The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Original post by punctuation
Why not...??

I don't know? That's why I asked the question. I have no idea about what qualifications you need to do a master's degree..

EDIT: You're a community assistant, please assist rather than patronise.
(edited 9 years ago)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by anonwinner
I don't know? That's why I asked the question. I have no idea about what qualifications you need to do a master's degree..

EDIT: You're a community assistant, please assist rather than patronise.

I don't think he was trying to patronize; he was asking why that wouldn't be possible, given that there really seems to be nothing wrong with the scenario you're describing.
Original post by Viceroy
I don't think he was trying to patronize; he was asking why that wouldn't be possible, given that there really seems to be nothing wrong with the scenario you're describing.

Because Economics and Politics is joint honours rather than single, won't it be harder to do an master's in just economics? I've heard that some employers see joint honours degrees as lacking in depth.
Reply 1843
Because Economics and Politics is joint honours rather than single, won't it be harder to do an master's in just economics? I've heard that some employers see joint honours degrees as lacking in depth.

Rather than accusing posters of being patronising when they weren't, perhaps a good starting point would be to actually look at the info page for Oxford's MPhil Economics to see what the entry requirements are.

Sorry if it was perceived as patronising, as Viceroy correctly stated, I was just confused as to why it wouldn't be an appropriate degree - as Economics is a large part of your undergrad degree. In fact, I'm sure there have been applicants without any Economics - maybe they've come from Maths. Anyway, I'm not sure that joint honours is lacking in depth, as University of Oxford is an academic institution rather than an employer, so as long as you have the prerequisites they need, and you can convince them you're a good candidate, there's no reason why it wouldn't be possible. But if you're truly worried then email the admissions tutor, only they can give you a guaranteed answer.
Original post by sj27
Rather than accusing posters of being patronising when they weren't, perhaps a good starting point would be to actually look at the info page for Oxford's MPhil Economics to see what the entry requirements are.

I have looked, it's quite vague. So I came here because I thought people would know a bit more about it.
Original post by punctuation
Sorry if it was perceived as patronising, as Viceroy correctly stated, I was just confused as to why it wouldn't be an appropriate degree - as Economics is a large part of your undergrad degree. In fact, I'm sure there have been applicants without any Economics - maybe they've come from Maths. Anyway, I'm not sure that joint honours is lacking in depth, as University of Oxford is an academic institution rather than an employer, so as long as you have the prerequisites they need, and you can convince them you're a good candidate, there's no reason why it wouldn't be possible. But if you're truly worried then email the admissions tutor, only they can give you a guaranteed answer.

Thanks for answering my question, it only took you two attempts! :smile:

And who is patronising now...? :rolleyes:

Well the answer was so obvious, I thought you'd figure it out for yourself in between the first and second post :smile:
Reply 1849
:facepalm: re patronising etc.... Sheesh

Also, I'm not really sure how this is vague, other than maybe needing to contact the department to see if politics is "approved". You presumably know whether or not your undergrad has been quantitative better than we do. http://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/materials/degrees/12693/Economics_Mphil_Criteria.pdf
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi guys, I have a bit of an odd question. Having completed my BA (Hons) philosophy at Anglia Ruskin and obtaining a 2:1 at 66% I am now at UCL undertaking an MA in US Studies: History and Politics and am looking to completing an MPhil before embarking on a PhD. I am interested in the new American History MPhil at Cambridge but as my undergrad result is 1% below their entry requirements for undergrad qualifications do you think my MA could compensate for this or do you reckon it's a lost cause?
Original post by LittlePlato
Hi guys, I have a bit of an odd question. Having completed my BA (Hons) philosophy at Anglia Ruskin and obtaining a 2:1 at 66% I am now at UCL undertaking an MA in US Studies: History and Politics and am looking to completing an MPhil before embarking on a PhD. I am interested in the new American History MPhil at Cambridge but as my undergrad result is 1% below their entry requirements for undergrad qualifications do you think my MA could compensate for this or do you reckon it's a lost cause?

