The Student Room Group

Is it immoral to ignore beggars on the streets?

This is just a question I've been wondering about recently, so I would be interested to hear what people think. Is it immoral or inhuman to ignore or simply walk past beggars on the streets without helping them?

Scroll to see replies

Once, I was walking with my mum in the park, and a beggar approached us for money, my mum gave him a few quid and he said "Thanks! I haven't had a beer in ages"

Ever since I've been reluctant to give beggars money, if I have the time then I'd go to the nearest shop and purchase some food for them.

But I don't really think it's immoral to completely ignore their pleas~
I think we should be doing more as a society to help them, but I don't think it's immoral to not give money as you do not know how they will spend it. I think giving them food or a drink or something is a better solution if you yourself have the money to do so.
No
To be honest I think the best way to help the homeless is to donate to charities. Beggars in the street may be scam artists, and even if they are genuinely homeless you don't know what they will spend the money on.
No, they should be working for their money and supporting our economy, not begging.
Of course not, it's your money. If you want to make a difference donate to charities like help the homeless.

For all you know that beggar is a scam-artiest and isn't really needy, or they might be part of a roma gang. And the money you give them might go towards drugs or alcohol.
Original post by Reluire
This is just a question I've been wondering about recently, so I would be interested to hear what people think. Is it immoral or inhuman to ignore or simply walk past beggars on the streets without helping them?

No, if anything its human to ignore them. Humans are imperfect and not always kind or helpful. However, i think its a good thing to do to try and help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope, I tend to ignore beggars. Hate it when they come up to me or other students knowing I'm 18 and perhaps more easily intimidated. They've recently taken to walking around outside the University campus and cornering people during break.
Original post by Buxtonwater
No, they should be working for their money and supporting our economy, not begging.

Kind of difficult to get a job when you don't have an address, there are a lot of hidden difficulties homeless people face when trying to get back on their feet. Simple things you'd probably never have thought of that make things immensely difficult.
Reply 9
I've wondered about this question too and for me it hinges on a deeper question I don't have the answer to yet: Can inaction be immoral, as opposed to simply amoral?

Whatever the answer to that is, I don't buy the idea that there is anything moral about not giving homeless people money. People often say it's better to give to homeless charities, but who among them are giving homeless charities? Instead it seems like an excuse to morally waive themselves of any responsibility to help a homeless person and keep their money, with the clincher of somehow wrangling to feel superior to those who do.
(edited 9 years ago)
No Begging should be made illegal. Beggars are either drunks and drug addicts or Romanian immigrants who have migrated here to do nothing else but beg.

Begging needs to be criminalised
Reply 11
Original post by -Native Briton-
No Begging should be made illegal. Beggars are either drunks and drug addicts or Romanian immigrants who have migrated here to do nothing else but beg.

Begging needs to be criminalised

That's quite drastic !
Original post by Mayanne
That's quite drastic !

not really all kinds of anti social behaviour is criminalised such as pissing in the street or drinking in public. Exactly how is begging any different ?
Reply 13
Original post by -Native Briton-
not really all kinds of anti social behaviour is criminalised such as pissing in the street or drinking in public. Exactly how is begging any different ?

Well some of these people have had hard lives and are trying to get back up on their feet. I guess we should be helping them, not outlawing their behaviour.
Reply 14
Original post by SophieSmall
Kind of difficult to get a job when you don't have an address, there are a lot of hidden difficulties homeless people face when trying to get back on their feet. Simple things you'd probably never have thought of that make things immensely difficult.

I agree !
Original post by Mayanne
Well some of these people have had hard lives and are trying to get back up on their feet. I guess we should be helping them, not outlawing their behaviour.

As i stated in my previous post beggars are predominately alcoholics and drug users and there is already a variety of mechanisms for them to get back on their feet. Begging is not the answer.

Romanian and other eastern european beggars should be arrested deported as we should not be importing beggars to our country.
Reply 16
No, they're contributing nothing and may simply use it for drugs or alcohol. There was a sign at my home-town's train station that warned people not to give to beggars. I could understand someone feeling guilty for not giving to a busker, they are providing a service, albeit one no-one asked for.
No. I see the same ones all the time round here trying the same bull**** lies on passers-by that they've been trying for years ("I just need 50p for the bus" etc.**** off, at least be honest about what it'd really be spent on - special brew). They are parasites that are content to live that life and I'm not gonna be an enabler. I still feel guilty every time I say no but that does not outweigh the feeling of being a mug that I'd get if I handed anything over.
(edited 9 years ago)
The thing about beggars is you never know what they'll spend it on. Sometimes you'll give one some money and they'll walk straight into a Tesco's for a pack of cigarettes or some beer.

But sometimes (most of the time) I really can't bring myself to turn them down. I feel awful doing so.
Reply 19
Some people on this thread seem to be under the impression I'm saying we should give money to them. I didn't say that - I questioned whether we should be doing more to help them. I agree we shouldn't give money to them because we can usually guess what they're going to spend it on. That said, I worry about how unhappy some of those people must be, given their circumstances. It's worth considering that they probably only drink and smoke to ease their emotional pain. It's not an excuse for them to spend money they're given on these vices, but it's a logical explanation. Some people will have put themselves in those positions through bad decisions and choices, but others won't I'm sure. There's something that feels wrong and inhuman to me about turning our backs on fellow humans and not doing anything to help them... and yet, hypocritically, I still do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending