waiting to buy the next one. I also am reading the Gone series, which is AMAZING!

And why Japan and Canada out of curiosity...?

As for Japan, I just love the culture and the country, and also the language. As for Canada, I don't really know, but I know that I am slightly interested in moving there when i'm older. Perhaps it's because I love winter?

oooh, must be useful having someone who can give you all the information first hand!

Yeah... I also forgot to add the fact that she's a qualified English teacher, and both my school and the school that she teaches at do Edexcel! So it's AMAZING! :biggrin:

Woah, I really quoted you a lot...
Original post by Purple-Pixie
I am! I saw your other post though and I'm not reading Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Two English classes in my year read it but my class read a book called I'm the King of the Castle. What other book did you read? We read An Inspector Calls in Year 10 :smile:

Yay finally someone with CIE! Is it bad that I don't remember? :P or maybe we haven't actually read another book yet? I'm so stupid :/ We are doing The Merchant of Venice as our play though :smile:
Reply 2342
I suck at English language and literature, doing aqa higher paper and got a language mock tomorrow, any tips? Got physics in the afternoon too so having a cramming session -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Greetings fellow Year 11's. :biggrin:
Reply 2344
Original post by winenot
Greetings fellow Year 11's. :biggrin:

Hello there, love the name 'winenot' pretty clever :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Echo98
Hello there, love the name 'winenot' pretty clever :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha :smile: Thank you.
Original post by Echo98
I suck at English language and literature, doing aqa higher paper and got a language mock tomorrow, any tips? Got physics in the afternoon too so having a cramming session -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am on the same page, i am terrible at English. The worst thing is that there are amazing English teachers at my school but cause i am unlucky i get the worst teacher who thinks i'm only capable of getting a C at foundation. But the thing is i want to do medicine and i don't think my C would allow me to become what i want to be since childhood. :frown:

Woah, i wrote Alot soz
Original post by Peachy23
Yay finally someone with CIE! Is it bad that I don't remember? :P or maybe we haven't actually read another book yet? I'm so stupid :/ We are doing The Merchant of Venice as our play though :smile:

An Inspector Calls is a play but we also read the play Macbeth in Year 10 (but we're not being examined on Macbeth, it was just for our coursework) so it's all a bit confusing!

Do you enjoy English? :smile:
Original post by gogojakeo
Media is VERY fun, I just finished writing the first draft for my script for my third and final assignment, which takes most, if not all of year 11, up until study leave. It help that I like media :biggrin:
As for business, it's quite fun, you don't think that you appreciate how complex businesses are until you do a qualification It was quite awkward when I learnt that my year 11 business teacher would be my sister's childhood friend who has known me since I was born! :biggrin:

I like dystopian books, and I will usually read the book before I see the film version. I enjoyed Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson (which I recommend to ANYONE who likes a nice mystery novel), although I didn't like how they adapted it into a film, they literally removed the main plot device. I also enjoyed the Hunger Game trilogy, and also the first Maze Runner book, am waiting to buy the next one. I also am reading the Gone series, which is AMAZING!

As for Japan, I just love the culture and the country, and also the language. As for Canada, I don't really know, but I know that I am slightly interested in moving there when i'm older. Perhaps it's because I love winter?

Yeah... I also forgot to add the fact that she's a qualified English teacher, and both my school and the school that she teaches at do Edexcel! So it's AMAZING! :biggrin:

Woah, I really quoted you a lot...

Well, it seems you and I have a lot in common. I've read all of the Gone and Maze Runner series of books, and their genre (dystopian) is generally my favorite. Is Before I Go To Sleep really that good of a book? My first impressions of it weren't that spectacular.

Otherwise, welcome :smile:.
An Inspector Calls is a play but we also read the play Macbeth in Year 10 (but we're not being examined on Macbeth, it was just for our coursework) so it's all a bit confusing!

Do you enjoy English? :smile:

Oh right haha, I didn't know that! We didn't have to do any plays for our coursework - we did 3 pieces: an argument, a creative writing one and some other comparing articles one I think. I used to love English but at the moment I'm just getting really tired of it :frown: I hate Language and pretty much hate literature too but that's tolerable :wink: I like the poetry aspect of it though but I would do absolutely terrible in the unseen...
How about you? :P
Reply 2350
Original post by hussel
I am on the same page, i am terrible at English. The worst thing is that there are amazing English teachers at my school but cause i am unlucky i get the worst teacher who thinks i'm only capable of getting a C at foundation. But the thing is i want to do medicine and i don't think my C would allow me to become what i want to be since childhood. :frown:

Woah, i wrote Alot soz

My teacher expects A, B minimum bit my grades aren't up to scratch. Don't worry you didn't write to much! I'm aiming for vet school so need some incredibly impressive grades :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey people. :biggrin:

If any of you have been visiting Sixth Form/College's lately and have anything interesting stories/things you've learnt from the open days to share, it'd be awesome to hear it. :biggrin:
Oh right haha, I didn't know that! We didn't have to do any plays for our coursework - we did 3 pieces: an argument, a creative writing one and some other comparing articles one I think. I used to love English but at the moment I'm just getting really tired of it :frown: I hate Language and pretty much hate literature too but that's tolerable :wink: I like the poetry aspect of it though but I would do absolutely terrible in the unseen...
How about you? :P

For Literature we've only done our coursework for Macbeth. For Language we did travel writing, creative writing and possibly another one which I can't remember :colondollar:

I really enjoy English and am planning on doing Literature at A Level :smile: I used to prefer Language but now I struggle too much in coming up with a good story in creative writing :frown: I agree, I like the poetry too but only when I've already seen the poem!
For Literature we've only done our coursework for Macbeth. For Language we did travel writing, creative writing and possibly another one which I can't remember :colondollar:

I really enjoy English and am planning on doing Literature at A Level :smile: I used to prefer Language but now I struggle too much in coming up with a good story in creative writing :frown: I agree, I like the poetry too but only when I've already seen the poem!

I didn't know there was coursework for Literature! Wow, I'm really stupid and absolutely screwed...I can't do that haha
Good on you, I could never do English at A Level, I'm more of a maths person :wink:
I didn't know there was coursework for Literature! Wow, I'm really stupid and absolutely screwed...I can't do that haha
Good on you, I could never do English at A Level, I'm more of a maths person :wink:

I didn't know either until the end of Year 10 when we actually had to start writing the coursework. It was at the end of the summer term so of course none of us were in the mood to be doing coursework. I don't think the teachers have even marked it yet, or they're waiting until after mocks to give it back to us or something :confused:
For me it's the other way round; I'm hopeless at Maths and Science :colondollar:

My brother's in Year 11 too (do I get him to join TSR, I wonder? :iiam:) and is currently doing his English language creative writing coursework. :yep:

I never really liked English when I was in Year 11 (dropped it as soon as I could after GCSEs :tongue:) but after helping him with his, I'm really beginning to fall in love with it. We've come up with some pretty good ideas together, and that's saying something for me!
I didn't know either until the end of Year 10 when we actually had to start writing the coursework. It was at the end of the summer term so of course none of us were in the mood to be doing coursework. I don't think the teachers have even marked it yet, or they're waiting until after mocks to give it back to us or something :confused:
For me it's the other way round; I'm hopeless at Maths and Science :colondollar:

Haha to be fair, I'm not all that great at maths and science either :smile: it might be something to do with the fact that I am completely unwilling to revise :P I am honestly the biggest procrastinator and the probably the world's laziest person. I know that if I tried I could do well :wink: we did all 3 pieces of coursework last year and it really peeves me that I got high A*'s in all 3 but got ok marks in the speaking and listening's so now overall I've got one mark off an A*! Having to redo one of my speaking's :frown: absolutely hate speaking and listening, I just can't do it because I'm so awkward haha
Reply 2357
Original post by usycool1
Hey people. :biggrin:

If any of you have been visiting Sixth Form/College's lately and have anything interesting stories/things you've learnt from the open days to share, it'd be awesome to hear it. :biggrin:

I was really impressed with my first choice of sixth form who take your 7 best GCSE grades, each grade has a score and they calculate a mean. There are different boundaries that determine if you get to do 3 A levels, 4 or 4 A levels and and extended project qualification. This appeals because it shows that from the outset, sixth form life is tailored exactly to you and your capabilities! (not sure if I've explained this very well XD)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Echo98
My teacher expects A, B minimum bit my grades aren't up to scratch. Don't worry you didn't write to much! I'm aiming for vet school so need some incredibly impressive grades :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, hopefully you would get in! And Dw u will get in to a vet school! :smile:
Well my teacher gave me foundation paper the other day cause that's what she expects from me even though last year i was out down for higher. My teacher really hates tbh she just thinks i am some depressed lazy girl that doesn't give a crap about her English GCSE but actually i get A's in other subjects and i work soooo hard just to get a C in English!. Seriously i doubt that i would get in to medicine with a C in English.

Sorry again it's just i had a rough day in English today cuz i was listening the whole time but when it come to the task i literally almost puked cuz i was that stressed about not understanding anything
Original post by Echo98
I was really impressed with my first choice of sixth form who take your 7 best GCSE grades, each grade has a score and they calculate a mean. There are different boundaries that determine if you get to do 3 A levels, 4 or 4 A levels and and extended project qualification. This appeals because it shows that from the outset, sixth form life is tailored exactly to you and your capabilities! (not sure if I've explained this very well XD)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that sound pretty cool actually i haven't seen a sixth form that does that!

Latest