Why don't you apply for the PhD? The MPhil is meant to prepare you for research at a PhD level, which is what the MA is doing. You'd have to get a distinction for your MA though, if you want your master's qualification to compensate for your undergrad marks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iceflyier
Why don't you apply for the PhD? The MPhil is meant to prepare you for research at a PhD level, which is what the MA is doing. You'd have to get a distinction for your MA though, if you want your master's qualification to compensate for your undergrad marks.

Hi, thanks for your input :smile: I'm looking at doing the mphil because what I would like to research at phd is much more history based than what my current course is offering (if that makes sense?) and as my BA is in philosophy I would feel more confident moving on to phd level with more work in history under my belt. I can potentially apply straight to the phd but it just depends on how my background is viewed by potential departments in terms of obtaining funding etc.
Hi, thanks for your input :smile: I'm looking at doing the mphil because what I would like to research at phd is much more history based than what my current course is offering (if that makes sense?) and as my BA is in philosophy I would feel more confident moving on to phd level with more work in history under my belt. I can potentially apply straight to the phd but it just depends on how my background is viewed by potential departments in terms of obtaining funding etc.

I was going to echo the same sentiments as the previous user in that as you are already working on an MA in a related field, admissions tutors might question why you would want to do another master's particularly if you gain strong marks and therefore have a stronge case for PhD (subject to a decent proposal etc).

Best advice would be to write to the admissions tutor/course director and ask them whether they think you should apply for the MPhil or the PhD
Reply 1854

Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
I was going to echo the same sentiments as the previous user in that as you are already working on an MA in a related field, admissions tutors might question why you would want to do another master's particularly if you gain strong marks and therefore have a stronge case for PhD (subject to a decent proposal etc).

Best advice would be to write to the admissions tutor/course director and ask them whether they think you should apply for the MPhil or the PhD

Also bear in mind that if a Cam department thinks a student has potential for a PhD but is not ready for one yet, they may decline to give a PhD offer but at the same time make an offer for the MPhil (even though it wasn't applied for). A few such cases have been reported on the forums.
Original post by sj27
Also bear in mind that if a Cam department thinks a student has potential for a PhD but is not ready for one yet, they may decline to give a PhD offer but at the same time make an offer for the MPhil (even though it wasn't applied for). A few such cases have been reported on the forums.

That's true but as you say can be rare but I still think it's best for the OP to make enquiries to that effect as where some departments would be helpful enough to indicate such a possibility, others won't.

But yes email the department and enquiry about your suitability first OP then decide how you want to proceed. I would suspect that as you are on course for the required marks in your MSc/MA etc then you may well be ideally placed to apply for the PhD.

Also start investigating potential supervisors.....
Original post by sj27

This is definitely true. My supervisor remarked at one point that he'd interviewed someone for the PhD and admitted the student for the MPhil instead because they decided the guy wasn't ready for the PhD yet.
Original post by Viceroy
This is definitely true. My supervisor remarked at one point that he'd interviewed someone for the PhD and admitted the student for the MPhil instead because they decided the guy wasn't ready for the PhD yet.

That's interesting. Do you mind me asking which subject you're doing? I'm just curious if it's different for humanities and sciences. I think I read about an applicant for the PhD in Education who ended up getting an offer for the MPhil instead, so like you said it does happen.
Original post by iceflyier
That's interesting. Do you mind me asking which subject you're doing? I'm just curious if it's different for humanities and sciences. I think I read about an applicant for the PhD in Education who ended up getting an offer for the MPhil instead, so like you said it does happen.

I read history at St John's. Might be more of a humanities thing than a science thing!
Reply 1859
Original post by Viceroy
I read history at St John's. Might be more of a humanities thing than a science thing!

I'm pretty sure I've seen it for sciences too, although as 1+3 PhD programs gain popularity that may be moot anyway.

Also (re GG post) not sure how rare it is - I did not say it was rare - I said a few cases have been reported on the forums. Considering that the forums seem to represent quite a small percentage of grad applicants it may not be particularly rare. I agree that contacting the department to ask what to apply for is reasonable advice , but it would also not be surprising if the dept said they could not give advice in advance of seeing the full application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending