The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Red Lightning
Thanks, I like the notebook idea.That way, I can easily I remember all the feedback I have been given.

As well as making you a better teacher the reflection will help you with observations- it's easier to deal with criticism if you've already identified that area for improvement yourself I find!

Original post by Sam89
I know it's a big topic to open up - but does anyone feel (going into secondary) that primary would have been better suited for them?

Not saying it's 'easier' but for me at least a) subject knowledge isn't the strongest and I feel I have double the work learning stuff and planning, creating resources at the same time b) I've been in both environments and lower school children usually stop misbehaving at the most with a shout (though that's not even needed) but not for me specifically though with other teachers i've seen some have an attitude and try to humiliate the teacher - with some, if they hold a grudge that's it the teacher has had it.

I have heard though that once you get QTS you can teach primary or any other subject for that matter - this is true right?

You can legally teach 3-18 with QTS. As already said it's obviously harder to get a job in a different age group to the one you initially trained for. They will want to know why you're switching, as well as seeing evidence you have the skills needed (if you really decide you'd prefer primary start collecting little bits of this). Things like pastoral work, coordinating everything for one child (IEPs, assessment in all subjects etc), working with the same children all the time, teaching things you know next to nothing about before research.

It's not unheard of. I have met people who've gone both ways, though I think a lot also depends on lucky circumstances of finding the right post and school!

Maybe starting with some outreach stuff with local primaries would be a good start, once you're qualified. Or maybe see if there's a summer opportunity in primary.

xxx
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr CS
That's my first lesson done and dusted. Now to go plan a load more. :biggrin:

First is definitely the hardest. I'm on my third today and it gets easier. Would help if I didn't see my mentor the day before though... he's in the habit of adding some sort of activity that requires lots of new resources for a ten minute activity.

Original post by Samus2
Taught my first solo lessons today...

it didn't go bad, but it also didn't go well...

I feel so out of my depth right now. I know it will get easier and I can't expect to be good when I've never taught anything before, but, I just feel so stressed and upset.

I'm really struggling to plan lessons and for a particular lesson, there is nothing on TES :/

You've done your first one and that is definitely the hardest one. There will still be difficult ones but nothing like that first time in the classroom. You've survived and you probably noted bits that need work but also things that went well.

Focus on the positives and work on everything else bit by bit. You're a trainee at the very start of training, you aren't meant to be brilliant or even good yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I'm into my 3rd week of placement.

In the 2 weeks before half term we were observing lessons and getting used to the school. Since coming back I now have 2 classes that I have responsibility for and I'm really starting to feel the pressure. I know that 5 hours teaching a week is nothing compared to NQT etc. but I'm finding it really tough. My planning is slow because i am constantly striving for perfection whilst struggling with resources.

I've also suffered from anxiety in the past and am relying more and more on beta blockers in the more difficult classes I observe in which is worrying me. But I'm not really sure what to do about it :/ or whether I should tell anyone or just get on with it...
Had another awful lesson today :awesome: . In fact, I've never had a good lesson. To be honest I'm feeling so negative about the whole thing now that I don't even care when I come out of a bad lesson. I'm used to it by now :lol: . Hmm.
Original post by GooglyEyedMonster

In the 2 weeks before half term we were observing lessons and getting used to the school. Since coming back I now have 2 classes that I have responsibility for and I'm really starting to feel the pressure. I know that 5 hours teaching a week is nothing compared to NQT etc. but I'm finding it really tough. My planning is slow because i am constantly striving for perfection whilst struggling with resources.

I've also suffered from anxiety in the past and am relying more and more on beta blockers in the more difficult classes I observe in which is worrying me. But I'm not really sure what to do about it :/ or whether I should tell anyone or just get on with it...

Hey. I totally know how you feel. I have 7 hours a week (well will do when it builds up to it in a week or two), and it feels pathetic moaning about it considering it's such a small fraction of a real teaching timetable, but I guess it's all relative.

I suffer from anxiety and depression and I am always wondering whether I should tell someone, but then I think, why? I don't really know what anyone would do about it apart from probably judge me or something (I don't care what people say, mental health is still stigmatised). I declared it on my occupational health but never told uni or school. I have weekly counselling sessions with the NHS which were only available in the daytime, so my mentor has let me go on a morning I don't have lessons, but gladly she's never asked what it's for, which I'm grateful about. I've never taken beta blockers. I have benzodiazepines but they are pretty extreme and also addictive so I can't take them often. Do you find the beta blockers help?
Original post by GooglyEyedMonster

Original post by Airfairy
Had another awful lesson today :awesome: . In fact, I've never had a good lesson. To be honest I'm feeling so negative about the whole thing now that I don't even care when I come out of a bad lesson. I'm used to it by now :lol: . Hmm.

Hey. I totally know how you feel. I have 7 hours a week (well will do when it builds up to it in a week or two), and it feels pathetic moaning about it considering it's such a small fraction of a real teaching timetable, but I guess it's all relative.

I suffer from anxiety and depression and I am always wondering whether I should tell someone, but then I think, why? I don't really know what anyone would do about it apart from probably judge me or something (I don't care what people say, mental health is still stigmatised). I declared it on my occupational health but never told uni or school. I have weekly counselling sessions with the NHS which were only available in the daytime, so my mentor has let me go on a morning I don't have lessons, but gladly she's never asked what it's for, which I'm grateful about. I've never taken beta blockers. I have benzodiazepines but they are pretty extreme and also addictive so I can't take them often. Do you find the beta blockers help?

It's really a very personal decision as to whether to tell the uni. In the situation I think I would have told my mentor because we got on very well and all my tutors were so supportive. I had a heart condition which, at the time, could have occurred during school. I was really worried they'd say I couldn't do stuff but actually it never even came up apart from when I needed time off which they were very supportive about. But it depends on your relationship with your tutors and how you feel personally about your health. Although they might not be able to support you more directly it could help if you feel they know a bit more about the issues you're facing so can be more understanding.

I know exactly the feeling with the hours thing. I remember thinking "As a full tine teacher I will have to teach 5x this!!!" And thinking there aren't enough hours. It obviously is time consuming, but the extra teaching time is balanced with an increase in speed through getting more practice, having more ideas, having resources ready made, knowing children better etc. Plus having no assignments and less professional development to worry about helps it take a similar amount of time to now when you're fully fledged.

Also, regarding observations- you do get more used to it as time passes. I was terrified when I started but you get a lot more confident. I can't speak from experience regarding anxiety but in general it does become a bit like second nature to have someone in with you. Plus it's better the more you get to know the observer.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
First official lesson observation tomorrow - not too nervous yet but saying that, i probably won't sleep!
I had my first observation today. Obviously I had some areas of development but overall it went really well and my tutor was very impressed. Such a relief...I might be able to sleep tonight!!
My differentiation sucks. I asked another teacher in my department as she's teaching the same content to another group of year 7 students and she said she'd struggle to differentiate too.

*grumbles*

It's so hard working within the limits of a piece of software - there's only so much I can show the brilliant students without excluding the others or making it so that the smart ones have additional work. Surely additional work isn't a good thing and they're smart enough to realise that doing well = more work? And leveled worksheets won't work as if they steam ahead with the content, they'll have to go back to it when the others catch up anyway so that'll just lead to boredom :frown:
Yayy, my first observation went well!
Original post by ParadoxSocks
My differentiation sucks. I asked another teacher in my department as she's teaching the same content to another group of year 7 students and she said she'd struggle to differentiate too.

*grumbles*

It's so hard working within the limits of a piece of software - there's only so much I can show the brilliant students without excluding the others or making it so that the smart ones have additional work. Surely additional work isn't a good thing and they're smart enough to realise that doing well = more work? And leveled worksheets won't work as if they steam ahead with the content, they'll have to go back to it when the others catch up anyway so that'll just lead to boredom :frown:

How about setting separate tasks from the off? You could give an intro to the concepts then set tasks, then ask a group to stay with you to talk for longer and set them a different but related task. This could be a chance to explain more in depth concepts to your "haps" or a chance to go over something which a group needs more support on.

Consider getting the pupils to self assess which task they need to do as well. After a little practice they are pretty good at it! Obviously some guidance is needed, especially at first or if you have a pupil with confidence issues. Use the ends of lessons at first to reflect on their choices.

Then the final part of your lesson can involve sharing ideas about what they learnt or something related to the overall concept that they should all have learnt.

Try not to think of it as a linear journey of learning 1, 2, 3, 4 with some pupils "further ahead". Think of it as you are teaching a topic and all pupils have different prior knowledge/skills so each of them is going to have a different outcome by the end of the topic.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
How about setting separate tasks from the off? You could give an intro to the concepts then set tasks, then ask a group to stay with you to talk for longer and set them a different but related task. This could be a chance to explain more in depth concepts to your "haps" or a chance to go over something which a group needs more support on.

Consider getting the pupils to self assess which task they need to do as well. After a little practice they are pretty good at it! Obviously some guidance is needed, especially at first or if you have a pupil with confidence issues. Use the ends of lessons at first to reflect on their choices.

Then the final part of your lesson can involve sharing ideas about what they learnt or something related to the overall concept that they should all have learnt.

Try not to think of it as a linear journey of learning 1, 2, 3, 4 with some pupils "further ahead". Think of it as you are teaching a topic and all pupils have different prior knowledge/skills so each of them is going to have a different outcome by the end of the topic.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your advice. My issue is that I'm skills based so my pupils do need to go through 4 and 5 to get to 6. It's incredibly frustrating. All I can think of doing is going off syllabus with some of them. They're already pushing at the ceiling of the module.

Had a good lesson in the end though. My differentiation was awful at the top end as I expected but with feedback I have a bit of hope for next week's lesson. There's apparently no way to avoid going over the stuff more than once so I'll use your advice about small groups staying to learn a bit more and then letting them get on with it when I teach the others later.

I've also gone from supporting a new unit to a year 9 class to teaching the whole thing. I think I'm worried about higher years :frown:

So next week I'm teaching 3 classes, doing a pupil pursuit, sitting in on an English class or two and I'm becoming a form tutor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey.
I am aware this probably isn't the right thread to post in but I have a primary pgce interview next week and I just wondered if anybody would like to give me any advice about interviews and personal experience you may have encountered!
Good luck to all those trainee teachers BTW, I am sure you are doing an amazing job!! Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swarfliam
Yayy, my first observation went well!

Well done! Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I m in KS1, and I had my first teacher observation today, while I was working with a group. They are the lowest ability group in the class, and I really felt down afterwards because I thought I did badly, and then started work with a literacy group, which seemed to be going downhill rapidly. However, we had to stop for break, and continue afterwards. They worked much better, and my observation feedback was good.

It is so true that this course is up and down all the time. Sometimes during/after a session I think to myself "what am I doing, I am so bad at this", but then you have to good experience and your whole mood changes. I have surprised myself this week, because even if I have struggled at certain points during the day, I am still looking forward to the next day, to see if I can improve. I guess at the moment I am enjoying the challenge, and hopefully that won't change!

Does anybody else find it hard sometimes to get a group to listen to you at the start of a session, or to work quietly without calling for your attention all the time? My teacher said I managed behaviour well today, but I was with a smaller group than usual, which helped. I know it should eventually start coming together, but I feel like this is my biggest issue at the moment.
My school haven't got any more organised, but I've somehow ended up teaching five full lessons and a starter in another next week, which I'm really excited for. I'm teaching two experiments - which is obviously a lot of work to organise, and I still have to try them out - and teaching a revision lesson, plus getting pupils to produce and present a presentation, assessed by me (exciting). It's been a lot of work - and I've basically ignored my university work for much of the week - but it feels really good to be finally getting involved and beginning to take over classes.

Original post by adastraz
I m in KS1, and I had my first teacher observation today, while I was working with a group. They are the lowest ability group in the class, and I really felt down afterwards because I thought I did badly, and then started work with a literacy group, which seemed to be going downhill rapidly. However, we had to stop for break, and continue afterwards. They worked much better, and my observation feedback was good.

It is so true that this course is up and down all the time. Sometimes during/after a session I think to myself "what am I doing, I am so bad at this", but then you have to good experience and your whole mood changes. I have surprised myself this week, because even if I have struggled at certain points during the day, I am still looking forward to the next day, to see if I can improve. I guess at the moment I am enjoying the challenge, and hopefully that won't change!

Does anybody else find it hard sometimes to get a group to listen to you at the start of a session, or to work quietly without calling for your attention all the time? My teacher said I managed behaviour well today, but I was with a smaller group than usual, which helped. I know it should eventually start coming together, but I feel like this is my biggest issue at the moment.

I'm secondary, so I doubt I can give any practical tips. But what I can say is that pupils will always test you for a few weeks - they want to find your limits, and pushing against them is the best way to do that. Be consistent, stay calm and be clear as to your expectations and things should quieten down in a few weeks.

I do too. My teacher has told me that I need to assert my authority at the beginning of every lesson. I clap for attention and most of them stop, then I ask them to put everything they are holding down and to turn round and face the board. I'm experimenting with praising the ones who are sitting really nicely instead of the ones talking, but most of the gabby ones just keep going unless I call them out tbh!

I've also found that they fiddle with jotters and worksheets and things when they are in front of them. So I've started putting the whole group's jotters in a bundle on their desks instead, that helps.

It's really difficult. My teacher told me to stop talking as soon I see them holding a pencil or jotter, but it's so stop start. Plus, I feel like a bitch :colondollar:

I am totally exhausted too. I am really struggling with differentiation, because of the range of abilities in my class. Some can barely read or write (:frown:) but others are really, really good. It's so frustrating, because our lecturers are so against ability grouping, and I don't want to be marked down for doing that, but... there's really nothing else I can do!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by katie543
Hey.
I am aware this probably isn't the right thread to post in but I have a primary pgce interview next week and I just wondered if anybody would like to give me any advice about interviews and personal experience you may have encountered!
Good luck to all those trainee teachers BTW, I am sure you are doing an amazing job!! Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

See my post a page or two back about interviews!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you want them to work without constantly coming to you you could try a prop like a crown- when you wear the crown they can't come and ask questions (unless there's an emergency).

Also try using prompts/reminders for strategies they can use if they're stuck. Read information again, use a classroom resource, ask a friend for help, try a different method etc. Make posters of it and stick then about- there are plenty ready made on pinterest etc- and then every time someone comes to ask go though and check they've tried all those things first. They'll soon get bored of being asked and just try them all first.

Behaviour management is always always hard at first! If you can do well in a group you're off to a good start :smile:

I worked with a class where the teacher said they were never "well behaved" both before and after break, it was one or the other lol.

Xxx

Original post by peony flowers
I do too. My teacher has told me that I need to assert my authority at the beginning of every lesson. I clap for attention and most of them stop, then I ask them to put everything they are holding down and to turn round and face the board. I'm experimenting with praising the ones who are sitting really nicely instead of the ones talking, but most of the gabby ones just keep going unless I call them out tbh!

I've also found that they fiddle with jotters and worksheets and things when they are in front of them. So I've started putting the whole group's jotters in a bundle on their desks instead, that helps.

It's really difficult. My teacher told me to stop talking as soon I see them holding a pencil or jotter, but it's so stop start. Plus, I feel like a bitch :colondollar:

I am totally exhausted too. I am really struggling with differentiation, because of the range of abilities in my class. Some can barely read or write (:frown:) but others are really, really good. It's so frustrating, because our lecturers are so against ability grouping, and I don't want to be marked down for doing that, but... there's really nothing else I can do!

Instead of grouping you could try getting them to choose the activities themselves. That avoids putting a lid on their learning. There is a good case study about The Wroxham School on the a curriculum that counts website, where they did this, and they explain it better than I can!

http://acurriculumthatcounts.org.uk/case-studies/the-wroxham-school/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm jealous about everyone who says they get excited when teaching a full lesson! I'm the exact opposite...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Thank you for your advice. My issue is that I'm skills based so my pupils do need to go through 4 and 5 to get to 6. It's incredibly frustrating. All I can think of doing is going off syllabus with some of them. They're already pushing at the ceiling of the module.

Had a good lesson in the end though. My differentiation was awful at the top end as I expected but with feedback I have a bit of hope for next week's lesson. There's apparently no way to avoid going over the stuff more than once so I'll use your advice about small groups staying to learn a bit more and then letting them get on with it when I teach the others later.

I've also gone from supporting a new unit to a year 9 class to teaching the whole thing. I think I'm worried about higher years :frown:

So next week I'm teaching 3 classes, doing a pupil pursuit, sitting in on an English class or two and I'm becoming a form tutor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah well there's no point redoing something they've already done just because the syllabus says so. Syllabi are there to help make sure you cover everything, rather than restrict you. I know it can be hard though, especially as a trainee, of the school does things a certain way. So don't feel bad about it, this kind of thing needs a lot of practice and experimentation to get used to.

The only other thing I can think of is having those who are further teach others in some way. This will reinforce it for them and give other students a different perspective which could help them learn. It doesn't have to be direct- it could be them making a presentation, Game or quiz, textbook chapter... Or you could do a sort of "extended project" for them, using all the skills, to work on through lessons and present to others at the end of the topic. Then it's less like "you have extra work if you finish the first work each lesson", more, you've already covered everything so now use it.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending