The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drbluebox
Rory was a everyman thats what made him great,he wasnt a Gary Stu or something, Mickey was good too in fact I prefer both to most female companions.

Doc should travel with a male only companion for a while, that will get the fangirls to watch it(I will hate it however if its just a pretty boy, needs to be a normal looker)

Ahh fair enough, I hated Rory though. He was a bit too everyman, a bit too ordinary. A bit, well, boring. Mickey was an everyman but had a bit of spark about him. I'd like to see a male companion, just to completely ensure the whole romantic angle of the show is gone and it gets back to a more platonic relationship. But I reckon it would be a pretty boy unfortunately :frown:
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
While I've generally enjoyed this series, talking in the pub on Wednesday with a friend made me realise some of the problems with this series. At the end of Day of The Doctor, we were teased with this finding Gallifrey plot arc. Time of... set it up further, and then it just appears to have been forgotten about. Then there was the talk in Deep Breath of why this [Capaldis] face, and Moffatt saying it wasn't random and would be expanded on. And that's just been ignored. Instead we've had the somewhat same-y "woman companion on TARDIS is conflicted about the Doctor and her boyfriend" - For Clara, see Amy & Rose, for Danny see Rory & Mickey. I wasn't expecting them to just bring back Gallifrey in one season, but I'd have liked to at least see something more about that.

That's fair enough really. I want to know why Capaldi's mug is popping up everywhere as well! However, I get the impression that this series is a conscious attempt to move away from the super serialised natures of series 5 to 7, I think even Moffat admitted he'd subconsciously lost sight of what he was doing with the show somewhere. Maybe we'll get some answers next year?

Original post by drbluebox

Doc should travel with a male only companion for a while, that will get the fangirls to watch it(I will hate it however if its just a pretty boy, needs to be a normal looker)

Agreed, or possibly a series 1 style dynamic of the Doctor, and a platonic male-female companion team
Original post by roobster
Nope, I think also think that series 8 is the best Doctor Who has been in years, and I'm constantly baffled by the bad reception its been getting from some people.

I struggled with the slightly contrived series 6, and thought that series 7 was such a mess to the point where I'd given up by The Crimson Horror, and missed the 50th anniversary without really caring that much.

I gave the new series a go though hoping the arrival of Capaldi would pick things up, but my expectations have been massively exceeded. It just feels like the effort's being put in again, with a straight focus on original stories (see Flatline, Listen and Time Heist) and thoughtful characterisation for both leads that I didn't think was possible for Doctor Who.

My issue with some of the complaints leveled at the series is that they seem to be very nitpicky, driven by some blind, irrational dislike of Steven Moffat, or that they are often applicable to previous series as well. For example, I really don't understand the mass hatred for Danny Pink - at best I find him to be pretty intriguing and a warm, quirky character in episodes like Listen, Into The Dalek and Dark Water, and simply bland but inoffensive in some other episodes at worst. I've seen people moaning about the cheesy heroic backflip at the end of The Caretaker, seeming to forget the time when the Doctor once used the energy of a supernova to declare his love for Rose, or how Rory was suddenly rewritten as a badass action hero whenever it suited the plot after series 5. Likewise, I don't understand why people suddenly have an issue with Clara taking a prominent role in some stories, when the entire arc revolved around her in series 7B and her character is actually being written as realistic and layered (if still overly witty) person.

The bitching about the scientific inaccuracy in Kill The Moon is also ridiculous in my opinion - this is a show where magical orbs have terraformed unhabitable planets in a blink of an eye, a hospital has been shifted on and off the moon intact, and a giant Titanic shaped starship has been metres away from hitting Buckingham Palace before making a sharp U-turn upwards into the sky in seconds. People have never complained about how scientifically implausible the show is before, and it seems like people just want an excuse to moan about how Steven Moffat's running the show into the ground.

This series hasn't been perfect (I agree that Deep Breath was an rubbish, confused misfire, and think that In the Forest of the Night was with good intentions, but pretty dull), but I do think this has been a considered and consistent series that's been good enough to restore my faith in the show and Moffat as a showrunner (on that subject, who could realistically replace him anyway?).

What you are forgetting is that the whole plot revolved around the scenario being realistic with the assumption that the creature hatching would destroy the earth so a plausible explanation of humanity surviving was needed to make the whole episode meaningful.I still think it was a good episode in general let down by the conclusion.If something improbably just happened people wouldn't be that angry but the plot revolved around the scenario being taken with a realistic view of the world and Kill the Moon's creature giving birth to an egg as big as it is beyond the usual unrealistic nature of the show and a lot of the show's concepts aren't that unrealistic because people have pulled off lucky escapes and constructing a titantic replica is plausible.

I will add onto this that the most improbable thing that happened this series when Earth trees were revealed to be conscious and able to grow as much as was needed to save the Earth, not only does this contradict basic plant science but it also contradicted the shows history because in The End of the World trees did not grow to try and save the Earth from the Sun- that episode has to be the worst episode ever wrote of Doctor Who I can't understand how Moffat could have deemed the show unacceptable, I think that was when I fully started to decide that the BBC need to get Moffat out ASAP because obviously something is wrong in the production team when an episode designed for 3 or 4 year olds was aired.

Doctor Who should be a serious Sci-Fi show based around complicated hard core Physics concepts that may sometimes be slightly improbable but ridiculous things like a creature giving birth to an egg the same size as it or plants growing to save the Earth and being conscious(which we know to be false on Earth in both the real world and the Doctor Who world) so the writers are just writing rubbish.Concepts like the Tardis being bigger in the inside makes sense with Physics of the 5th dimension.
Original post by Dalek1099
Doctor Who should be a serious Sci-Fi show based around complicated hard core Physics concepts that may sometimes be slightly improbable but ridiculous things like a creature giving birth to an egg the same size as it or plants growing to save the Earth and being conscious(which we know to be false on Earth in both the real world and the Doctor Who world) so the writers are just writing rubbish.Concepts like the Tardis being bigger in the inside makes sense with Physics of the 5th dimension.

Bruh.

Do you even physic?
Original post by Dalek1099
What you are forgetting is that the whole plot revolved around the scenario being realistic with the assumption that the creature hatching would destroy the earth so a plausible explanation of humanity surviving was needed to make the whole episode meaningful.I still think it was a good episode in general let down by the conclusion.If something improbably just happened people wouldn't be that angry but the plot revolved around the scenario being taken with a realistic view of the world and Kill the Moon's creature giving birth to an egg as big as it is beyond the usual unrealistic nature of the show and a lot of the show's concepts aren't that unrealistic because people have pulled off lucky escapes and constructing a titantic replica is plausible.

I will add onto this that the most improbable thing that happened this series when Earth trees were revealed to be conscious and able to grow as much as was needed to save the Earth, not only does this contradict basic plant science but it also contradicted the shows history because in The End of the World trees did not grow to try and save the Earth from the Sun- that episode has to be the worst episode ever wrote of Doctor Who I can't understand how Moffat could have deemed the show unacceptable, I think that was when I fully started to decide that the BBC need to get Moffat out ASAP because obviously something is wrong in the production team when an episode designed for 3 or 4 year olds was aired.

A solar flare, and the sun exploding, are two very different things. The earth being eaten by the sun isn't something that the trees could stop like in that episode. Again - doctor who is a science fiction show - the science doesn't have to be accurate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The brigadier killed the master? Did I go back to pertwees era?

Still, absolutely loved the episode. Gomez was a great master, just a shame that looks over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really disliked it
Wow, fair play to Michelle Gomez, absolutely excellent as The Master.
Disappointed the plot was essentially The Master wanting to be friends though, how anti climatic. The Cybermen were reduced to their typical bit part kinda-threatening-but-nothing-really-happens role. A cheap cameo by UNIT who had nothing to do except display severe human incompetence as well as Virgin Airlines Business Class cabins. That speech by Danny too, wonder if Tolkein's estate can sue for that.

Great individual acting performances, even from Danny and Clara, wrapped in a forgettable plot. 6/10
Had tears in eyes. Really enjoyed it, although thought final bit after the boy coming back was a bit ****.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
The brigadier killed the master? Did I go back to pertwees era?

Still, absolutely loved the episode. Gomez was a great master, just a shame that looks over.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Contrary for me. As always, Capaldi was fantastic. Gomez was fantastic. The plot was a great concept, but I thought everything else was terrible. Everything that could've possibly been interesting was just not explored (Gallifrey; Clara Oswald (how was the Oswin Oswald thing resolved again?? Surely that wasn't Clara permeating His timeline?) not ordinary; Master/Doctor relationship). Too much "power of love" for the resolution. Danny's heroic send-off uber cheesy. Quite possibly the most interesting motivation for a villain just completely snuffed out like that...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really enjoyed that, but jeez it was a packed episode :lol:
jesus christ, what a poor finale
I agree somewhat. Capaldi and Gomez were great. However, again as nearly every plot/episode has been this season... It was terrible. I liked Moffats First season 5 episode and a couple after that, but I personally think he is not a fraction of how good Russell T Davies whas.... All of his seasons have VERY VERY guessable plot lines and are REALLY not suttle so at the season finale you go ... meh... Cant beat Season 4. that plotline is genius... because even though you get this "he will knock 4 times"... you never EVER guess it was gona be wilf... and davids before regen speech ... AMAZING... Can't beat tenth, tenth for life :biggrin:
Reply 4254
I dont think Missy died- blue was teleportation and red was death, it was like that pretty much the whole episode. 100% sure Missy/Master will be back
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Contrary for me. As always, Capaldi was fantastic. Gomez was fantastic. The plot was a great concept, but I thought everything else was terrible. Everything that could've possibly been interesting was just not explored (Gallifrey; Clara Oswald (how was the Oswin Oswald thing resolved again?? Surely that wasn't Clara permeating His timeline?) not ordinary; Master/Doctor relationship). Too much "power of love" for the resolution. Danny's heroic send-off uber cheesy. Quite possibly the most interesting motivation for a villain just completely snuffed out like that...

Posted from TSR Mobile

The send off for Danny was ridiculous, I'll give you that, but Gallifrey - there wasn't really room in there to do it justice, it'd just be "oh, by the way Gallifrey is back" - which for what would be a decent story, would be incredibly underwhelming. Assuming by Oswin you're talking about the Dalek Asylum - that was just the scattered across the timeline thing (we saw Smiths doctor die in that scene when the Great Intelligence went through): although that raises a question: how did they get out of his time line?

The master-doctor relationship was quite good I thought, although I am disappointed they killed off the master just like that, still, they killed off Simms master and he managed to come back again...
Original post by somemightsay888
Wow, fair play to Michelle Gomez, absolutely excellent as The Master.

Yeah I thought she was great, hope we see more of her in the future.

Spoiler

The trailer for the christmas episode just looked...bizarre though...
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
Yeah I thought she was great, hope we see more of her in the future.

Spoiler

The trailer for the christmas episode just looked...bizarre though...

There's room for a villain in Star Wars Episode 7, cast her!!

Spoiler

Guess I'm the only one who thought missy was extremely cheesy then.

The "hey missy you're so fine" and the mary poppins scene (oh sweet jesus that was bad) were so cringey imo.
Yh missy was kinda chessy. But thats moffat for you... his humor is terrible... Again... cant beat series 4 for the relationship between the master and the doctor. Hows about moffat gives dr who to a better writer and WORKS ON SHERLOCK so we can have it sooner than a 2015 year special ( - is a joke, i know cast are busy)

Quick Reply

Latest