The Student Room Group

C3 Trig Proof Help!!!

Hi, I'm struggling with 2 questions asking to prove trig identities.

1) Prove sec2x (x) cosec2x= 2 + cot2x + tan2x

I've started on the right hand side and wrote 2sin2x + 2cos2x + (cos2x)(/sin2x) + (sin2x)/(cos2x), and then split up these fractions to get 3/sin^2x + 3/cos^x = 3cosec^2x + 3sec^2x = cosec^2x +sec^2x (however, the proof says x not +), what have I done wrong? How does the times sign appear? Could someone please help

2) Prove sec4x - tan4x = 2sec2x - 1

As for this question, I have no idea where to start since I get nowhere near the correct proof, could someone give me a hand?

Thank you!!! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CleverGirl383
Hi, I'm struggling with 2 questions asking to prove trig identities.

1) Prove sec2x x cosec2x= 2 + cot2x + tan2

I've started on the right hand side and wrote 2sin2x + 2cos2x + (cos2x)(/sin2x) + (sin2x)/(cos2x), and then split up these fractions to get 3/sin^2x + 3/cos^x = 3cosec^2x + 3sec^2x = cosec^2x +sec^2x (however, the proof says x not +), what have I done wrong? How does the times sign appear? Could someone please help

2) Prove sec4x - tan4x = 2sec2x - 1

As for this question, I have no idea where to start since I get nowhere near the correct proof, could someone give me a hand?

Thank you!!! :smile:

1st
try starting from LHS

2nd
Can you see the difference of squares in the LHS?
Original post by TeeEm
1st
try starting from LHS

2nd
Can you see the difference of squares in the LHS?

Mm im also stuck with the first one. Ive done the second one. How should I start the first one? I tried (1+tan^2x)(1+cot^2x) but don't seem to be getting anywhere. Any hints on where to start?

Edit: never mind I didn't see the 2 at the beginning oops :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Super199
Mm im also stuck with the first one. Ive done the second one. How should I start the first one? I tried (1+tan^2x)(1+cot^2x) but don't seem to be getting anywhere. Any hints on where to start?

multiply out and note cotx = 1/tanx
For Q1, I've tried using LHS and got up to 1/cos2x x 1/sin2x = 1/cos2xsin2x = sin2x + cos2x /cos2xsin2x, but I'm getting tan2x + cot2x, and not the +2... what have I done?

As for Q2, (sec2x + tan2x)(sec2x - tan2x) is the difference of squares here, but how does that help me?
Reply 5
For Q1, I've tried using LHS and got up to 1/cos2x x 1/sin2x = 1/cos2xsin2x = sin2x + cos2x /cos2xsin2x, but I'm getting tan2x + cot2x, and not the +2... what have I done?

As for Q2, (sec2x + tan2x)(sec2x - tan2x) is the difference of squares here, but how does that help me?

look carefully at the second bracket
Original post by TeeEm
look carefully at the second bracket

I've wrote the second bracket as 1/cos^2x - sin^2x / cos^2x = 1-sin^2x / cos^2x = 1/cos^2x - sin^2x / cos^2x, getting an answer of sec^2x - 1. But I'm still somehow missing a 2 at the front of the sec term?
Reply 7
I've wrote the second bracket as 1/cos^2x - sin^2x / cos^2x = 1-sin^2x / cos^2x = 1/cos^2x - sin^2x / cos^2x, getting an answer of sec^2x - 1. But I'm still somehow missing a 2 at the front of the sec term?

isnt the second bracket just 1?:smile:
Original post by TeeEm
isnt the second bracket just 1?:smile:

Yeah it is 1... So that leaves just (sec2x + tan2x)? do I have to set this to equal to 0? I tried to write it as 1/cos^2x + sin^2x / cos^2x and got 1+sin^2x / cos^2x, final answer was sec^2x + 1 (not the correct proof!), these are so confusing..
Reply 9
Yeah it is 1... So that leaves just (sec2x + tan2x)? do I have to set this to equal to 0? I tried to write it as 1/cos^2x + sin^2x / cos^2x and got 1+sin^2x / cos^2x, final answer was sec^2x + 1 (not the correct proof!), these are so confusing..

You do not set to 0 !!!!!

Use the obvious identity. You are line away from your answer!
Original post by TeeEm
You do not set to 0 !!!!!

Use the obvious identity. You are line away from your answer!

If I use an identity I can write 1 as sec2x - tan2x, so I end up with 2sec2x -tan2x (don't know where the -1 comes from?!)
Reply 11
If I use an identity I can write 1 as sec2x - tan2x, so I end up with 2sec2x -tan2x (don't know where the -1 comes from?!)

sec2x+tan2x = sec2x +(sec2x - 1)
Original post by TeeEm
sec2x+tan2x = sec2x +(sec2x - 1)

Is that an identity you're supposed to know? Never seen that before.
Reply 13
Is that an identity you're supposed to know? Never seen that before.

1+tan2x=sec2x

I believe the above identity is common knowledge but I could be wrong
Original post by TeeEm
1+tan2x=sec2x

I believe the above identity is common knowledge but I could be wrong

Ahh so that's how you derived it! Thanks very much, got the answer now for Q2! What about Question 1?
Reply 15
Ahh so that's how you derived it! Thanks very much, got the answer now for Q2! What about Question 1?

look at posts 2 and 4
Original post by TeeEm
look at posts 2 and 4

This is my method for Q1: Start LHS: 1/cos2x (x) 1/sin2x = sec2x + cosec2x --> (tan2x + 1) + (1 + cot2x) = 2 + cot2x + tan2x.

Is this correct?
Reply 17
This is my method for Q1: Start LHS: 1/cos2x (x) 1/sin2x = sec2x + cosec2x --> (tan2x + 1) + (1 + cot2x) = 2 + cot2x + tan2x.

Is this correct?

this is not correct

after the red you show that multiplication is addition
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
this is not correct

after the red you show that multiplication is addition

Yes but whether you add or multiply, you get the exact same value, I did this using my calculator by substituting a number for x. Did you have another method?
Reply 19
Yes but whether you add or multiply, you get the exact same value, I did this using my calculator by substituting a number for x. Did you have another method?

sin0 + sin90 =sin(0+90) works

but sinA + sinB does not equal to the sin(A+B)

look at post 4

read what the other chap mentioned, then read my response.

Quick Reply

Latest