The Student Room Group

Bioveterinary hopefuls 2015

Hey everyone
I've applied for Bioveterinary Science at for 2015, and had an offer off Lincoln and interviews for Bristol and Harper Adams. Also NTU for animal biol; just waiting on RVC. I was just wondering who else has applied/had offers/interviews etc :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fayeburnell
Hey everyone
I've applied for Bioveterinary Science at for 2015, and had an offer off Lincoln and interviews for Bristol and Harper Adams. Also NTU for animal biol; just waiting on RVC. I was just wondering who else has applied/had offers/interviews etc :smile:

Hello :smile:

Have you checked out uni connect? There are a couple of users that have connected for BioVet :h:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect/course/veterinary_medicine

I'll quote them in :biggrin:

:wavey:

Hi you guys!

Just thought I'd let you know about this thread - I'd seen you had connected on University Connect...

Good luck with your applications :tongue:

Jamie_11_x
x

vetwannabe_
x
Reply 2
hey there! applying for animal science/bioveterinary science at surrey, nottingham, liverpool, reading and newcastle. Not entirely sure what the difference between the two degrees are though
Reply 3
Original post by laura596
hey there! applying for animal science/bioveterinary science at surrey, nottingham, liverpool, reading and newcastle. Not entirely sure what the difference between the two degrees are though

Hey
I wanted to apply for Surrey because it looks so nice there but I don't think I'll get the grades. I think Biovet is more toward the Veterinary side of animal science
Reply 4
Hey
I wanted to apply for Surrey because it looks so nice there but I don't think I'll get the grades. I think Biovet is more toward the Veterinary side of animal science

Ah okay, I thought so :smile:
Are you planning to do postgraduate in veterinary science after?
Reply 5
Greetings faye

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Ah okay, I thought so :smile:
Are you planning to do postgraduate in veterinary science after?

Yeah I am :smile: are you?
Reply 7
Yeah I am :smile: are you?

I am hoping to though dread to think how much it's going to cost :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by paigep
Greetings faye

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good day paigep
Reply 9
Got an offer from Liverpool!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Got an offer from Liverpool!

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg well done! 👏
I applied to Biovet at Liverpool, RVC, Bristol and Lincoln. I also applied to animal science at Nottingham. I've just received an offer from Liverpool! So happy:biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by GoodbyeCourage
I applied to Biovet at Liverpool, RVC, Bristol and Lincoln. I also applied to animal science at Nottingham. I've just received an offer from Liverpool! So happy:biggrin:

Woo well done!:biggrin:
Original post by GoodbyeCourage

well done! what's your first choice? :smile:
Hi guys,
I'm a first year veterinary biosciences student at Surrey University. If any of you have any questions about the veterinary bioscience course or have any specific questions about Surrey then feel free to ask :smile:
Harry.
Original post by Harry.T.P.Hayes
Hi guys,
I'm a first year veterinary biosciences student at Surrey University. If any of you have any questions about the veterinary bioscience course or have any specific questions about Surrey then feel free to ask :smile:
Harry.

Hey, still waiting to hear from Surrey but the course looks good! What kind of topics have you covered so far and what kind of practicals have you been doing? Is it a big step up from a level biology and chemistry? Are you planning to do veterinary science after?

Also what is the actual university like? And how is the nightlife?

Thank you! hope you are enjoying uni! :smile:
Reply 16
Hi, I am applying for biovet science and animal science at Hartpury, Harper Adams, Nottingham and Gloucestershire and I have had an offer from hartpury and Gloucestershire and have an interview at Harper adams next week :smile:
Hey, still waiting to hear from Surrey but the course looks good! What kind of topics have you covered so far and what kind of practicals have you been doing? Is it a big step up from a level biology and chemistry? Are you planning to do veterinary science after?

Also what is the actual university like? And how is the nightlife?

Thank you! hope you are enjoying uni! :smile:

Hi Laura,
In the first semester, like many other universities, the veterinary biosciences course is very broad. It encompasses basic cell biology, microbiology, chemistry, maths, statistics and a module in veterinary anatomy and animal handling.

So far I've had around ten 3hr practicals. Other than microscopy and cytogenetics, we have had the opportunity to attend five anatomy practicals where you can dissect and analyse different parts of domestic animals. For example, we had a respiratory practical where we handled a racehorse's lungs. The veterinary staff are great and many of them are within the (histo)pathology field which makes practicals really fun and interesting.

As for the difficulty of the course, I wouldn't say its a massive jump from A levels. Having A level biology helps, however other subjects such as chemistry and maths aren't a necessity as one of our modules in the first year covers the basics.

I'm personally not planning on studying veterinary medicine afterwards as my interests have always been in veterinary infectious diseases, epidemiology and public health but i know that the majority of people in my year are planning on studying vetmed at graduate level.

As for the university's night life, Rubix (the student union's club) is amazing! There are also many great bars and clubs in town.

I hope I've covered everything that you wanted to know. If you have any other questions please ask! I know how difficult it is to decide on a firm and insurance choice so make sure you find out as much as possible beforehand! :smile:
Original post by Harry.T.P.Hayes
Hi Laura,
In the first semester, like many other universities, the veterinary biosciences course is very broad. It encompasses basic cell biology, microbiology, chemistry, maths, statistics and a module in veterinary anatomy and animal handling.

So far I've had around ten 3hr practicals. Other than microscopy and cytogenetics, we have had the opportunity to attend five anatomy practicals where you can dissect and analyse different parts of domestic animals. For example, we had a respiratory practical where we handled a racehorse's lungs. The veterinary staff are great and many of them are within the (histo)pathology field which makes practicals really fun and interesting.

As for the difficulty of the course, I wouldn't say its a massive jump from A levels. Having A level biology helps, however other subjects such as chemistry and maths aren't a necessity as one of our modules in the first year covers the basics.

I'm personally not planning on studying veterinary medicine afterwards as my interests have always been in veterinary infectious diseases, epidemiology and public health but i know that the majority of people in my year are planning on studying vetmed at graduate level.

As for the university's night life, Rubix (the student union's club) is amazing! There are also many great bars and clubs in town.

I hope I've covered everything that you wanted to know. If you have any other questions please ask! I know how difficult it is to decide on a firm and insurance choice so make sure you find out as much as possible beforehand! :smile:

Thank you so much this is very helpful! The course sounds so good especially the dissections! Where else did you apply and how did you decide to pick surrey?

Thanks again! :smile:
Thank you so much this is very helpful! The course sounds so good especially the dissections! Where else did you apply and how did you decide to pick surrey?

Thanks again! :smile:

I applied for veterinary biosciences at Glasgow and Surrey, bioveterinary sciences at Liverpool and RVC and animal science at Reading. Ultimately it was between RVC and Surrey and I chose surrey because of its links with the AHVLA and the Pirbright Institute as well as Noël Fitzpatrick teaching on the course. Also, surrey is in the countryside whereas the majority of the others aren't. I have lived in London before and although I like RVCs camden campus I didn't want to live in the city. (You don't get to visit the Hertfordshire campus at rvc or the leahurst campus at Liverpool for example). I hope this helps, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest