The Student Room Group

How to get rid of virus?

Hello,

This notification keeps coming up on my computer and I know that it is a virus, I am wondering if anyone knows how I can stop it (I have looked on my downloads and installed programmes but I can't seem to find where it is coming from to delete or uninstall it.) then when I click on okay this page comes up and I already have Java so don't need it.

Thankyou

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1415214507.658922.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1415214547.301330.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm afraid your best bet is to take your computer to someone who can fix it. Unless you're incredibly computer literate, removing viruses is very complicated and it is easy to delete other crucial files while doing so. I had a similar issue, and it turned out that one virus had brought down my firewall and my laptop had over 300 viruses slowly destroying my laptop in the background.

Unfortunately it's not cheap - it cost me £200 although I had some other issues too. You have to decide if it may be better to get a new laptop in a few months or a year or so when yours finally gets too clogged up, or if it is worth repairing the one you have. However, you may be lucky and have just one virus that isn't too bad - just close the window whenever it pops up in order to minimise damage

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Run a full system scan and see if it can detect the virus. Use your anti-virus software or Malwarebytes is good software to remove a virus. If you're unable to remove it this way, you could do a factory restore to remove all of your data but backup important data onto an external hard drive (if you have one).
If you are brave enough, Use Linux, get either Kali linux and use ClamAV, or use something like Ultimate Boot CD and the AV suites there, also be connected to Ethernet so you can download the latest definitions from the databases.
When this is complete go back into Windows and use Malwarebytes, use MBAR MBAM also.

If you feel like you are not confident enough to use Linux, use Malwarebytes Chameleon and install it that way.

Also that what you got it a warning message, never ever click what they say, always go into task manager and kill the browsers process, normally pop ups saying that are linked with either yes or no, we where always taught that in college.

Hope this helps!
Original post by amberlad1
Hello

Hello!

First off, lets start your computer in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING.

When you turn your PC on, keep tapping the F8 key until you get a menu with the above option. You'll now boot in to Windows in Safe Mode, but with the ability to join networks and surf the net.

Now, visit https://www.malwarebytes.org/ and click on the Free Download button. Download Malwarebytes Free and install it. If I remember right, it'll ask if it can install other software, so be careful - don't want that extra bloat!

Once it's installed, it'll ask to do some updates - let it do it's thing. Once that's done, do a full system scan. If it finds anything bad, let it remove it or quarantine it or delete it (or whatever it wants to do). If it asks to reboot your PC, don't let it.

Now, you need to open your antivirus program - most likely Windows Defender as you're on Windows 8. If it's not Windows Defender, use whatever you use. Whatever it is, let that do a full system scan and remove / delete / quarantine everything it finds.

After both of these (which may take bloomin' ages depending on your PC speed and the number of files you have!), reboot your PC and let it boot normally (ie, no need to tap F8 any more).

This should leave you with a healthier, happier PC.
Original post by mikeyd85
Hello!

First off, lets start your computer in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING.

Best post so far, should be good with these steps, but i wouldnt virus scan your pc after running Malwarebytes before restarting. Will probably find the same viruses etc but they will be locked by Malwarebytes.
I would think running Malwarebytes full scan, restarting then running a Malwarebytes quick scan / AV scan would be better.

Original post by nmnorgan305
I'm afraid your best bet is to take your computer to someone who can fix it. Unless you're incredibly computer literate, removing viruses is very complicated and it is easy to delete other crucial files while doing so. I had a similar issue, and it turned out that one virus had brought down my firewall and my laptop had over 300 viruses slowly destroying my laptop in the background.

Unfortunately it's not cheap - it cost me £200 although I had some other issues too. You have to decide if it may be better to get a new laptop in a few months or a year or so when yours finally gets too clogged up, or if it is worth repairing the one you have. However, you may be lucky and have just one virus that isn't too bad - just close the window whenever it pops up in order to minimise damage

Good luck!
Posted from TSR Mobile

What were the other issues? £200 is a crazy amount of money for a laptop repair.
If you didnt need the data on the drive you could have resintalled Windows for free if you had the discs and that would have been starting fresh.
Most laptops have a manufacturer system restore that will restore it to the same state when you bought it.
Of course if you had data on the laptop you desperately needed then you would have to look at removing the viruses without restoring the laptop.
Original post by united2000
Best post so far, should be good with these steps, but i wouldnt virus scan your pc after running Malwarebytes before restarting. Will probably find the same viruses etc but they will be locked by Malwarebytes.
I would think running Malwarebytes full scan, restarting then running a Malwarebytes quick scan / AV scan would be better.

Yeah, I suppose that is possible. I've always thought of Malware and viruses to be quite different and as such both types of applications would pick up different things - I've (oddly?) never considered there might be a cross over! :lol:
Original post by mikeyd85
Yeah, I suppose that is possible. I've always thought of Malware and viruses to be quite different and as such both types of applications would pick up different things - I've (oddly?) never considered there might be a cross over! :lol:

Malwarebytes is better for zero day nasties, which AV wont pick up without updated signautres. Think of it like an AV looks for specific files with viruses because it knows by its signuatures, which file is a virus or not.

Malwarebytes is better for zero day and rookits which AV wont find or if it does, wont be able to remove it because it MBAM uses heuristics in addition to signatures.
Eventually what is found out by heuristics will be made into a signature for AV's.

I always suggest one active real time AV, which scans every file you access/download and an on demand scanner you run once a month etc. I consider Malwarebytes the best on demand scanner.

The following quote is taken from the MBAM website.
MBAM

"Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild".

This includes malicious programs and files, such as virus droppers, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. That being said, there are many infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect or remove which any antivirus software will, such as file infectors.

It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending