The Student Room Group

I don't like this thing. Let's ban it!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Viva Emptiness
"Fireworks are noisy and messy"

"Page 3 makes me uncomfortable"

"I don't like the word slut"

LET'S BAN THEM ALL.

I'm curious to get inside the mind of these people. What sort of thinking leads you to the conclusion that how you feel should impact the rest of the population?

they're just giving their opinion, what sort of thinking leads you to form the opinion that their opinion shouldn't be expressed?
Original post by louieee
they're just giving their opinion, what sort of thinking leads you to form the opinion that their opinion shouldn't be expressed?

...what? Where have I said exactly that their opinion shouldn't be expressed? I simply asked why they think they should ban things on the basis that they personally don't like them or feel society would be better off without them as per the examples in the OP (threads I've actually seen on here).

Seriously, are people struggling with the question?
...what? Where have I said exactly that their opinion shouldn't be expressed? I simply asked why they think they should ban things on the basis that they personally don't like them or feel society would be better off without them as per the examples in the OP (threads I've actually seen on here).

Seriously, are people struggling with the question?

I'm struggling with the way it was worded, it seemed to me (and excuse me if I'm wrong) as though you were saying something more without actually saying it if you know what I mean
Original post by louieee
I'm struggling with the way it was worded, it seemed to me (and excuse me if I'm wrong) as though you were saying something more without actually saying it if you know what I mean

Nope, I wasn't trying to imply people can't say what they like, I was just wondering why they say it. The "I think this is bad so it should be gone forever" attitude confuses me.
Nope, I wasn't trying to imply people can't say what they like, I was just wondering why they say it. The "I think this is bad so it should be gone forever" attitude confuses me.

if they can justify why it should be banned then maybe it's an opinion that could change the world :s I mean look at the slaves "yo I got my slave to make a black coffee oh look my adjective was in the wrong place oh haha" and then the other white boy "nah fam keeping slaves is wrong because ethics and human rights" "ohh look slaves don't exist anymore oh that white boy changed the world with his opinion"

see what I'm saying? sometimes it's selfish to keep your opinion to yourself. I'm not really sure where you're coming from to be honest, could you give more details about the type of person who would say this? If it's someone saying something with no sense behind it then I agree with you, but actually there are some thing which perhaps banning could be justified by a person stated an opinion (no matter how far-fetched) and then other people chuck in their opinions and they all listen and they all see reason and suddenly you've got a nice little democracy going
It's like those *******s who phone in and complain to the beeb or whoever because they were offended by something really funny on tv - just **** off!!
Original post by louieee
if they can justify why it should be banned then maybe it's an opinion that could change the world :s I mean look at the slaves "yo I got my slave to make a black coffee oh look my adjective was in the wrong place oh haha" and then the other white boy "nah fam keeping slaves is wrong because ethics and human rights" "ohh look slaves don't exist anymore oh that white boy changed the world with his opinion"

see what I'm saying? sometimes it's selfish to keep your opinion to yourself. I'm not really sure where you're coming from to be honest, could you give more details about the type of person who would say this? If it's someone saying something with no sense behind it then I agree with you, but actually there are some thing which perhaps banning could be justified by a person stated an opinion (no matter how far-fetched) and then other people chuck in their opinions and they all listen and they all see reason and suddenly you've got a nice little democracy going

Did you even read the OP? I'm not talking about big things like "I think murder should be banned". There are actual people who go around thinking the word "slut" should be banned. Because it's a "bad word". I even posted a link to some ridiculous things that had been banned irl, including dictionaries in a school classroom in California because pupils had been looking up "dirty words" and parents complained.

This is level of idiocy I'm talking about.

If you got "people should stay quiet about the injustices in the world" from a complaint about anti-page 3 hysteria and people who want to ban fireworks because they are messy, then...I just don't know.
Did you even read the OP? I'm not talking about big things like "I think murder should be banned". There are actual people who go around thinking the word "slut" should be banned. Because it's a "bad word". I even posted a link to some ridiculous things that had been banned irl, including dictionaries in a school classroom in California because pupils had been looking up "dirty words" and parents complained.

If you got "people should stay quiet about the injustices in the world" from a complaint about anti-page 3 hysteria and people who want to ban fireworks because they are messy, then...I just don't know.

What do you think about this? :h: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/nov/05/sun-page-3-advert-banned-sexist

I think it's really interesting because there's such a huge grey area, and it can be really tough to draw the line.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
What do you think about this? :h: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/nov/05/sun-page-3-advert-banned-sexist

I think it's really interesting because there's such a huge grey area, and it can be really tough to draw the line.

Hah, I heard about that the other day. If she's willing I don't see the problem :s-smilie:

no, but it's exactly the same concept, just a little more extreme. I think some good arguments exist about why fireworks should be banned, I don't think it's an unreasonable opinion to have tbh, but I agree they shouldn't be banned purely because they're "messy". Fireworks can be dangerous, money could be spent elsewhere, they're used to celebrate the burning of a man (a bit sinful despite his plots), there are plenty of other valid reasons for the banning of them. I personally don't think they should be banned, but I don't think it'd be unreasonable to suggest otherwise. And while in my opinion there are some valid reasons for them to be banned, then who am I to say "messy" isn't a valid reason? It's just a little more extreme and a little more ridiculous, but maybe it makes some sense.

I'm talking **** you may as well ignore me now :P
Hah, I heard about that the other day. If she's willing I don't see the problem :s-smilie:

That's what I thought too - in all honestly it offends my sensibilities, but if everyone involved is happy with the situation then there shouldn't really be an issue should there?

Or do people need to take more responsibility over the wider impact they have on society? :s-smilie:
Original post by louieee
no, but it's exactly the same concept, just a little more extreme. I think some good arguments exist about why fireworks should be banned, I don't think it's an unreasonable opinion to have tbh, but I agree they shouldn't be banned purely because they're "messy". Fireworks can be dangerous, money could be spent elsewhere, they're used to celebrate the burning of a man (a bit sinful despite his plots), there are plenty of other valid reasons for the banning of them. I personally don't think they should be banned, but I don't think it'd be unreasonable to suggest otherwise. And while in my opinion there are some valid reasons for them to be banned, then who am I to say "messy" isn't a valid reason? It's just a little more extreme and a little more ridiculous, but maybe it makes some sense.

I'm talking **** you may as well ignore me now :P

I think it's an invalid reason because it negatively impacts on a lot of people's basic liberties for relatively little gain. And as our liberty is one of the most important things we can have, I would need a damn good reason to ban it. Like thousands of annual deaths (and of people that didn't choose to be around them themselves), or a revelation that continued use of fireworks will end the universe.

That's what I thought too - in all honestly it offends my sensibilities, but if everyone involved is happy with the situation then there shouldn't really be an issue should there?

Or do people need to take more responsibility over the wider impact they have on society? :s-smilie:

What wider issue on society would such a promotion have? Oh, now men think women are a prize to pick and choose from? How offensive to everyone involved. In my ideal world people would be left to think for themselves without being told what's offensive and what isn't.

What wider issue on society would such a promotion have? Oh, now men think women are a prize to pick and choose from? How offensive to everyone involved. In my ideal world people would be left to think for themselves without being told what's offensive and what isn't.

Well, this has been something of a running theme throughout history... :wink:

:beard:

Do you think that people are good at thinking for themselves?
Let's ban Gingers, they scare me. I am afraid they are going to steal my soul.
Well, this has been something of a running theme throughout history... :wink:

:beard:

Do you think that people are good at thinking for themselves?

Hah, it kind of has. I don't think a competition in the Sun is going to change that for good or bad.

No, I think they are terrible at thinking for themselves, but only because we haven't had the chance to in such a long time. Even if people were just naturally bad at it, I don't like the idea of someone in charge getting to tell us all what's OK and what isn't. Why can't everyone just be good at everything? :sigh:
Original post by louieee
I don't think it's an unreasonable opinion to have tbh, but I agree they shouldn't be banned purely because they're "messy". Fireworks can be dangerous, money could be spent elsewhere, they're used to celebrate the burning of a man (a bit sinful despite his plots), there are plenty of other valid reasons for the banning of them.

Oh boo ****ing hoo. This nation's church and monarchy is based around the brutal crucifixion of a man.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Oh boo ****ing hoo. This nation's church and monarchy is based around the brutal crucifixion of a man.

the church doesn't celebrate the brutal killing of jesus, they're not all like "son of god is a bad man lets hang up mannequins on crosses and celebrate his death because he's a bad person"

I don't think it's right to celebrate the burning alive of guy fawkes, I mean it's easy to argue that the blowing up of parliament is wrong but it's pretty difficult to argue that burning someone is right
Hah, it kind of has. I don't think a competition in the Sun is going to change that for good or bad.

No, I think they are terrible at thinking for themselves, but only because we haven't had the chance to in such a long time. Even if people were just naturally bad at it, I don't like the idea of someone in charge getting to tell us all what's OK and what isn't. Why can't everyone just be good at everything? :sigh:

:console: It's alright, the singularity will be with us soon.
Original post by louieee
the church doesn't celebrate the brutal killing of jesus, they're not all like "son of god is a bad man lets hang up mannequins on crosses and celebrate his death because he's a bad person"

Fair point.

No, I think they are terrible at thinking for themselves, but only because we haven't had the chance to in such a long time.

The thing is there is actually nothing majorly stopping them from doing so. We have more rights and access to information and legal means of changing stuff than ever before. But people who couldn't even vote in the mid and late 1800s were better at it than us :s-smilie:

When was this golden age of people thinking for themselves though? We are pretty good at just mindlessly doing stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending