The Student Room Group

How to get a scrawny ginger to go to the gym

This scrawny little ginger in my sixth form gets bullied in the common room and I mean physically bullied like getting his work stolen his bag thrown out of the window etc. He sometimes gets mad and tries to fight back but he is too weak to do anything about it.

So as a solution I have asked him many times to go to the gym so he can actually get strong enough to stand up for himself but he keeps making up bull**** excuses like saying 'he has a cold' and he instead prefers to stay in the common room getting bullied instead of actually going to the gym and trying to gain some muscle.

Is there anyway I can convince him to go to the gym or is he just beyond help?
Reply 1
Quite nice of you to be that concerned, so I applaud that.

No idea man, he has to wanna do it himself. He has to see the value in going there and see what he's losing out on.

On that note, can you motivate me to go to the gym? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I doubt the effects will be noticeable enough within the timescales. Perhaps instead offer the advice of reporting it to the school and lea if not dealt with?

This is 6th form after all, far easier to expel the bullying scum
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Reue
I doubt the effects will be noticeable enough within the timescales. Perhaps instead offer the advice of reporting it to the school and lea if not dealt with?

I imagine the confidence gained from going to the gym will help in dealing with this too. Thing about most bullies is that they won't so **** when properly confronted. They pick on weak targets because they know they won't put up a fight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Ggmu!
I imagine the confidence gained from going to the gym will help in dealing with this too. Thing about most bullies is that they won't so **** when properly confronted. They pick on weak targets because they know they won't put up a fight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or instead they'll enter into a real fight and he will come off much worse. Better to stop the bullying initially rather than reacting to it.
Original post by Reue

This is 6th form after all, far easier to expel the bullying scum
Nah I think its best for him to deal with these problems by standing up for himself otherwise he'll get bullied his entire life
Reply 6
Original post by Reue
Or instead they'll enter into a real fight and he will come off much worse. Better to stop the bullying initially rather than reacting to it.

Or they'll know he's a pussy who has to get other to fight his fights? That's awful advice. He should deal with it without the use of authority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by intelligent con
Nah I think its best for him to deal with these problems by standing up for himself otherwise he'll get bullied his entire life

Disagree. fighting violence with violence only works between children or immature adults.
Reply 8
Original post by Ggmu!
Or they'll know he's a pussy who has to get other to fight his fights? That's awful advice. He should deal with it without the use of authority.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In about 5 years he will enter the adult workplace and realise that no one cares or notices how 'hard' you are, because ultimately the strength of authority is far stronger.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
This scrawny little ginger in my sixth form gets bullied in the common room and I mean physically bullied like getting his work stolen his bag thrown out of the window etc. He sometimes gets mad and tries to fight back but he is too weak to do anything about it.

So as a solution I have asked him many times to go to the gym so he can actually get strong enough to stand up for himself but he keeps making up bull**** excuses like saying 'he has a cold' and he instead prefers to stay in the common room getting bullied instead of actually going to the gym and trying to gain some muscle.

Is there anyway I can convince him to go to the gym or is he just beyond help?

Going to the gym is hardly going to do much, is it? If someone tried that where I live; they would be called a try hard or something.
Reply 10
Original post by Reue
In about 5 years he will enter the adult workplace and realise that no one cares or notices how 'hard' you are, because ultimately the strength of authority is far stronger.

It isn't 5 years in the future, this is the present. I'm not suggest he intimidate his Co workers with a shown of strength lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Ggmu!
It isn't 5 years in the future, this is the present. I'm not suggest he intimidate his Co workers with a shown of strength lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And I'm not convinced going to the gym will have any positive effects in the near present at all.
Original post by Reue
And I'm not convinced going to the gym will have any positive effects in the near present at all.
It probably will the guy bullying him isn't particuarly strong.
Original post by Davalla
Going to the gym is hardly going to do much, is it? If someone tried that where I live; they would be called a try hard or something.
He's probably the only person I know of who somehow manages to get bullied in sixth form. Maybe if he went to the gym at the very least he would gain confidence to actually stand up for himself
It probably will the guy bullying him isn't particuarly strong.

Even the 'beefiest' of guys can get bullied. It's more about cognitions, I reckon'.
Original post by Davalla
Even the 'beefiest' of guys can get bullied. It's more about cognitions, I reckon'.

I've never seen a 'beefy' guy get bullied. Besides he's got to be the only person in our entire sixth form who manages to get bullied because of the fact he won't stand up for himself. Maybe if he went to the gym he would gain the strength and the confidence to actually stand up for himself
At the end of the day it is his choice as to what he wants but it's good to hear you're a good person helping him to stop getting bullied.

The first step I would take is; going to a teacher by yourself or with him to explain the situation. This is always the easiest way as they have power and can exclude or expel the other students.

Next step is; ask if he has any weights at home he can lift. Tell him to go out jogging or even do some at home exercises as this can help him re-fresh his mind and clear out any bad thoughts.

And the final step is; try you're hardest to convince him gym is a good place to go. Not only like option B does it re-fresh you're mind it can help bulk up and get you stronger. Tell him the pros of going.

But I would highly recommend telling a teacher. Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending