The Student Room Group

Are these good Gcse options for Medicine at Oxford?

these are the following GCSEs that I have wished to pursue:
- English Language
- English Literature
- Maths
- Further Maths
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Physics
- Business Studies
- Dida (got a an A*)
- Urdu (got an A*)
- History
- Geography
- French
- RE
yes they're very good :smile:
They seem fine. I don't think it really matters what subjects you take, just make sure you get as many A*s as possible.
Reply 3
Thanks - do you think I shoul've taken French
Sure you need so many?
Reply 5
Original post by BULL14
these are the following GCSEs that I have wished to pursue:
- English Language
- English Literature
- Maths
- Further Maths
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Physics
- Business Studies
- Dida (got a an A*)
- Urdu (got an A*)
- History
- Geography
- French
- RE

These are excellent subjects to study and fine for Oxford too, however do you think you will be able to push yourself into getting As and A* in all if not most of them. It is possible, as I had done most of the subjects the same as you, German instead of French, Health and Social Care and Statistics instead of Dida and Urdu and managed to do it too. Everything else the same, I even did GCSE Further Maths too! (--Very helpful when it comes to Alevel Maths, same concepts as Core 1:biggrin::biggrin:),

However I did mine was 2 years ago and I have heard that there will no resits, so are you willing to put the pressure on (I'm sure you are), or do you think maybe you can reduce your subjects, e.g not do History and R.E- both highly contented, and focus on the others in getting A*s and As.

For example I think its better to say you got 9A* 5As, instead of 7A*s, 5As and 2Bs, because you were spreading yourself out amongst 14 subjects you got 2 less A*s which turned to 2Bs instead. You can use the space in your brain :wink: and effort that you will be putting into the 2 subjects, for the other 12 subjects instead and hence improving your chance of getting better grades. Trust me it's less stressful too!

I completed Maths, Sciences and Business in Year 10, and had to do only 9 Subjects in Year 11, but even then it was stressful for me. Btw I just started Year 13.
If you need any help regarding GCSEs, or Alevels e.g Revision Tips, Books I used, etc, do not hesitate to contact me.

Hope I helped! :smile:
Good Luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Meddabee
These are excellent subjects to study and fine for Oxford too, however do you think you will be able to push yourself into getting As and A* in all if not most of them. It is possible, as I had done most of the subjects the same as you, German instead of French, Health and Social Care and Statistics instead of Dida and Urdu and managed to do it too. Everything else the same, I even did GCSE Further Maths too! (--Very helpful when it comes to Alevel Maths, same concepts as Core 1:biggrin::biggrin:),

However I did mine was 2 years ago and I have heard that there will no resits, so are you willing to put the pressure on (I'm sure you are), or do you think maybe you can reduce your subjects, e.g not do History and R.E- both highly contented, and focus on the others in getting A*s and As.

For example I think its better to say you got 9A* 5As, instead of 7A*s, 5As and 2Bs, because you were spreading yourself out amongst 14 subjects you got 2 less A*s which turned to 2Bs instead. You can use the space in your brain :wink: and effort that you will be putting into the 2 subjects, for the other 12 subjects instead and hence improving your chance of getting better grades. Trust me it's less stressful too!

I completed Maths, Sciences and Business in Year 10, and had to do only 9 Subjects in Year 11, but even then it was stressful for me. Btw I just started Year 13.
If you need any help regarding GCSEs, or Alevels e.g Revision Tips, Books I used, etc, do not hesitate to contact me.

Hope I helped! :smile:
Good Luck!

thanks for the reply. I think these are the grades that I will manage to get:
- English Language = A/B
- English Literature =A/B
- Maths =A*
- Further Maths =A/A*
- Biology =A*
- Chemistry =A*
- Physics =A*
- Business Studies =A*
- Dida (got a an A*)
- Urdu (got an A*)
- History =A*
- Geography =A*
- French =A/B
- RE =A*

are these good enough grades for medicine at Oxford
Original post by BULL14
- English Language = A/B
- Maths =A*
- Further Maths =A/A*
- Biology =A*
- Chemistry =A*
- Physics =A*
- Business Studies =A*
- Dida (got a an A*)
- Urdu (got an A*)
- History =A*
- Geography =A*
- French =A/B
- RE =A*

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Reply 8
please help
Reply 9
Those grades are more than fine, if you can achieve them. Most Oxford students, this being a very wide average, achieve about 8 A* grades so I think you will do fine.
Its about taking the right subjedt at a level to get a* in the right subjects to get in oxford or cambridge
To be honest, your subjects don't matter too much at GCSE - even for medicine - as long as you have maths, English and double (but preferably triple) science, and they let you take the subjects you want to take to A level. If those are all subjects you enjoy and think you'll do well at, do them.
Original post by BULL14
- English Language = A/B
- Maths =A*
- Further Maths =A/A*
- Biology =A*
- Chemistry =A*
- Physics =A*
- Business Studies =A*
- Dida (got a an A*)
- Urdu (got an A*)
- History =A*
- Geography =A*
- French =A/B
- RE =A*

That's great! If you can achieve those it will definitely be an advantage.

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/med...cal/statistics
This link nexttime gave you is particularly good, read the shortlisting part as that mentions about GCSE too, a particular bit it said was, "For those shortlisted who had taken GCSEs, the mean number of A*s at GCSE was 10.1". Also read about GCSEs & BMAT on it.
"The mean number of A* at GCSE for all applicants was 8.4; this rose to 10.1 for those short-listed and 10.4 for those applicants made offers.
The mean proportion of A* at GCSE was 0.79; this rose to 0.93 for those short-listed and 0.95 for those applicants made offers."

So if you can achieve atleast around 10A*s, you will be ok. Make sure do get good resources for revision, this was the key to my success. But bear in mind that GCSEs are not the only thing they take into consideration, they also look at other factors such as BMAT, extracurricular.

Also what school year are you? I assume Year 10. Also are you planning on doing any work shadowing or volunteering?
Don't stress out too much! It's such a cliche, but believe in yourself and have a can do attitude. It's A Levels that are going to matter even more.

If you need any support do contact me either on this thread or PM me. Good Luck! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
As long as you get good GCSE's (like 90% A*s) I don't think Oxford really care much for what you took...obviously you need chemistry/biology but that's fundamental anyway. They care about A levels.
Reply 14
thanks everybody - so do you think 10A*s will be alright?

I planning to do 5/6 AS Levels in:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Economics
Psychology (possibility)
Urdu
Furthermore, I am doing a week of work experience at Psychology lab at the university of Oxford
Reply 15
so what do you think?
Original post by BULL14
so what do you think?

You will be fine. Just go work hard and get the grades first. :lolwut: Focus on now so you can get those 10A*s and then you can move onto what you want for A-Level. Read the links to the previous Oxford stats too. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BULL14
so what do you think?

They don't really care about what GCSEs you do, it's more about the A* percentage that you get (Number of A*s/Number of GCSEs taken x100)
Original post by BULL14
so what do you think?

yes that is mega tryhard, you already know you have a good chance of getting in so why are you asking everyone haha, just don't bottle the interview and stuff, remember its not all grades there is a difference between sweat and true intelligence and they will take that into account, think about the guy who got 7 A*s at A level and got a standard rejection letter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending