The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

The Official Ask Aston Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey is this years freshers starting on the 27th? And when are most first year students moving into on campus accommodation?

Also, out of lakeside, James watt (I forget the other one), which one is most popular and preferred do You think?
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Hi

I have a question regarding busaries. I've qualified for the Excellence Busary because I met the grade requirements and I think I might get the Household one because my household income is below £25K. The website states that you dont get your busary money until anytime between feburary and may of 2015 (which is stupid in my opinion) but it also states that you can use your busary to reduce the accomodation price overall.

So i'm kind of confused, does waiting until 2015 only apply to cash busaries? Can you reduce the overall amount you would need to pay from when you start or can you only reduce the price in 2015? (which again, would be pretty stupid, because you would have paid off most of it already by then)

Thanks.
Reply 62
Hi, regarding the face to face enrolment, we need to bring in two documents. One for ID so a passport and another for qualifications, is that for GCSEs and A-Level transcripts?
Original post by ItsjustJayJ
Hi

I have a question regarding busaries. I've qualified for the Excellence Busary because I met the grade requirements and I think I might get the Household one because my household income is below £25K. The website states that you dont get your busary money until anytime between feburary and may of 2015 (which is stupid in my opinion) but it also states that you can use your busary to reduce the accomodation price overall.

So i'm kind of confused, does waiting until 2015 only apply to cash busaries? Can you reduce the overall amount you would need to pay from when you start or can you only reduce the price in 2015? (which again, would be pretty stupid, because you would have paid off most of it already by then)

Thanks.

Scholarships tend to start from term two as to protect the university, students may leave very early on among other things. If you have more detailed questions your best bet is to send an email to registry.

Original post by mazam
Hi, regarding the face to face enrolment, we need to bring in two documents. One for ID so a passport and another for qualifications, is that for GCSEs and A-Level transcripts?

You should bring certificates for every qualification you have, only bring transcripts if you do not yet have the certificate, however i wouldn't stress too much, normally if you applied through UCAS they wont need to see your certificates.
Original post by Aston University
Scholarships tend to start from term two as to protect the university, students may leave very early on among other things. If you have more detailed questions your best bet is to send an email to registry.

I did and they were rather vague about it and never really gave a clear answer, hence why I came on the forums to seek help.

I don't see how reducing my accomodation price hinders the university at all. if they reduced my accomodation and I left the uni (not that I will) it in no way, shape or form affects them because it isn't like that gave me any money, its merely an agreement to reduce my accomodation fee (which I would still have to pay anyway, as I signed a legally binding contract)

If I am unable to do this, I will be severly disapointed.
Could you tell me around what time should I be expecting an offer from Aston : )
Original post by powerpuff_girl
Could you tell me around what time should I be expecting an offer from Aston : )

Hi there, offers are variable on a number of factors mainly the status of your qualifications, if you don't yet have your A Levels or equivalent a full offer will be made on results day, before then you will receive a conditional offer sometime soon, apologies but there is no strict timeline to the admissions process.
Hello,

I have Aston as one of my UCAS options and upon research I think it would be a really good fit for me.
Unfortunately I've missed your open days so I've been unable to ask questions. Upon looking at the Which? Uni stats, I see that Business and Management has an offer rate of 68% compared to Business and Management with Public Policy at 84%. Also, the grades are AAB and ABB respectively from what I can tell.

At AS I achieved ABBB, although this year I'm hoping to achieve at least AAB, if not my predicted grades of AAA. Would I have a better chance of getting in by choosing Business and Management with Public Policy? I study Geography, Business and Media and I enjoy looking at wider concepts within society, so I feel I would enjoy the Public Policy side of things. However, for my other choices I have just chosen Business Management. Just wondering that on the basis of receiving an offer, would this be a safer/less popular option?
Original post by SallyMichelle
Hello,

I have Aston as one of my UCAS options and upon research I think it would be a really good fit for me.
Unfortunately I've missed your open days so I've been unable to ask questions. Upon looking at the Which? Uni stats, I see that Business and Management has an offer rate of 68% compared to Business and Management with Public Policy at 84%. Also, the grades are AAB and ABB respectively from what I can tell.

At AS I achieved ABBB, although this year I'm hoping to achieve at least AAB, if not my predicted grades of AAA. Would I have a better chance of getting in by choosing Business and Management with Public Policy? I study Geography, Business and Media and I enjoy looking at wider concepts within society, so I feel I would enjoy the Public Policy side of things. However, for my other choices I have just chosen Business Management. Just wondering that on the basis of receiving an offer, would this be a safer/less popular option?

Yes you're right, Business and Management with Public policy does get less applications as a course opposed to our Business and Management course. Mainly because some will prefer the prestige of doing a business course and the fact our joint honours courses such as Business and Management with Public Policy aren't advertised as aggressively.

However with your expectations of achieving AAA-AAB i think you are pretty safe betting on an offer from us, especially if you make us your firm choice. Good luck Sally, we hope to see you in October 2015. =)
Reply 69
Hello, I am currently retaking GCSE maths but I am predicted a D*D*D* in my BTEC, will I still expect to receive an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by m187
Hello, I am currently retaking GCSE maths but I am predicted a D*D*D* in my BTEC, will I still expect to receive an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is dependent entirely on the course, which you have applied for, however as long as you meet the entry criteria you have a good chance of receiving an offer.
How long should I expect to wait until I hear a reply from Aston? I applied a week ago but have not had any acknowledgement or reply to the offer. I applied to the ITMB course.

Thanks
Original post by jayeshsondhi
How long should I expect to wait until I hear a reply from Aston? I applied a week ago but have not had any acknowledgement or reply to the offer. I applied to the ITMB course.

Thanks

Hey I applied for International Business and Management on 08.10 and haven't heard anything from them yet .. so don't worry :smile:
Reply 73
What is the timescale for getting offers after you send off the application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Umar1
What is the timescale for getting offers after you send off the application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No such thing I believe .. it is different for the different courses but Aston are not famous as "fast senders of offers" so .. :smile:
Reply 75
No such thing I believe .. it is different for the different courses but Aston are not famous as "fast senders of offers" so .. :smile:

I see thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Umar1
I see thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes powerpuff_girl is correct each school: ABS, EAS, LHS, LSS and Combined Honours all have their own admissions teams, so speed is variable and there is no strict guideline. Just sit tight and cross your fingers, we hope you will get an offer and be joining us in October 2015.

Just remember to:

Anthro-Hang-In-there.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 77
Does anyone know if Aston interviews for Biomedical degrees?? Thanks
if I make Aston my firm and I meet the requirements in the conditional offer and even exceed them is there any chance they won't change my offer to unconditional ?
Original post by JLG1997
Does anyone know if Aston interviews for Biomedical degrees?? Thanks

I don't believe we do, you just have to meet the entry requirements.

if I make Aston my firm and I meet the requirements in the conditional offer and even exceed them is there any chance they won't change my offer to unconditional ?

There is no chance of that happening as you will be at the top of the pile. The only reason that could happen is if you apply to a very over subscribed course,where everyone applying is AAA. The odds of that are infinitesimal. Additionally the UK government is lifting the cap on student numbers entirely for your year of entry it shouldn't be an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest