The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G484 - The Newtonian World - 11th June 2015

People have asked for a thread so here we go! We can discuss exam questions or general content if you need help.

I won't be revising for a while but if I can help, I'll try, means less revision for me in the summer if I help people earlier on (or if people explain to me!)

I think we've pretty much finished G484 except SHM maybe? I'll update this post with revision stuff.

G485 Thread
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How are you guys all finding this module.
I feel having done M2 last year it's fairly straightforward :smile: not looked at exam papers/questions yet though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
You lucky lucky people doing OCR A. I wouldn't wish OCR B on my worst enemy :frown:
Original post by TVIO
You lucky lucky people doing OCR A. I wouldn't wish OCR B on my worst enemy :frown:

Ditto. Although I have to say, the A2 is slightly less terrible than the AS. Slightly.
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
Ditto. Although I have to say, the A2 is slightly less terrible than the AS. Slightly.

True, but 90% of infinite difficulty is still infinity...
Original post by TVIO
True, but 90% of infinite difficulty is still infinity...

It's not though! The content of OCR B is way easier than any other specification I've ever seen. We learn only a fraction of what people seem to learn in other specifications. It's just that the exam papers are bloody weird...
Original post by rachelc142
How are you guys all finding this module.
I feel having done M2 last year it's fairly straightforward :smile: not looked at exam papers/questions yet though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

So far it isn't too bad at all.

I think SHM will be hardest topic
Reply 7
It's not though! The content of OCR B is way easier than any other specification I've ever seen. We learn only a fraction of what people seem to learn in other specifications. It's just that the exam papers are bloody weird...

We managed to save all future students at our school from doing it, they've changed spec. We're the last year to suffer it :-( I know what you mean about the weirdness, how did you find g491 last year?
Original post by TVIO
We managed to save all future students at our school from doing it, they've changed spec. We're the last year to suffer it :-( I know what you mean about the weirdness, how did you find g491 last year?

Same thing happened in our school! The new year 12s are doing AQA, the lucky bastards... Was G491 Unit 1? If so, I found it okay but I realised when I was doing it that the grade boundaries would be very, very low (which they were) because the last few questions really required some thinking that went quite a bit beyond the specification.
Reply 9
Same thing happened in our school! The new year 12s are doing AQA, the lucky bastards... Was G491 Unit 1? If so, I found it okay but I realised when I was doing it that the grade boundaries would be very, very low (which they were) because the last few questions really required some thinking that went quite a bit beyond the specification.

Worst paper I've ever sat. The boundaries weren't that low? Roughly matched the year before's which was a super easy paped. I've no idea how I scraped that A, it was just horrendous.
Original post by TVIO
Worst paper I've ever sat. The boundaries weren't that low? Roughly matched the year before's which was a super easy paped. I've no idea how I scraped that A, it was just horrendous.

They were really low! 63% for an A!
Without meaning to sound like a dick, can you take it elsewhere? :tongue:

Don't want no Spec A is too easy here :colone:

Last year G482 (EWP) was 59% for an A. That was a hideous exam :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

Hmm I guess I misremembered last year's boundaries, they were about 76% not 66%. Fair enough. Still, rather unfair to test stuff that really was beyond the scope of the spec
Original post by TVIO
Hmm I guess I misremembered last year's boundaries, they were about 76% not 66%. Fair enough. Still, rather unfair to test stuff that really was beyond the scope of the spec

Well not really, it didn't require any knowledge from outside the spec, it just required some lateral thinking. Which I don't have a problem with. My problem lies with the stupid questions like the one about the oscilloscope in the Unit 2 exam. And the fact that I feel our knowledge of Physics is crap compared to other specs.
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Lol xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by L'Evil Fish

The truth alway hurts :tongue:
Original post by TVIO
The truth alway hurts :tongue:

Haters gonna hate
I really don't think OCR A is easier than OCR B, their specification just makes more sense...
Can't tell how G484 will go, the lack of content in this exam makes me wonder what kind of strange questions they'll ask :rolleyes:

Latest