The Student Room Group

TSR Piano Society

Scroll to see replies

I really want to learn how to play the piano, here are some of my favourite pieces :smile:

Original post by Multitalented me

Eew. Yiruma. I learnt Kiss the Rain and River Flows in you when I was much younger. It used to be the rage on youtube back then.

Same with Fur Elise. This was pre lessons.

I'm finally back to learning/practicing mostly daily. I'm currently working on Prelude and Fugue-C minor and Chopin's Waltz in B minor. Taking a break from Pathetique mvt 3 but will hopefully finish that soonish.

Booked a new piano lesson for next Sunday. Not had one in months :redface: but finally have a job :biggrin:. In a few months, I'll have been learning for 4 years already :redface:.
Original post by keromedic
Eew. Yiruma. I learnt Kiss the Rain and River Flows in you when I was much younger. It used to be the rage on youtube back then.

You don't like them?
You don't like them?

I was only teasing. I no longer like minimalist music particularly but it's not bad.
You don't like them?

I don't personally like them. River flows in you has because so commercial amongst teenagers with keyboards I've heard it so many times I'm sick of it. I don't mean that in an aggressive way haha, when played well on a piano it can be nice but I just don't personally like much modern music... classic is the way forward :wink:

I'm finally back to learning/practicing mostly daily. I'm currently working on Prelude and Fugue-C minor and Chopin's Waltz in B minor. Taking a break from Pathetique mvt 3 but will hopefully finish that soonish.

Booked a new piano lesson for next Sunday. Not had one in months :redface: but finally have a job :biggrin:. In a few months, I'll have been learning for 4 years already :redface:.

:eek: I learned those same three pieces at the same time as well :cool: ... all great pieces...though never finished the Prelude and Fugue completely, only the prelude :rolleyes:
Original post by Frannoooooooo
:eek: I learned those same three pieces at the same time as well :cool: ... all great pieces...though never finished the Prelude and Fugue completely, only the prelude :rolleyes:

Which 3?
Which Prelude?
I need to learn the one below. For my Grade 8. I've not started yet though. Got my first lesson in awhile on Sunday and wonder what the new teacher thinks of my programme...

[video="youtube;JcFHuUJE0mU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcFHuUJE0mU[/video]
Which 3?
Which Prelude?
I need to learn the one below. For my Grade 8. I've not started yet though. Got my first lesson in awhile on Sunday and wonder what the new teacher thinks of my programme...

[video="youtube;JcFHuUJE0mU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcFHuUJE0mU[/video]

The Prelude and fugue, Chopin's Waltz, and the final movement of Beethoven's Pathetique sonata. I was saying I've learned the first part of that piece (The prelude bit)

And that programme is good I'd say. Each are quintessential examples of Baroque/Classical/Romantic. They're also some of my favourite pieces:smile:
The Prelude and fugue, Chopin's Waltz, and the final movement of Beethoven's Pathetique sonata. I was saying I've learned the first part of that piece (The prelude bit)

And that programme is good I'd say. Each are quintessential examples of Baroque/Classical/Romantic. They're also some of my favourite pieces:smile:

Oh right okay :smile:. I understood you'd learnt a prelude but wasn't sure which one as there are quite a few in many keys :smile:.

Yup though the last movement of the pathetique isn't part of my programme (though it has been a previous Grade 8 piece). I merely chose it as it sounds good :tongue:.

Are you a diploma pianist?
Oh right okay :smile:. I understood you'd learnt a prelude but wasn't sure which one as there are quite a few in many keys :smile:.

Yup though the last movement of the pathetique isn't part of my programme (though it has been a previous Grade 8 piece). I merely chose it as it sounds good :tongue:.

Are you a diploma pianist?

I actually don't have any qualifications so I don't really have any authority to talk about piano :redface: though I've played to people in the past including people who play themselves and they've said I'm at least grade 8 standard.. but maybe they were just being nice :h:

The pieces I'm working on now are diploma standard I think.. but whether or not I'd pass a diploma exam with my playing is another thing:colondollar:

What pieces are you doing for your grade 8?
I actually don't have any qualifications so I don't really have any authority to talk about piano :redface: though I've played to people in the past including people who play themselves and they've said I'm at least grade 8 standard.. but maybe they were just being nice :h:

The pieces I'm working on now are diploma standard I think.. but whether or not I'd pass a diploma exam with my playing is another thing:colondollar:

What pieces are you doing for your grade 8?

http://gb.abrsm.org/fileadmin/user_upload/syllabuses/piano0815.pdf
The list is above. A2 and C3. I'll decide the B piece with the teacher. I've had a bad year (no practice) and the last time I can do an exam with this syllabus is spring 2017 so I'm in no rush :smile:. I'll probably try and get my Grade 8 done on or before Summer of 2016 as I'm hoping to start uni autumn that year. That will give me time to get back into a routine and brush up on sight reading, aural and scales :smile:. And build up my reptetoire.

Though I like exams, I feel it's more about working upon your general musicianship. It's slightly depressing that there are so many 15 year olds who're diploma standard but everyone has their own pace?

Are you self taught? I began receiving lessons regularly in 2011 but had done stuff alone and through yt before that.
http://gb.abrsm.org/fileadmin/user_upload/syllabuses/piano0815.pdf
The list is above. A2 and C3. I'll decide the B piece with the teacher. I've had a bad year (no practice) and the last time I can do an exam with this syllabus is spring 2017 so I'm in no rush :smile:. I'll probably try and get my Grade 8 done on or before Summer of 2016 as I'm hoping to start uni autumn that year. That will give me time to get back into a routine and brush up on sight reading, aural and scales :smile:. And build up my reptetoire.

Though I like exams, I feel it's more about working upon your general musicianship. It's slightly depressing that there are so many 15 year olds who're diploma standard but everyone has their own pace?

Are you self taught? I began receiving lessons regularly in 2011 but had done stuff alone and through yt before that.

Those are good choices. I remember looking at the syllabus when it came out and I think I said I'd have chose the same along with B5. John Field was the creator of the Nocturne and if you like Chopin's nocturnes then I think you'll like B5.

And that's true. I actually know a lot of students who are drilled into passing exams so much that their musicianship and creativity is really poor. I play because I love to play not to have some pieces of paper to prove my standard. To me, gaining a diploma doesn't mean much :tongue:

Yes I'm self taught, never had a lesson:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Those are good choices. I remember looking at the syllabus when it came out and I think I said I'd have chose the same along with B5. John Field was the creator of the Nocturne and if you like Chopin's nocturnes then I think you'll like B5.

And that's true. I actually know a lot of students who are drilled into passing exams so much that their musicianship and creativity is really poor. I play because I love to play not to have some pieces of paper to prove my standard. To me, gaining a diploma doesn't mean much :tongue:

Yes I'm self taught, never had a lesson:smile:

Yea.

OMG. That's so amazing. I could never do that :redface:. Do you have any examples of your playing?

Yea.

OMG. That's so amazing. I could never do that :redface:. Do you have any examples of your playing?

I think I have a video of me playing the Capriccio from Bach Partita no.2. I'll have to dig it out though, recorded that a while bach (Pardon the pun)

When I finish the set of pieces I'm working on now I might record them and upload them to this thread?

What about you?
I think I have a video of me playing the Capriccio from Bach Partita no.2. I'll have to dig it out though, recorded that a while bach (Pardon the pun)

When I finish the set of pieces I'm working on now I might record them and upload them to this thread?

What about you?

That's good :smile:. Funny :nothing:.

That'd be a good idea :smile:.
That's good :smile:. Funny :nothing:.

That'd be a good idea :smile:.

Yeaah:smile:

Anyway good luck with your Grade 8!
Yeaah:smile:

Anyway good luck with your Grade 8!

Thanks. It will be some time. I'm really excited for Sunday.

Hopefully you'll record and upload something soon.
Is anyone taking the ABRSM 2013-2014 Piano Grade 7 exam this month/next month?

I'm preparing to do mine on 9th December. Haven't learn all of my scales yet - but most of them are under the belt already. :redface:
I'm getting better at the piano, but does anybody rock their head back and forth when they're playing a song?

I do it sometimes when I'm nervous as it helps to get over nerves when I'm performing? Noticed my piano teacher doing it and very good pianists doing that so I'm not the only person I guess.
Original post by jam277
I'm getting better at the piano, but does anybody rock their head back and forth when they're playing a song?

With the beat or just randomly?

Quick Reply

Latest