The Student Room Group

Do you consider somali people black?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by King.mulamula
:hand:Black is the opposite of white.

Secondly Somali People in general are quite-dark skinned and could be mistaken for black.

They have different juxtaposition's in term of colour some are cafe-au-lait and some are dark brown/black.

Stop being delusional:rolleyes:.

What is your definition of dark skinned? In about the last girls skin tone (from the pics i posted) and i dont see myself as dark (more of a caramel skin tone) and so are the majority of my family. There are ofcourse dark skinned somalis (like kanye west's skin colour) but they arent the majority
Original post by Secretnerd123
You said most so who wouldnt u call black?

sorry thought i was clear - the 2 wearing headscarves i wouldn't be sure about. tbh it's all a grey area anyway. i'm more likely to refer to them as somali than black/brown/whatever if i know where they're from.
What is your definition of dark skinned? In about the last girls skin tone (from the pics i posted) and i dont see myself as dark (more of a caramel skin tone) and so are the majority of my family. There are ofcourse dark skinned somalis (like kanye west's skin colour) but they arent the majority

you may say the majority of Somali are light-brown
But I live London and the majority of my Somali friends would be considered Dark-skinned it depends what your definition of light-brown is
What one individual may say is dark skinned another may say light skinned.

But for example K'naan a Somali artist is someone I would genuinely consider to be dark-skinned.

But generally we all have our own perspective on what is generally dark and what is considered light.:smile:
Even if theyre not dark skinned they act black or have other features.. (i know im stereotyping soz, but e.g big lips and forehead etc which is highly common within black people) so yeah i would consider them black
I think some people don't consider them to be different , because they look different to other africans. In terms of facial features.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Yes I do. Most of the somalis I've come across are very dark skinned and they're generally like that aren't they?

Yo wassup Brigette?:biggrin:
Original post by King.mulamula
Yo wassup Brigette?:biggrin:

Oh, hi Jamilah! How you doin' breh? :hat2:
Oh, hi Jamilah! How you doin' breh? :hat2:

Jamilah:laugh:?

Where did you get that from? was it from the Thread that person created without my consent.
Yes?:confused: youre black if you're dark skinned and of African descent so yeah
Original post by Yasmin-9970
Yes?:confused: youre black if you're dark skinned and of African descent so yeah

Whats with people saying they only consider dark skin people black?

So beyonce isnt black because shes light skinned?
shes black because she is african american and has other genetic features usually associated with black people like afro hair idk and shes not white shes just #teamlightskin
Most of the ones i know have the same skin colour as the pics i posted. And anyway based on your theory, as srilankans black too since they have dark skin

Well yes, I do consider Sri Lankans black, although I'm pretty sure that the term "black" is generally used to describe people of african descent.

I think most people take Black people to mean people with African descent and dark skin. So Somalians are Black if you go with this definition.

I personally think the word Black shouldn't even be used to describe people of African descent it should be African.
Most of the ones i know have the same skin colour as the pics i posted. And anyway based on your theory, as srilankans black too since they have dark skin

In my NW london secondary school we called Africans black and Sir Lankans blick. Looking back that was prob a bit racist but we were a class that ad some sort of nickname for everybody, and I wouldn't dream of saything tht to someone now. I do consider them black, though i guess they're more brown, but again from school were used brown for asian people.
Also, are mixed race people brown?
Due to the genetic material available, No. In society, Yes.

It's quite worrying that the OP seems to think "black" is a race, it's actually a colour.
Black/white is not a race but a social construct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well yes, I do consider Sri Lankans black, although I'm pretty sure that the term "black" is generally used to describe people of african descent.

lol. Apparently moroccans are black now, due to your logic because they are African.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by missfats

It's quite worrying that the OP seems to think "black" is a race, it's actually a colour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol youre starting to sound like abdulkarim now
Lol youre starting to sound like abdulkarim now

It's part of growing up, my dear child.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol. Apparently moroccans are black now, due to your logic because they are African.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He said african DESCENT. I believe moroccans are descended from Berbers/Arabs
Original post by teenhorrorstory
He said african DESCENT. I believe moroccans are descended from Berbers/Arabs

Same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39

Posted from TSR Mobile

Black is a race though...

Quick Reply

Latest