The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

just going to rant for a sec. Really enjoyed this episode, Michelle Gomez was (hopefully still is) a fantastic master, really liked the idea of why she did it. Especially liked the idea of her creating the army for him and how that's what he as always wanted (though was a bit similar to the whole stolen earth the doctor turns people into weapons).

However that being said kate steward not dying and being saved by her father was just a insult, was ultimately unnecessary and totally predictable.

Not enough has really been made about the doctor willing to kill somebody but hopefully that will be dealt with in the future.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

The last we saw of the Master, he was killed in the series 4 finale. Thanks to Gallifrey not actually being destroyed an earlier/later (wibbly wobbly timey wimey, we're not sure how this works), the Master is still kicking about on that planet in another dimension (hence he was never actually killed). He hijacks a TARDIS, finds his way out of that dimension and into our one, and boom! He's back.

why don't the other timelords on Gallifrey just do the same thing if the Master could do it?:confused:
After the great part 1, that was just a bit rubbish. Missy is not bad as the Master but Simms was god like in the role and no flashback was made for her. The ending was utter soppy rubbish with love conquering all.

Original post by TheMagicalWizard
I agree somewhat. Capaldi and Gomez were great. However, again as nearly every plot/episode has been this season... It was terrible. I liked Moffats First season 5 episode and a couple after that, but I personally think he is not a fraction of how good Russell T Davies whas.... All of his seasons have VERY VERY guessable plot lines and are REALLY not suttle so at the season finale you go ... meh... Cant beat Season 4. that plotline is genius... because even though you get this "he will knock 4 times"... you never EVER guess it was gona be wilf... and davids before regen speech ... AMAZING... Can't beat tenth, tenth for life :biggrin:

Season 4 was pitch perfect for the story and introduction of River. Even in episode 2 (Pompeii with Capaldi).. "She is returning.. and there is something on your back".. an epic paradox was set in motion.
Original post by Teddysmith123
but I liked how he choose to bring the child back instead that was actually a nice touch.

Yeah, this was one of my favourite parts of the episode. It was nice that he could finally make up for the thing that had been causing him guilt for all those years.

I do like Clara but I sort of wish they'd let that be her ending. It was nice to have a companion able to just go back to trying to live a normal life but also to be able to contact the doctor if they ever wanted to. Hopefully they don't do something irritating like kill her off for no reason in the Christmas episode.
Original post by Teddysmith123
why don't the other timelords on Gallifrey just do the same thing if the Master could do it?:confused:

They're probably trying, but the Master is really clever compared to most. As is the Doctor! :tongue:

Or maybe the other Time Lords are quite happy in the other dimension. Who knows what's there. Might be a carbon copy of our universe, just without the Doctor.
"Cybermen, brought to you by Tony Stark"
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
What? This is definitely not what I want. I think the majority of Doctor Who fans are sick to death of companions falling for the doctor constantly. We want platonic relationships.

The doctor used to have male companions, but since the new ones there has only really been captain jack (who is still alive by the way, it is hinted that the face of boe is him very far in the future). I don't count Rory since he was just a tag-along really.

Since Moffat is enjoying bringing back elements of classic Who, i think he should bring in a male companion again.

They've probably got the BBC down their neck saying they have to have a female companion for diversity policies. There were people complaining when the new Doctor was announced as a white male so imagine the fury if the companion was a male as well!
I enjoyed that episode more than the first part. At least in this one I didn't know what was going to happen as they hadn't spoiled it with give-away previews.

As long as I got over the frankly terrible incarnation of the Cybermen and Danny's cheese it was good. Probably a just above average episode for an average series. Not particularly enthused about Christmas though.
Original post by Singh95
I'm relatively new to Dr. Who... So apologies if this seems a dumb question, but if Missy/Master is a time lord, how come they didn't regenerate after getting shot?

assume she actually died. She was disintegrated. Its set in doctor who lore that the doctor can die if his body is totally destroyed or almost totally destroyed. That or "killed" whilst regenerating.
Original post by TroyAndAbed
Yeah, this was one of my favourite parts of the episode. It was nice that he could finally make up for the thing that had been causing him guilt for all those years.

I do like Clara but I sort of wish they'd let that be her ending. It was nice to have a companion able to just go back to trying to live a normal life but also to be able to contact the doctor if they ever wanted to. Hopefully they don't do something irritating like kill her off for no reason in the Christmas episode.

She is probably going to come back in the Christmas episode because of what Nick Frost "Santa" said about how it can't end like this and that she's not happy or something along those lines. I think that was my favourite part of the episode too because I genuinely did not expect him to do that, and I think for that reason alone Danny's character for me was actually the best thing in the whole season. I also enjoyed Missy's ramblings and craziness, I do feel though that when Simms played the master he was crazy but more evil genius which I didn't really get from Missy; but that might just be because of the fact that there wasn't a lot of interactions between the doctor and Missy.

They're probably trying, but the Master is really clever compared to most. As is the Doctor! :tongue:

Or maybe the other Time Lords are quite happy in the other dimension. Who knows what's there. Might be a carbon copy of our universe, just without the Doctor.

Maybe, but I do hope that Gallifrey is explored a bit more.
Original post by TroyAndAbed
They've probably got the BBC down their neck saying they have to have a female companion for diversity policies. There were people complaining when the new Doctor was announced as a white male so imagine the fury if the companion was a male as well!

Ugh, never thought about that. So stupid.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
Ugh, never thought about that. So stupid.

I think that may be the case with a lot of this series. Moffat, to me, has proven himself to be a fantastic writer with what he's done on Sherlock, with his episodes during Russell T. Davies' era, and the arcs he set up and the world he created in series 5-7. Series 8 has been a gigantic dip, and I don't think it's explained as simply as "Moffat is a bad writer" (again, he wrote some of the best episodes of this series), and it does seem like casting and acting has taken a hit (child acting this series has been terrible, Clara's character has taken a massive hit - possibly writing/directing?). It doesn't make sense that he'd suddenly produce a crap series. Wouldn't be surprised if these were due to influences outwith the showrunner's control.
I'm not gonna lie, for all the flaws of the series, this was the best finale i have ever seen on Dr Who. Ludicrously clever.
Guys, the fact that Galifrey was just "thrown in" is not an accident. The doctor cannot find his home planet because he is alienated by his own identity. The master said it, symbolically, because she also makes him accept who he is, which has been an ongoing character theme throughout the series.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think this is genuinely the only TV episode ever (In the whole of TV) that actually brought some tears to my eyes, and that Danny Pink brought back a kid that he had killed

Though what happened to that kid?

As a side note, I found "Colonel Ahmed" an interesting thing as well, because of the press's vilification of Muslims and how all Muslims hate the UK etc.. (Ahmed generally being a Muslim name)

And a nice jab at the Americans! :biggrin: - so a bit of light politics in there as well (Not the first time theyve done so. Theyve had a lesbian inter-species relationship once)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by de_monies
I think this is genuinely the only TV episode ever (In the whole of TV) that actually brought some tears to my eyes, and that Danny Pink brought back a kid that he had killed

Yeah that hit me

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sorry the people trashing this episode are just wrong.
Original post by de_monies

He was the kid that Danny killed during his tour of service in Iraq. Danny's guilt and pain caused by his life as a soldier was a recurring theme throughout the series, and it was only revealed last episode that he killed that kid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He was the kid that Danny killed during his tour of service in Iraq. Danny's guilt and pain caused by his life as a soldier was a recurring theme throughout the series, and it was only revealed last episode that he killed that kid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No no, I GOT that bit, but Clara was told to "Find his parents" and it's like "How?"
Original post by Andy98
Yeah that hit me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think I've said before I do quite like emotion in TV/movies (Whatever that might be - pain, love, whatever - the acting seems a little more "real")

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending