The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WArch1992
So did it not matter that I was only above 26% of people in the competences one? Would the fact that I'm dyslexic have affected my score on the verbal test?

If you're dyslexic you can tick the box saying so when you first register. You can then choose to skip the online tests. Presumably you didn't do this as you took the online tests. I don't know whether you can email them now to say that you are dyslexic though. If you do, please let me know what they say as I'm in a similar position...

Oh above 26%. I read that as top 26% for some reason. That could also have been the reason, as someone said above.
(edited 9 years ago)
So did it not matter that I was only above 26% of people in the competences one? Would the fact that I'm dyslexic have affected my score on the verbal test?

The scores required for each test vary according to your stream.. For some the competency is considered to be quite important.

It could be a combination of your verbal and competency score that brought you down or just the competences..

Which stream were you applying for?
Original post by Marini
I have a question for everybody here, especially those who already live in London: How the hell are you going to live with the 28k the Fast Stream pays? As I see it you have to pay at least around 800 pounds (probably more) for a small room, most of them being located in dodgy areas. How are you planning to manage?
I am seriously asking myself if I really want to live in an overcrowded flatshare for at least 3 more years of my life. I am 25 years old and I feel as if it is time to try to rent my own place. I am not a student anymore, and working full-time but still not being able to afford my own place to live somehow sounds wrong to me. And then there are the living costs, transportation, etc. Can you afford anything else, dinner with friends or just going for drinks when you feel like it, or do activities like this involve financial planning? Please correct me, but I feel that the quality of life wouldn´t be very good. Is the FS really worth it? I would love to hear your experience.

The cost of living in London is high and this situation is not going to get any easier as there is pressure to keep down public sector pay. Working in government you tend to find the fast streamers live a similar lifestyle to students, living in houseshares in mixed standard accommodation, and then older people with families etc often live outside London and have long commutes. You meet a lot of civil servants that live in Surrey, Kent, Sussex etc and commute.

At the moment most of the government departments are located in central London but this also may change over time as it is expensive for government to run buildings here and it saves money to sell or not renew leases on buildings in prime locations and look to take office space in cheaper areas, more likely on the outskirts of London. The Cabinet Office has an estate strategy designed to do that. It won't happen quickly because leases expire at different times but I would expect that in the next couple of decades we will see the end of the Whitehall cluster of buildings and a move towards the London suburbs, which will allow people to be based further out in more affordable places.

At the moment I think most fast streamers accept that they have to live a 'studentesque' lifestyle a bit longer but this has some advantages at least for the younger ones without families in that it is almost like university for making friends, if you move to London nervous about not knowing anyone its easy to quickly meet loads of people and the fast stream is quite well set up with socials. You just have to live on a budget but in London this is more the norm now. There are people in their 30s living in houseshares in London. Yes it has its frustrations but when so many others are in the same situation you don't feel like you are alone.

On the new fast stream they will probably base you outside London for at least one of your rotations and the money goes a lot further there. If you get a posting up north in Leeds, Sheffield, York etc then you can rent your own place and live a more comfortable lifestyle. If you get promoted in a job where you can be based up north then you will probably feel well off: Grade 7 jobs tend to pay about £40-45k outside London or £45-50k in London. Anything over £40k outside of London is quite comfortable.
Something I don't understand is that they say you are assessed on six competencies but then list more than six?
Original post by savdahn
Something I don't understand is that they say you are assessed on six competencies but then list more than six?

They group them so:
1. Seeing the bigger picture / Changing and improving
2. Making effective decisions
3. Leading and communicating
4. Collaborating and partnering / building capability for all
5. Managing a quality service/ delivering at pace
6. Delivering value for money / achieving commercial outcomes
Original post by savdahn

Also this marking scheme might be useful...
Original post by jo131278
Well, that was quick, my orientation session is on the 1st December-time to book trains.

I'm HR fast stream too and have been given an assessment centre date for 27th Jan. What's the orientation session? Should I have one of those :/
Original post by Philo 76
Which scheme was this for and when did you find out?

Original post by kat.lev
It could be a combination of your verbal and competency score that brought you down or just the competences..

Which stream were you applying for?

It was for the General Fast Stream and I found out yesterday pretty much the same time as I posted on this thread.

Thanks for the advice, any idea about how the Competences test is marked? Is it just simply the number of best and worst answers or is consistency taken into account as well?

Original post by Tomato_Soup1992
If you're dyslexic you can tick the box saying so when you first register. You can then choose to skip the online tests. Presumably you didn't do this as you took the online tests. I don't know whether you can email them now to say that you are dyslexic though. If you do, please let me know what they say as I'm in a similar position...

Oh above 26%. I read that as top 26% for some reason. That could also have been the reason, as someone said above.

I didn't think that dyslexia would count as a disability for an online test. I shall message them. If you hear before hand could you tell me?
Original post by MagicNMedicine
The cost of living in London is high and this situation is not going to get any easier as there is pressure to keep down public sector pay. Working in government you tend to find the fast streamers live a similar lifestyle to students, living in houseshares in mixed standard accommodation, and then older people with families etc often live outside London and have long commutes. You meet a lot of civil servants that live in Surrey, Kent, Sussex etc and commute.

At the moment most of the government departments are located in central London but this also may change over time as it is expensive for government to run buildings here and it saves money to sell or not renew leases on buildings in prime locations and look to take office space in cheaper areas, more likely on the outskirts of London. The Cabinet Office has an estate strategy designed to do that. It won't happen quickly because leases expire at different times but I would expect that in the next couple of decades we will see the end of the Whitehall cluster of buildings and a move towards the London suburbs, which will allow people to be based further out in more affordable places.

At the moment I think most fast streamers accept that they have to live a 'studentesque' lifestyle a bit longer but this has some advantages at least for the younger ones without families in that it is almost like university for making friends, if you move to London nervous about not knowing anyone its easy to quickly meet loads of people and the fast stream is quite well set up with socials. You just have to live on a budget but in London this is more the norm now. There are people in their 30s living in houseshares in London. Yes it has its frustrations but when so many others are in the same situation you don't feel like you are alone.

On the new fast stream they will probably base you outside London for at least one of your rotations and the money goes a lot further there. If you get a posting up north in Leeds, Sheffield, York etc then you can rent your own place and live a more comfortable lifestyle. If you get promoted in a job where you can be based up north then you will probably feel well off: Grade 7 jobs tend to pay about £40-45k outside London or £45-50k in London. Anything over £40k outside of London is quite comfortable.

Thanks for that insight, it's something that's been on my mind too. I recently heard that I passed the online selection tests and am now at the stage where I need to choose between the Diplomatic Service and Houses of Parliament. Both would be a dream come true for me, but I have been wondering about what kind of life one would have as a member of the Diplomatic Service. Am I right in thinking that, when out of the country, you (and your family) are provided with accommodation, your children's education is provided for and there are other benefits? This is certainly not the most important issue for me, but I can only imagine that earning the standard amount, while living in a potentially cheaper country and not having a range of costs to deal with, makes a massive financial difference.
Bear in mind also, that the HoP scheme has about 6 places. The success rate is a bit less than for the Diplomatic stream, although I guess that shouldn't be what makes or breaks your decision.
Have they not sent out details of what the FSAC involves yet?
Original post by LucyJane
They group them so:
1. Seeing the bigger picture / Changing and improving
2. Making effective decisions
3. Leading and communicating
4. Collaborating and partnering / building capability for all
5. Managing a quality service/ delivering at pace
6. Delivering value for money / achieving commercial outcomes

Thank you for your response 😊
Original post by Magnum Opus
Have they not sent out details of what the FSAC involves yet?

There's a document on the candidate website under Maps and forms and then under guide to FSAC that describes what happens at the FSAC.
It was for the General Fast Stream and I found out yesterday pretty much the same time as I posted on this thread.

Thanks for the advice, any idea about how the Competences test is marked? Is it just simply the number of best and worst answers or is consistency taken into account as well?

I didn't think that dyslexia would count as a disability for an online test. I shall message them. If you hear before hand could you tell me?

Sure.
Original post by GManTheGMan
Bear in mind also, that the HoP scheme has about 6 places. The success rate is a bit less than for the Diplomatic stream, although I guess that shouldn't be what makes or breaks your decision.

How do you know this number? I think 6 it's a bit too little...

Also, I was wondering something. I've put HoP as first preference, and CDs as second. I've been said by a friend who got into the FS last year that as long as you pass the FSAC it's sure you get in, even if you don't get your first choice, cause CDs look for a lot of people and you end up there. Any insight on that?
Still waiting for online tests and competency results.

Oh definitely, it affects most sufferers abilities to read so it would impact on your ability to do the verbal test. I was allowed to skip the tests and I'm dyspraxic. You still have to do the competency one though.
Original post by krumours
How do you know this number? I think 6 it's a bit too little...

Also, I was wondering something. I've put HoP as first preference, and CDs as second. I've been said by a friend who got into the FS last year that as long as you pass the FSAC it's sure you get in, even if you don't get your first choice, cause CDs look for a lot of people and you end up there. Any insight on that?

Fairly detailed recruitment stats are published here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-fast-stream-report

Last year HoP had 6 vacancies. The year before that it was 5, before that 6, and before that 3. I would be very much surprised if the number of places was any higher this year.

And yes, your friend is right - if you have CD as one of your options and you score high enough to pass for that then you will have the option of a place, even if you don't score high enough for HoP or aren't successful at the Final Selection Board.
Did my etray about 3 hours ago and heard nothing yet. Does this mean I am amber banded or is there still hope I have passed outright?
Original post by fleabag23
Did my etray about 3 hours ago and heard nothing yet. Does this mean I am amber banded or is there still hope I have passed outright?

I finished mine at 17:45 yesterday and heard nothing before I went to bed at ~1am. When I woke up at 10am I saw I had been successful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending