The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2015 applicants - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LevCrofts
Damn that makes sense; I also put 9.

I should mention that I too was tight for time so didn't get a great read of it, so that was my initial reaction.
Just confirming you're alright to tear the exam apart now. Thanks for your patience everyone. :smile: :h:
Original post by aasvogel
I should mention that I too was tight for time so didn't get a great read of it, so that was my initial reaction.

Your logic is impeccable though. :wink: :P

Did anyone else do the essay on dealing with countries that used Child Labour? What kind of points did you use?
Original post by aasvogel

That's smart dude, I didn't even read that he got off on the wrong floor lmfao. Did it say he started on the first floor? Because I remember there being a ground floor as well so it could've been seven if he started on the first. Can't remember if it said he started on the first or ground floor or if they said first but meant ground or what.

I'm just going to stop talking now
actually this question with the lights in the elevator have required you to figure out, where the light was broken, and which would possibly work,
a standard matrix 8 was given on the left, and there were two lights, which were broken, so u should have looked at the numbers which could have been made up by taking out two lights, these were 2,3 ,5, 6, , so therefore, he could have gone wrong out on these floors :smile:
Original post by Dprince
Sound, now we're actually allowed to talk about it I've forgotten most of the questions.

If anyone had the one about the elevator with the broken lights, and it said how many floors could he be on, what was the answer? I had to skim read it and I just put 9 thinking there were 10 floors and he could no longer be on the ground floor.

If I remember correctly, the answer was 5. This was because 2 lights were broken, yet the person thought they were on floor 8, but they were not. They had also left the ground floor. What then had to be done was working out which numbers are written in such a way that they require 1 or 2 fewer lights than 8. Only 2,3,5,6 and 9 satisfy this requirement.
Most of the critical thinking ones totally flummoxed me though...
Original post by FeelingFear
If I remember correctly, the answer was 5. This was because 2 lights were broken, yet the person thought they were on floor 8, but they were not. They had also left the ground floor. What then had to be done was working out which numbers are written in such a way that they require 1 or 2 fewer lights than 8. Only 2,3,5,6 and 9 satisfy this requirement.

Was 99% sure there was a twist to the question. They don't give a diagram unless you have to use it but I just didn't have time haha.

Anyone get B for any of the last four? I had to guess the last 10 and for the last four I just put BBBB
For the question that referred to "Alistair" and his coded messages,
did anyone else get thursday?

I found that both thursday and saturday matched none of the codes, but then went for thursday as it shared the most letters with alistair but yet matched none.

I thought this afterwards. Then again I wasn't sure whether 'broken light' meant the individual parts or the whole light per floor. Oh well.
Original post by Dprince

I found that both thursday and saturday matched none of the codes, but then went for thursday as it shared the most letters with alistair but yet matched none.

Thought it might've been SOMETIME, since when you saw the code, that was the only one where the fourth and last letters were the same.
Reply 771
B was the answer to 50. For the question where a girl has to get to interview or some place, was she 10 minutes early according to the clock or 10 minutes late?

Also, was the total cost of packaging for the letter and parcel one £3.70? I assumed the parcel was within dimensions 1250cm (just using length and width)

Cheers
Original post by Dprince

I went for 'SOMETIME' as in the new, coded message - the 3rd and 7th, and 4th and 8th symbols were the same and those letters are the same in 'SOMETIME'.

I promised myself I wouldn't do a post-mortem. :lol:

ups u are right, i forgot in my post that the 9 was also counting, but have put it down in my answer, thank you!
Original post by Dprince

I think I got SOMETIME for it. It said he changed the coding every time, and the 3rd character matched the 7th, and the 4th matched the 8th. SOMETIME was the only one where that worked.
What'd people put for the one about cooking food? There were two possible ones, "be grateful that our ancestors learned to cook food" or smth like that, and "cooked food is easier to digest and healthier....blah"

Also the average temperature question in oxford, how'd you do that?
Original post by Jayzeee
B was the answer to 50. For the question where a girl has to get to interview or some place, was she 10 minutes early according to the clock or 10 minutes late?

Also, was the total cost of packaging for the letter and parcel one £3.70? I assumed the parcel was within dimensions 1250cm (just using length and width)

Cheers

I went for 10 minutes early. Can't remember about parcel one.
Original post by Yii Yann
Thought it might've been SOMETIME, since when you saw the code, that was the only one where the fourth and last letters were the same.

I think the method to do was to write out his name underneath the code he had sent and then to compare it to each of them. I think the "I" in sometime had the same code letter as the "I" in Alistair.
Anyone remember what they got for question 2 - the car-share one? I got down twelve, but didn't really spend enough time on it.
Reply 779
Original post by Yii Yann
What'd people put for the one about cooking food? There were two possible ones, "be grateful that our ancestors learned to cook food" or smth like that, and "cooked food is easier to digest and healthier....blah"

Also the average temperature question in oxford, how'd you do that?

Put ancestors discovered cooking as main conclusion. Not sure though...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending