The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Crazy day, just got rejected from South-West a few hours after getting an interview from Y&H.
Reply 121
Original post by Isometrix
Crazy day, just got rejected from South-West a few hours after getting an interview from Y&H.

Sorry to hear about your rejection and well done on the interview offer!
That sounds like a very mixed day.
Original post by Irishmed12
Has anyone heard from Mersey or Northern Deaneries yet???
Nervous Irish student here!

Nope, my boyfriend has applied for Mersey but not heard anything yet! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 123
Original post by Huy14
Well done on the interviews guys, would it be possible at all for you to share your profiles?

What does everyone think, shall we post profiles?
Original post by morphdoc
Anyone heard from Cambridge (please, say no!!) :frown:

Still nothing.
Original post by Feynman'sBongo
Still nothing.

Thanks. Makes me feel better (unless we both got rejected!!!). I did not think waiting is going to be so painful :/
Original post by KF99
Sorry to hear about your rejection and well done on the interview offer!
That sounds like a very mixed day.

Probably slightly more disappointed about the rejection because it was my first choice.

However my problem is I would probably prefer my first choice FP (Oxford) over my 2nd choice AFP (Y&H), but would probably go with my 2nd choice AFP over my 2nd choice FP which is also Y&H. ARGH :argh:
Reply 127
Original post by Isometrix
Just got an interview from Yorkshire & Humber. Anyone else heard?

Yes! Well done :biggrin: Me too :smile:
Original post by jammin
Congrats to all those with interviews!!!

Anyone heard back from North Western at all?
It says on their AFP website that shortlisting will be on 6th November... does that mean they start shortlisting on this date? Or we should hear back from them on the 6th?

I was wondering the same thing, although just underneath that on the same page they say:
"Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview from the end of November (date to be confirmed)".
Not sure if that means they won't send invites until the end of this month but that may just be what's gonna happen. After all the interviews are on the 8th of January so they don't need to be in a rush.
(edited 9 years ago)
Congrats to all of you with interviews!
Experienced angina on my ward round this morning when I got an e-mail titled 'Cambridge AFP Update'(!)

Next week is going to be crazy!
The more I think about it, the less excited I become about an AFP. I'm really just enjoying doing medicine as it is this year. I spoke to 2 other guys in my year yesterday who feel the same. Anyone else in the same boat?

Ether way, I only applied to one uber competitive AUoA (Thames) and only ranked 13 of the 127 jobs available so its highly unlikely I'll get an interview/offer anyway.

Got to get cracking with this SJT malarkey then....less than a month to go!
Original post by i'm no superman
Experienced angina on my ward round this morning when I got an e-mail titled 'Cambridge AFP Update'(!)

Next week is going to be crazy!

I just had the same experience!
Original post by Medicine Man
The more I think about it, the less excited I become about an AFP. I'm really just enjoying doing medicine as it is this year. I spoke to 2 other guys in my year yesterday who feel the same. Anyone else in the same boat?

Ether way, I only applied to one uber competitive AUoA (Thames) and only ranked 13 of the 127 jobs available so its highly unlikely I'll get an interview/offer anyway.

Got to get cracking with this SJT malarkey then....less than a month to go!

AFP definitely isn't the be all and end all. I'd be incredibly happy with an FP track with my chosen specialty in it. Which obviously isn't easy to get either! as you say, time to get on with the SJT!

Also, didn't realise you didn't have to rank every AFP track - I spent ages ranking tracks that I didn't want! There are only 6 tracks across the 2 AFP deaneries that I actually want..
Congrats to all those with interviews.

For some of us who are applying next year and taking a "watchful waiting" approach to this thread, it would be great if people could post their academics/teaching/ECs here to give us a general idea of where the bar is "set" (though I understand with all the white space questions etc. there's no hard and fast rule per se)
My academic profile:

Thanks for posting this! Very impressive profile! Are your publications in particularly high impact journals?
Original post by Hydromancer
Thanks for posting this! Very impressive profile! Are your publications in particularly high impact journals?
No worries at all. Nope, it wasn't a particularly high impact journal at all. My biggest regret is not getting involved in surgical projects as a lot of supervisors are academic registrars / fellows who are so on it and know what to do.
No worries at all. Nope, it wasn't a particularly high impact journal at all. My biggest regret is not getting involved in surgical projects as a lot of supervisors are academic registrars / fellows who are so on it and know what to do.

Hmm...I've been involved in things that (I've realised) don't really have much to do with what I want to do in the future and while I have got some form of output from these projects, I'm just not too sure about their value when I consider my future career.
(edited 9 years ago)
divinelord, isometrix, tech and abc44, I got a yorkshire interview too.
Original post by abc44
Congrats, whens your interview and what have you applied for and tech?

26th nov and I put research programmes first. How about the rest of you?

Latest

Trending

Trending