The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2360
Original post by hussel
Wow, hopefully you would get in! And Dw u will get in to a vet school! :smile:
Well my teacher gave me foundation paper the other day cause that's what she expects from me even though last year i was out down for higher. My teacher really hates tbh she just thinks i am some depressed lazy girl that doesn't give a crap about her English GCSE but actually i get A's in other subjects and i work soooo hard just to get a C in English!. Seriously i doubt that i would get in to medicine with a C in English.

Sorry again it's just i had a rough day in English today cuz i was listening the whole time but when it come to the task i literally almost puked cuz i was that stressed about not understanding anything

I'm sure you could work your way around the English, I'm sure you can get higher than a C but even if you didn't, as long as you present yourself well enough as someone with the other good grades and someone who would be perfect for medicine, universities would be able to overlook it. They do do that you know :P

And as for the sixth form with the points system, it's pretty impressive huh! For a state sixth form that's amazing, needless to say I handed in my application straight away :")

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Echo98
I'm sure you could work your way around the English, I'm sure you can get higher than a C but even if you didn't, as long as you present yourself well enough as someone with the other good grades and someone who would be perfect for medicine, universities would be able to overlook it. They do do that you know :P

And as for the sixth form with the points system, it's pretty impressive huh! For a state sixth form that's amazing, needless to say I handed in my application straight away :")

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh really i never knew about that! That's good then :smile:
And good thing you striaght away handed in your application form, i would do the same :ahee::facepalm:
Anyways i am off now
Original post by Kyou
Is Before I Go To Sleep really that good of a book? My first impressions of it weren't that spectacular.

It's a fantastic book, you read the book from the perspective of Christine, the main character, on a certain day. Christine (and you, because that's the book) reads through a diary, and if the Christine from two days ago forgot to write anything down, you the reader don't know what happened two days ago either. The second part is from the perspective of Christine again, but this time, instead of reading her journal, she is actually doing stuff. (Not that she doesn't do stuff in the journal, that is).

I think you should DEFINITELY read it!
Original post by Jitesh
Anyone here interested in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery too?

Me me me :biggrin: max fax is the dream :smile: When i was on work experience I saw implants being put in and it was sooooo cool :biggrin:
Original post by usycool1
My brother's in Year 11 too (do I get him to join TSR, I wonder? :iiam:) and is currently doing his English language creative writing coursework. :yep:

I never really liked English when I was in Year 11 (dropped it as soon as I could after GCSEs :tongue:) but after helping him with his, I'm really beginning to fall in love with it. We've come up with some pretty good ideas together, and that's saying something for me!

Ah that's nice :smile: I didn't really enjoy English in Years 8 and 9 but ever since Year 10 I've really been loving it again! What A Levels are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Peachy23
Haha to be fair, I'm not all that great at maths and science either :smile: it might be something to do with the fact that I am completely unwilling to revise :P I am honestly the biggest procrastinator and the probably the world's laziest person. I know that if I tried I could do well :wink: we did all 3 pieces of coursework last year and it really peeves me that I got high A*'s in all 3 but got ok marks in the speaking and listening's so now overall I've got one mark off an A*! Having to redo one of my speaking's :frown: absolutely hate speaking and listening, I just can't do it because I'm so awkward haha

I have a huge procrastination problem too haha! At the beginning of Year 10 we were told that our course didn't include speaking and listening which I was really happy about, although all of us each had to do a speech in front of our class in Year 10 for our school's annual public speaking contest which was horrible :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys has anyone done their additional science ISA yet? If you did what was your score? And does anyone know what the mark will be for an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kimberlymegsx
Hey guys has anyone done their additional science ISA yet? If you did what was your score? And does anyone know what the mark will be for an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did it last year. Still no mark :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Purple-Pixie
I have a huge procrastination problem too haha! At the beginning of Year 10 we were told that our course didn't include speaking and listening which I was really happy about, although all of us each had to do a speech in front of our class in Year 10 for our school's annual public speaking contest which was horrible :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We were made to do the first speaking and listening and were later told that they're not using it anymore and we don't need to it. I was so happy but a few days later, they told us that we actually were going to do it and we had to do 3 :frown: worst thing ever. Although your speech sounds much worse since I asked the teacher if I could do it on my own at lunchtime :smile:
Original post by gogojakeo
Media is VERY fun, I just finished writing the first draft for my script for my third and final assignment, which takes most, if not all of year 11, up until study leave. It help that I like media :biggrin:
As for business, it's quite fun, you don't think that you appreciate how complex businesses are until you do a qualification It was quite awkward when I learnt that my year 11 business teacher would be my sister's childhood friend who has known me since I was born! :biggrin:
I like dystopian books, and I will usually read the book before I see the film version. I enjoyed Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson (which I recommend to ANYONE who likes a nice mystery novel), although I didn't like how they adapted it into a film, they literally removed the main plot device. I also enjoyed the Hunger Game trilogy, and also the first Maze Runner book, am waiting to buy the next one. I also am reading the Gone series, which is AMAZING!
As for Japan, I just love the culture and the country, and also the language. As for Canada, I don't really know, but I know that I am slightly interested in moving there when i'm older. Perhaps it's because I love winter?
Yeah... I also forgot to add the fact that she's a qualified English teacher, and both my school and the school that she teaches at do Edexcel! So it's AMAZING! :biggrin:

Woah, I really quoted you a lot...

It's fine - came up as only 1 notification :smile:

Wow. Now that IS lucky! Would love to have an older sibling was was qualified to teach me. Must be awkward with the whole 'teacher is my sister's friend' thing though...

:eek3: Are you sure you're not my opposite gender clone...???? LOVE dystopian novels (though Harry Poter isn't... and I'm obsessed :colondollar:) Hunger games and the Maze runner tho! YAAAAAS! Btw, read all 4 of the Maze runner books so really tempted to give you spoilers. Hehe, dw, I'll refrain. :biggrin: Just saying, the second book changes things a lot. :wink:

Might read Before I go to sleep and the Gone series on your recommendation. :smile: Moved it up my 'To read' list. Haha.

Original post by Kyou
Well, it seems you and I have a lot in common. I've read all of the Gone and Maze Runner series of books, and their genre (dystopian) is generally my favorite. Is Before I Go To Sleep really that good of a book? My first impressions of it weren't that spectacular.

Otherwise, welcome :smile:.

:five: Aha, another clone! :biggrin: See above :rolleyes:. Have you read 'Brave New World'? Read an extract and seemed really good. Opinions if you have? (#nospoilersplease)
Original post by SANTR
Hey,

Any Romeo and Juliet experts on here? :colondollar:

Here! :biggrin:

I'm doing it for English Lit and finished analysing the play before half term so quote me if you need help! Might be able to help. No guarantees tho. :wink:
Haha to be fair, I'm not all that great at maths and science either :smile: it might be something to do with the fact that I am completely unwilling to revise :P I am honestly the biggest procrastinator and the probably the world's laziest person. I know that if I tried I could do well :wink: we did all 3 pieces of coursework last year and it really peeves me that I got high A*'s in all 3 but got ok marks in the speaking and listening's so now overall I've got one mark off an A*! Having to redo one of my speaking's :frown: absolutely hate speaking and listening, I just can't do it because I'm so awkward haha

Well you haven't met me... So lazy and procrastinate to the point that I uhhhhh. :biggrin:

Just imagine that, if you are giving your presentation to your english class or whatever, you're talking to only one person and concentrate on looking at them. :smile: And then just switch person now and then so you're not acting like a creepy person :colone: and excluding the rest of your audience. It worked for me as I'm quite shy in front of audiences and get mild stage fright.... :frown: It makes a bit better if i'm not addressing so much people at the same time.... (even if i technically am...).
Not sure if that made sense. :/ Hope it helps you too! :smile:
Anyone done/did Hamlet? I studied it last year and found it really interesting, contrary to the majority of my class :lol:
We were made to do the first speaking and listening and were later told that they're not using it anymore and we don't need to it. I was so happy but a few days later, they told us that we actually were going to do it and we had to do 3 :frown: worst thing ever. Although your speech sounds much worse since I asked the teacher if I could do it on my own at lunchtime :smile:

Lucky you, we had to do ours in front of the class :frown: It wasn't too bad though because we were all in the same position. I was too nervous to even look up from my sheet of paper that I had in front of me :colondollar:
Original post by Purple-Pixie
Ah that's nice :smile: I didn't really enjoy English in Years 8 and 9 but ever since Year 10 I've really been loving it again! What A Levels are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've already done my A-Levels. :yep:

I'm currently taking a gap year and doing various things atm. :smile:
Original post by Gilo98
Anyone done/did Hamlet? I studied it last year and found it really interesting, contrary to the majority of my class :lol:

I haven't studied it but I have seen it (and am seeing it again this time next year), it's a wonderful play :yep:
Original post by Gingerbread101
I haven't studied it but I have seen it (and am seeing it again this time next year), it's a wonderful play :yep:

The perhaps only thing that I like about shakespeare's plays are the historical and cultural context of the plays - quite ignorantly, I dont really appreciate it for anything else :colondollar:. But I truly do find the historical/cultural/social insight his plays give fascinating!

I must go see a shakespeare play performed, I've only been to the theatre a couple of times :frown:
Original post by Gilo98
The perhaps only thing that I like about shakespeare's plays are the historical and cultural context of the plays - quite ignorantly, I dont really appreciate it for anything else :colondollar:. But I truly do find the historical/cultural/social insight his plays give fascinating!

I must go see a shakespeare play performed, I've only been to the theatre a couple of times :frown:

When you see them performed, it really lets you appreciate the language too :yes: although the social aspects are pretty good too :smile:

You should, they were meant to be seen rather than read after all :rolleyes:
Original post by turn-to-page394
Well you haven't met me... So lazy and procrastinate to the point that I uhhhhh. :biggrin:

Just imagine that, if you are giving your presentation to your english class or whatever, you're talking to only one person and concentrate on looking at them. :smile: And then just switch person now and then so you're not acting like a creepy person :colone: and excluding the rest of your audience. It worked for me as I'm quite shy in front of audiences and get mild stage fright.... :frown: It makes a bit better if i'm not addressing so much people at the same time.... (even if i technically am...).
Not sure if that made sense. :/ Hope it helps you too! :smile:

Haha :smile: thanks for the tips! To be honest, I'm still not sure if that would work for me since I ended up asking the teacher if I could do mine at lunchtime alone as we had the option to do that too. I still got a 7/10 which isn't that great :/ so I have to redo it :frown:
Original post by Gingerbread101
When you see them performed, it really lets you appreciate the language too :yes: although the social aspects are pretty good too :smile:

You should, they were meant to be seen rather than read after all :rolleyes:

I can imagine, and yep aha, I suppose :mmm:

Latest