The Student Room Group

Media Studies GCSE?

Okay,
I have a ROUGH idea of what I want to do- at the moment journalism seems to appeal to me the most. However, I can never make up my mind, and the idea of what I want to do is constantly changing. The only things I'm really sure about are:

-I would like to do something with languages (particularly French, but also English), and moving image arts (media studies), and finally, Chemistry. Weird mix, right?

-I seem to be strongest in sciences (including maths), and languages (french, spanish and english).

Now, to the point: I would really like to do media studies for GCSE, as I know it can help with careers in journalism and advertising (yet another thing I like the sound of doing). However, I have also heard that it's consider a 'soft' subject, that is a waste of time, and holds little value when applying to university.:confused: I don't want to waste time doing something that won't help me, and I don't want to do Media Studies when I could be doing something else that could help me with a career in science (you guessed, another thing I find myself wanting to do at times).

Do you think that Media Studies would be the thing for me, based on what I've said above? :s-smilie:
Thank-you for your time! :biggrin:
Reply 1
I think you should do it. Some people see it as a 'soft' subject, but I do Drama GCSE and let me tell you how hard it is. The practical, with good guidance, I'm predicted an A* based on my last group performance. The theory? Our lost mock saw 1 B and the rest Fs - Ds...and we were told this was normal for this point in year 11. Universities that have knowledge on all subjects will realise how much work actually goes into Drama/Media Studies.

I also think you build a lot of skills in it that don't come with other subjects...having to put your ideas onto the table and imaging how they will work with other people in your group, performing and putting yourself into other characters and confidence also comes into play....

How many GCSEs will you be able to choose?
I think you should do it. Some people see it as a 'soft' subject, but I do Drama GCSE and let me tell you how hard it is. The practical, with good guidance, I'm predicted an A* based on my last group performance. The theory? Our lost mock saw 1 B and the rest Fs - Ds...and we were told this was normal for this point in year 11. Universities that have knowledge on all subjects will realise how much work actually goes into Drama/Media Studies.

I also think you build a lot of skills in it that don't come with other subjects...having to put your ideas onto the table and imaging how they will work with other people in your group, performing and putting yourself into other characters and confidence also comes into play....

Original post by Its_Tito
How many GCSEs will you be able to choose?

My school lets me do 10 1/2 GCSEs, including short course RS(1/2), not including Add. Maths (so it's quite a squeeze to get everything you want in)! :unsure:
Reply 3
Original post by sthompson897
My school lets me do 10 1/2 GCSEs, including short course RS(1/2), not including Add. Maths (so it's quite a squeeze to get everything you want in)! :unsure:

And do you think there are other subjects that could help you more than Media Studies? That you will also enjoy at the same time don't forget :')
Okay,
I have a ROUGH idea of what I want to do- at the moment journalism seems to appeal to me the most. However, I can never make up my mind, and the idea of what I want to do is constantly changing. The only things I'm really sure about are:

-I would like to do something with languages (particularly French, but also English), and moving image arts (media studies), and finally, Chemistry. Weird mix, right?

-I seem to be strongest in sciences (including maths), and languages (french, spanish and english).

Now, to the point: I would really like to do media studies for GCSE, as I know it can help with careers in journalism and advertising (yet another thing I like the sound of doing). However, I have also heard that it's consider a 'soft' subject, that is a waste of time, and holds little value when applying to university.:confused: I don't want to waste time doing something that won't help me, and I don't want to do Media Studies when I could be doing something else that could help me with a career in science (you guessed, another thing I find myself wanting to do at times).

Do you think that Media Studies would be the thing for me, based on what I've said above? :s-smilie:

:redface: We are so similar. My favourite subjects are chemistry, English and media. I'm equally strong in all three and im thinking about journalism a bit. But from what I've been told:I strongly advise you NOT to take media studies at Alevel. To get into journalism or even media at university, you don't even need a media A level. I can't really suggest what you should take but if you decide you don't want to do a journalism then you're in trouble. Certain universities/courses don't even count media as an alevel. Especially if you are a strong student, don't do it.
Try: chemistry, english, French (and maybe another science, language or written subject) or even media here if you want but i suggest drop it at A2.
It's your decision though and I may be biased :smile:
*I thought you meant A level* I love media GCSE do it, because it's only at gcse it's good to have a more relaxed fun subject
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Media Studies is really a waste tbh, I'm doing it this year since I'm in year 11 and we did stupid music videos and comic book posters for our controlled assessments, I regret picking it so much. I should of listened to all those olders that told me not to pick this subject.
I am Year 11 and personally, I love Media Studies GCSE. I am also aspiring to be a journalist and feel that the subject content really helps with this career path due to the new insight into industry and audience. Yes, it is perhaps seen as a 'softer' subject than say Science, however if you feel that you will enjoy it, why not do it? For me, alongside Media I take Double Science, French, Geography, History, RS Long Course (and obviously English and Maths) and I find it a great subject where I can relax a little but still learn a lot in lessons. As for taking the subject further, I am not sure if I will do it at A Level as like others have already stated, it is not a requirement to do Media at A Level to be a journalist as long as you go down the English route. Alternatively, you could always take it for your first year and drop it for A2.

Hopefully this was helpful to you and good luck making your option choices!
Okay,

I think u should go for scientific acknowledgment because media studies is agreed to be a good subject but it's very theoretical and context heavy which is a mistake I did by picking media so go for sciences. You are more likely to have a better future you can enjoy by looking into science

Quick Reply

Latest