The Student Room Group

What do you think is a good salary and why?

Scroll to see replies

yeah I aiming to earn between the 60k to 80k earning potential.
Depends on where you live and your own personal careers aspirations/expectations. £20k+ is my own personal goal for a comfortable life.
i assume most of you are plucking numbers out of thin air
Reply 23
If we say a mortgage payment is about 1000 a month, then I'd like to be earning double that amount after tax. That's 24k; must be around 30k before tax? Maybe it's about 32k. Obviously I'd rather earn loads more though, but I can't see that ever happening.

Original post by Balloon Baboon
I think anything over 18k you can live pretty well. Circumstances depending, of course. :smile:

You sure? I get 17k and, after tax, that works out as just over 1k a month. 18k or 19k would only be a tiny bit more per month. There's no way I could afford anything more than a room if I tried to move out, and that would take around half of my wages. When you remove food, bills, travel, and general spending, I'm not sure there'd be anything left. And, when I say travel, I mean public transport; a car would be way too expensive.

You can live, I just dunno about living well.
Reply 24
Original post by JoshZ
There are some delusional people on this thread!!

And you are one of them!!!😎
Reply 25
Original post by Gadlad
And you are one of them!!!������

Great banter.
Reply 26
Original post by JoshZ
Great banter.

Mate seriously,that is the most cliched phrase people are using these days!i hear 6-7 times in my school everyday!please at least think of something else to say.😜
Original post by solarplexus
100-200k a year by at least age 45 after tax of course....

made by career salary and personal investments...

would make you very comfortable provided your out of debt by 35

Not even the prime minister earns £200k after tax :s-smilie:
Original post by xDave-
If we say a mortgage payment is about 1000 a month, then I'd like to be earning double that amount after tax. That's 24k; must be around 30k before tax? Maybe it's about 32k. Obviously I'd rather earn loads more though, but I can't see that ever happening.

You sure? I get 17k and, after tax, that works out as just over 1k a month. 18k or 19k would only be a tiny bit more per month. There's no way I could afford anything more than a room if I tried to move out, and that would take around half of my wages. When you remove food, bills, travel, and general spending, I'm not sure there'd be anything left. And, when I say travel, I mean public transport; a car would be way too expensive.

Do you live in London? Or another largely expensive area in the UK? If not that is plenty for a single person to live on. 1k a month is perfectly reasonable.
Original post by xDave-

I lived on that pretty easily to be honest.
Original post by Balloon Baboon
I lived on that pretty easily to be honest.

Considering how easily (some) student live on say the maximum student finance of 7 grand a year, there is no way unless in an area such as London that 17k is infeasible. I'm willing to bet they just can't budget or want to live beyond their means. I'd be absolutely over the mood with 17k! that's more more money than my entire household has ever lived on per year.
Original post by SophieSmall
Considering how easily (some) student live on say the maximum student finance of 7 grand a year, there is no way unless in an area such as London that 17k is infeasible. I'm willing to bet they just can't budget or want to live beyond their means. I'd be absolutely over the mood with 17k! that's more more money than my entire household has ever lived on per year.

Absolutely. I can understand London living, sure. But for the rest of the UK, if you can't live on 17k - why not?
Original post by xDave-
If we say a mortgage payment is about 1000 a month.

I didn't see this before. A mortgage payment of £1,000 a month?? What are you living in a mansion? :biggrin:
solid:

grad salary 25k
salary after 2 years 28k
4 years 32k
8 years 36k
eventually 70k

amazing:

grad salary 30k (you darn medics!)
2 years 34k
4 years 40k
8 years 70k
eventually 100k+

1. No student lives 'easily' without parental support.
2. Have you ever lived in London?
3. 17k in London means a council flat, a lodger (illegal) and an empty fridge, most days. you can eat, but not well.
Original post by Guills on wheels
1. No student lives 'easily' without parental support.
2. Have you ever lived in London?
3. 17k in London means a council flat, a lodger (illegal) and an empty fridge, most days. you can eat, but not well.

You seem to have missed the part of my sentence that clearly said "unless in london".
You seem to have missed the part of my sentence that clearly said "unless in london".

oh wait.

sorry.
Original post by Guills on wheels
oh wait.

sorry.

No problem, we all do it.

yeah, other parts of the country, 17k is piss easy to live on! Yeah!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending