The Student Room Group

How to make it through the year?

So I posted a month ago about me feeling awful at Uni. I didn't fit in, lost all my secondary school friends and was very lonely. The most common suggestion to making friends was join a society. I tried to take this advice but societies just aren't active at my Uni. The biggest society has 68 signed up members but only around 10 of them are active. The rest of the societies I just have no interest in and because there are so many campuses and so little advertising of societies at my Uni it's hard to start a society.

I try to talk to the people in my class but bar 1 person I don't have anything in common. Literally nothing. And a lot of my class came from the same school and have assumed the same social groups whereas I and the guy I have something in common with are the only outsiders.

I'm still feeling awful, very lonely and depressed about things but I have got a transfer at the end of the year. How do I make it through the year? I can't keep coming home depressed, lonely and hating myself. I'm not looking for pity, I'm not looking for people to feel sorry for me. I just want to know what I can do to relieve the dread of spending hours at Uni silent, bored and unhappy.
One word: Study

You know what you're at uni for, if you're stuck you should ask and you know who to ask
Original post by shawn_o1
One word: Study

You know what you're at uni for, if you're stuck you should ask and you know who to ask

So you're saying I should throw myself into my studies and block everything else out for the year?
Reply 3
You sound really depressed. May I know what uni you are in?

I think my sister was just like you during her first year. She didn't have any friends at all but I suggested her to go about, find activities. Then, she went on to this speed-dating thing. She ended up making friends from there. So, I'd say even if you're not joining a society, just join any activity you might feel interesting, just give it a go. Plus, don't be afraid to say hello to people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending