The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2015 applicants - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by totoro1997
What did everyone get about the conclusion on the passage relating to the police officer strike? Also what did you get for the assumption on the passage about the terminator films?

I think the conclusion was that there'd be a full strength and higher paid police force, although I'm severely unsure about this.

The terminator film one was Arnold talking about having textbooks on electronic devices right? I put assumption was that electronic devices would be cheaper than textbooks.
Reply 841
Original post by daisydai
I think it is the one with the most days from the beginning of the year. You just need to subtract the between 2 numbers and add 1, and then find one can be divided by 7.

yes :smile: I think I did a pretty roundabout method but I did get that it needed to be one that was divisible by seven so I put the 350th
Original post by daisydai
I think it is the one with the most days from the beginning of the year. You just need to subtract the between 2 numbers and add 1, and then find one can be divided by 7.

Are you talking about the birthdays question (with the leap years)? I put the last one. 350 days or smth.
What did people get for the combination lock question? It was something along the lines of the number of combinations of three different digits between 000 and 999. Also, what did you put for the one about humans and animals understanding maths and opening doors/learning from experience?
Original post by GailQ
What did anyone get for the one with all the grandkids with the birthdays (something about leap years)?

I think it was E which was Ralph, the kid born in December.

They were born on the same day of the week, which meant that the difference between their birthdays had to be a multiple of 7 days.

It said their birthdays were 100, 200, 300, days after his. The girls were born on the 123 and 321 days of the year which were some number of days after his i don't remember.

Since he was the only one born before february 29, in a leap year those number become 101, 201, 301, days after his. The girls became some numbers that weren't divisible by 7 days after him

301 is divisible by 7, so they are born on the same day of the week
Original post by economicsrocks
What did people get for the combination lock question? It was something along the lines of the number of combinations of three different digits between 000 and 999. Also, what did you put for the one about humans and animals understanding maths and opening doors/learning from experience?

Probably got this wrong but I put 720. 10 X 9 X 8 = 720.

I got C, 720, and the answer which was like "It assumes that being able to learn from experience is not a mathematical skill"
Original post by Yii Yann
Probably got this wrong but I put 720. 10 X 9 X 8 = 720.

Oh I made it 90 X 9 = 810, but I wasn't sure what it was! I think you're right with that one :tongue:
Reply 848
Is anyone kicking themselves for panicking during the exam when they know they could have done better :frown:
Reply 849
720, electronic devices < textbooks price, experience != mathematical skill I remember agreeing with...

What did people put for the octahedron?
Original post by tsc10
Is anyone kicking themselves for panicking during the exam when they know they could have done better :frown:

Yes!:frown: I did well in the practices but screwed this up so much.
Original post by BanterTrain
I got C, 720, and the answer which was like "It assumes that being able to learn from experience is not a mathematical skill"

I put 810, but I'm pretty sure that was wrong. I can't remember with the second one, but I think I put that (I hope so anyway :tongue:)
Does anyone remember the t-rex one? Seeing some of the answers here, I highly doubt I have an interview...
Reply 853
Original post by LevCrofts
Yes!:frown: I did well in the practices but screwed this up so much.

Same I'm just SO ANNOYED with myself...why didn't I just stay calm???
Original post by GailQ
yes :smile: I think I did a pretty roundabout method but I did get that it needed to be one that was divisible by seven so I put the 350th

It has to be divisible by 7 after you take 1 away from it, so I'm pretty sure 350th is wrong because 349/7 is not an integer.

I can't remember what I put, but it was one where if you took 1 away from it then it would divide by 7
Reply 855
Original post by seblucken
Done the exam this morning, thought it was relatively OK. Essay question was alright. Ran out of time and had to scribble in randomly for the last 7 I'd say, and obviously couldn't answer all of them correct because I thought some were ridiculous. Really worried about my mark though. Does anyone know how the raw marks and acceptance rates work - as well as interview rates. I've seen some post some ideas but does anyone have a credible source or an educated guess on how they are.

I feel like I will only get like 55 marks but could be doing the usual and over worrying. But is there absolutely no chance of getting in if you don't do as well as others? Like do they sit down and not even consider people who got below a certain mark??

PLEASE REPLY

When I went on the open day they said that for PPE they basically take the top 40% of TSA scorers (give or take a few for good academic results) and bring them to interview
Original post by anonwinner
It has to be divisible by 7 after you take 1 away from it, so I'm pretty sure 350th is wrong because 349/7 is not an integer.

I can't remember what I put, but it was one where if you took 1 away from it then it would divide by 7

If i remb correctly, it was the 350th day of the year. The guy's birthday was feb 18th. So you had to minus 31 (jan) + 18 from 350, giving you 301, which is divisible by 7.

EDIT: Hold on something feels wrong here...since leap year, you would get 351 days, minus 49 gives 302 which isn't divisible by 7... I think the correct answer might've been the one with 321 days. Since 321 + 1 (for leap year), minus 49, divisible by 7.

EDIT EDIT: Oh hold on, you had to have one number after it's divisible by 7. Because if its divisible by 7, you wouldn't get the same day would you? You'd get the previous day, so you had to add a day. So I think 350 is correct...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by FeelingFear
Does anyone remember the t-rex one? Seeing some of the answers here, I highly doubt I have an interview...

I think I vaguely remember this...was this the one about the scientist saying they should change the name because the method of naming horses from ages ago was weird or am I thinking of something completely different?!
Reply 858
Does anyone remember the question about the restaurant bill? I had the second most expensive..
I think I vaguely remember this...was this the one about the scientist saying they should change the name because the method of naming horses from ages ago was weird or am I thinking of something completely different?!

Oh I think you've confused that with a question from the 2013 paper

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending