The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Has anybody had confirmation from UKCAT that their score has been sent to their unis yet? They've posted on their twitter page that they've all gone across but I've had no email or anything telling me so? :confused:
Original post by cwi111
Has anybody had confirmation from UKCAT that their score has been sent to their unis yet? They've posted on their twitter page that they've all gone across but I've had no email or anything telling me so? :confused:

I never received an email last year confirming this and all my unis received it!
Reply 302
Original post by Dr. Django
I never received an email last year confirming this and all my unis received it!

Hmm, we'll wait and see :s-smilie:
Original post by cwi111
Hmm, we'll wait and see :s-smilie:

Django's right, they didn't acknowledge this with an email last year...
Reply 304
Original post by Dr Gin
Django's right, they didn't acknowledge this with an email last year...

I dunno, but they've been saying all along this year that they'd contact applicants once they'd sent the scores across, so it seems a little weird not to have heard anything directly. Hardly surprising though tbh 😕
Reply 305
Now that the UKCAT averages are in, what are the chances of the cut-off score being 660?
Original post by abu125
Now that the UKCAT averages are in, what are the chances of the cut-off score being 660?

According to last year's thread the cut off then was 697.5; this equates approximately to 652.25 this year from the 2013/2014 comparison stats released by UKCAT at the end of testing. Obviously it will depend upon this year's applicants' scores and could go up or down but I suppose it gives us an idea...
Reply 307
Original post by Dr Gin
According to last year's thread the cut off then was 697.5; this equates approximately to 652.25 this year from the 2013/2014 comparison stats released by UKCAT at the end of testing. Obviously it will depend upon this year's applicants' scores and could go up or down but I suppose it gives us an idea...

Statistically, that's right, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it's higher than that as the quality of applicant scores seems to be almost as high this year (just a hunch!) I'd guess around 670, but there's no way of telling 😖
Reply 308
Original post by cwi111
Statistically, that's right, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it's higher than that as the quality of applicant scores seems to be almost as high this year (just a hunch!) I'd guess around 670, but there's no way of telling

i honestly believe 670 is pushing it really, given that 2505(total score) was this years average.
Reply 309
Original post by Dr Gin

What did you do to calculate 652.25?
Original post by abu125
What did you do to calculate 652.25?

I just plotted a graph with the two sets of data provided by UKCAT for 2013 and 2014 then read-off the matching centile level.
Original post by abu125
i honestly believe 670 is pushing it really, given that 2505(total score) was this years average.

You haven't taken into the account the people who got low UKCAT scores that decided just not to apply to UKCAT med schools and so will have superficially deflated the average :/
Original post by cwi111
Statistically, that's right, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it's higher than that as the quality of applicant scores seems to be almost as high this year (just a hunch!) I'd guess around 670, but there's no way of telling ������

I agree with you; I'm worried that, if anything, the lower UKCAT scores this year have made moderately high scorers feel psychologically like they haven't achieved as well as they actually have and so only the really high scorers will have applied :frown:.
The change in the way they present data this year means that anyone doing direct comparisons with last year's numbers will have been terrified - they have shifted everyone by an entire decile in effect which has compounded the low appearance of scores even more. (see UKCAT deciles for 2013 and then the 2013/2014 comparison stats - both available on the UKCAT website if you want to see what I'm on about)
Reply 313
Original post by Dr Gin
I agree with you; I'm worried that, if anything, the lower UKCAT scores this year have made moderately high scorers feel psychologically like they haven't achieved as well as they actually have and so only the really high scorers will have applied :frown:.
The change in the way they present data this year means that anyone doing direct comparisons with last year's numbers will have been terrified - they have shifted everyone by an entire decile in effect which has compounded the low appearance of scores even more. (see UKCAT deciles for 2013 and then the 2013/2014 comparison stats - both available on the UKCAT website if you want to see what I'm on about)

Agreed, but I swear applicant numbers are down and shouldn't they interview a set number of applicants every year.
Reply 314
Original post by Big Thinker
You haven't taken into the account the people who got low UKCAT scores that decided just not to apply to UKCAT med schools and so will have superficially deflated the average :/

Quite true.
Reply 315
Original post by Dr Gin

I've been wrestling with these same thoughts. I guess if we had the data from previous years, we'd be able to get a sense of how, historically, the national average compares to the cut offs - whether or not low-scoring/high-scoring years affects behaviour of applicants enough to change uni cut-offs. Hard to get all that data though I'd imagine...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MollyMcFly1
The cut off last year was 2790 - I emailed them and found out :smile:

I've applied to Bristol, Keele, Exeter and Sheffield with a score of 2600, I've been repeatedly told that i had a good chance at Exeter however this thread seems to suggest differently.
Original post by Mutleybm1996
I've applied to Bristol, Keele, Exeter and Sheffield with a score of 2600, I've been repeatedly told that i had a good chance at Exeter however this thread seems to suggest differently.

Well exeter had a cut off last year of 2780, so your score is risky, but it is possible that the cut off this year will be under your score.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by the A* guy
Well exeter had a cut off last year of 2780, so your score is risky, but it is possible that the cut off this year will be under your score.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How possible??

sorry, I'm a little new to the guessing regime that comes after the UKCAT results.
Original post by Mutleybm1996

If the same distribution of candidates apply this year as last year and everything else where the same then the UKCAT cut-off would equate to 2609 this year.
Of course in reality everything isn't the same and they have the right to alter the way they differentiate candidates anyway so we don't actually have a clue…

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending