The Student Room Group

Russell Brand yay or nay?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Yo9u need to identify the problem before you can find a solution.

Typically people identify a problem and then work on/present a solution.

He's been ranting this rubbish for years. More than enough time to have begun thinking about some solutions, and yet he hasn't because he knows he would be unable to come up with a better option.
Original post by samthemiller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYsvjbFCUJU&list=UUn8zNIfYAQNdrFRrr8oibKw

Nice guy? Good ideas? What do you guys think of him?

he makes Mr Fry look intellectual
He may not have the most convincing political beliefs, but what I like about him is that he speaks up for the disenchanted and doesn't spout the same manufactured, politically correct, dodge the question **** that you see from almost every politician these days.
Original post by Reue

He's been ranting this rubbish for years. More than enough time to have begun thinking about some solutions, and yet he hasn't because he knows he would be unable to come up with a better option.

Well he does make his communist esque ramblings. I haven't read his book or anything so can't comment. But the biggest problem is getting people to wake out of their stupa. Plus a lot of his youtube videos on how the media is bias and authoritarian is actually pretty spot on. If he makes more people think about that then that is positive.

I'm not of the opinion you need some master plan to make positive changes. Human societies are too large and organic to be able to predict properly. You just need some kind of guiding principles and a willingness to make evidence based policy. So the principle of making policy that's priory is to protect the interests of those who actually run the country over everything else could be replaced with you know, something not so ****y, collect avoided/evaded tax instead of privatizing and cutting the NHS. Not letting buinsesses cosey up with the government to get them to force unemployed to work for them for nothing. I could go on.

BY the sounds of it you think anything different from what we have now would be soviet? What we have now is not how has always been anyway. There are always options available. I'm not talking communism, I'm talking all the changes you could make in a capitalist based system.

It does annoy me how Brand tells people not to vote though. It is just counterproductive and stupid.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
By the sounds of it you think anything different from what we have now would be soviet? What we have now is not how has always been anyway. There are always options available. I'm not talking communism, I'm talking all the changes you could make in a capitalist based system.

Tbh; I dont particularly think much needs changing at all anyway.

Russel Brand isnt identifying anything which could be changed with minor capitalist adjustments.
Seeing as this isn't really an everyday issue the OP is after advice on I think this would be better suited in chat.
Original post by Reue
Tbh; I dont particularly think much needs changing at all anyway.

It was more that it could be changed. What we have now isn't some kind of fundamental law of nature. It doesn't matter whether you think it needs changing or not. The fact is it could be changed and it does change. I'm sure lot of people said feudalism doesn't need changing. Also you can make major changes to a capitalist based system. Reforms can be/have been pretty radical and revolutionary.

Original post by Reue

Nothing wrong with someone finding the problem then others working up a solution. Plus you already said that.

Should a journalist not report the horrors in a child sweatshop juts because he/she can not think up a solution? Of course not. Some people dedicate their lives to finding problems. Which is fine. There is no rule you can only identify a problem if you have a solution at hand.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Buxtonwater
I think he's brilliant and hilarious, saying that I don't agree with his political beliefs in the slightest.

I think the exact opposite.
I like the fact that he isn't afraid of standing up for what he believes in.

However, that does not necessarily mean I agree with everything he has to say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chillaxer
I think the exact opposite.

you're an anarchist?
Original post by JamesManc
He looks like he stinks. And not in the good way.

Theres a good way? 0.0

Op, hes a very intelligent man but I dont like his promiscuous ways. But hey, what he does is none of my business
Reply 51
Defiantly not.
If you agree with any of the bull**** that comes out of his mouth, get your head checked. For a comedian, he's about as funny as a puddle of puke.
I used to hate him but now I think he's pretty funny and clever actually
Nay
He absorbed the views of greater men than he, and spews them as his own half-assed musings.

He should stick to terrible comedy, at least that way when people laugh at him he knows he is getting somewhere.
gay homeless badger nay...he's a bit of a pedantic toss pot.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest