The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2015 applicants - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jayzeee
Put alcohol across all age groups has increased - not sure about that one as its possible not the most weakening one.

I think I put for the alcohol one, that more girls are getting prosecuted now. This would mean that even if same number of girls were doing illegal stuff now and then, there'd be a higher number of "crimes" now.
Original post by Yii Yann
Thought it might've been SOMETIME, since when you saw the code, that was the only one where the fourth and last letters were the same.

I put this aswell :smile:
Original post by FeelingFear
Does anyone remember the one about girls and alcohol, or/and the one about violent films?

For the violent films question, was it "people can tell the difference between fact and fiction quite easily"...?
For the violent films question, was it "people can tell the difference between fact and fiction quite easily"...?

This is what I put (I think).

Also for the one about women drinking I put that it also affects men drinking, but I wasn't sure if it was that one or the one about age. :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 824
I think I put for the alcohol one, that more girls are getting prosecuted now. This would mean that even if same number of girls were doing illegal stuff now and then, there'd be a higher number of "crimes" now.

Maybe im forgetting but was the conclusion of the argument something like we shouldnt allow alcohol / something attacking alcohol?
50 was the one about kids, senior citizens, adults and the proportion of them buying tickets right?

I put ten mins early, because she wasn't late for her train (watch ten mins early and train ten mins late cancels out), 15 mins late for idk what, then 5 mins late for walking. 20 mins late in total, clock is slower by 30 mins, so "earlier" by 10 mins.

I believe the question asked what time according to her watch was she late/early??

Yeah i got 3.70

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought about that, but it said 'offenses' in the passage - not prosecutions.
Original post by Jayzeee
Maybe im forgetting but was the conclusion of the argument something like we shouldnt allow alcohol / something attacking alcohol?

If I remb correctly it was about increase in girls drinking alcohol has led to an increase in crime among women? Then it was asked what would weaken the argument the most.

If I remember correctly, I didn't put that as was basically (i think) mentioned in the passage
Original post by Jayzeee
I agree with you on this one but for the losing 7.5 pounds one, he could have been really skinny though? Its the minimum speed he needs to walk no?

It was the minimum speed he needs to walk to lose that amount and its obviously easier to lose more weight when he's fat. So the minimum possible speed would be when his weight is the maximum possible, no?
If I remb correctly it was about increase in girls drinking alcohol has led to an increase in crime among women? Then it was asked what would weaken the argument the most.

Yeah I then put the one about it also happens in males for the most weakening one... Anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thinking about it, I probs got that one wrong. Do we all think the pass mark/interview thershold will be lowered this year?
Anyone got the answer to the one about losing 7.5 pounds, and the one about temperature in oxford?

The temperature one was really time consuming
You had to work out x in order to work out y
You could work out x because if you added x to the values of the 4 years after it and divided this number by 5 you would have the mean temperature of those 5 years, a value in the right hand column. Simple bit of simultaneous equations and you're golden. Once you had x you added it to the 4 numbers directly below it and divided this by 5 to get the mean of the 5 years which happened to be y which I think was 13.28?
Original post by FeelingFear
Thinking about it, I probs got that one wrong. Do we all think the pass mark/interview thershold will be lowered this year?

Well last year you had to get above 32/50, so... I don't think it'll be reduced. Probably around the same cutoff, although I'm hoping that the average for acceptance would be 38?
Reply 834
What did anyone get for the one with all the grandkids with the birthdays (something about leap years)?
What did everyone get about the conclusion on the passage relating to the police officer strike? Also what did you get for the assumption on the passage about the terminator films?
(edited 9 years ago)
I think it is the one with the most days from the beginning of the year. You just need to subtract the between 2 numbers and add 1, and then find one can be divided by 7.
I dont know if this has been stated, but the one about the bird seed... Did anyone else find that the actual maths didn't work out?
Reply 838
Oxford temperatures: I got 13.30 for this I THINK.

The actor who wants to lose 7.5lbs in 10 weeks: This question was missing a lot of necessary assumptions that I think we needed to make in order to solve it. Very strange. Anyway it seemed to be the lowest speed (2.5mph) if one assumed that the actor was maximum fat and would continue jogging 26km a week for the other 8 weeks as well. Weird stuff.

Alcohol and girls: More police are charging the girls for petty crime. This is because if this is true - i.e. that police used to let them go with just slaps on the wrist, but are actively prosecuting them now - then that would correctly account for the increase in crime rates by younger girls, not necessarily the increase in alcohol.

Library question: I felt this should be that "most people don't really go to the library to borrow books anymore".

Bird seed: Math seemed to work out fine. It was a nice round number - 500g I think.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 839
Original post by Imadinosaur2213
I dont know if this has been stated, but the one about the bird seed... Did anyone else find that the actual maths didn't work out?

I got 500g/500 calories for that, which ended up being the simplest calculation for the whole question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending