The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Is there an order to the way Bristol invite applicants for interview? Like highest grades first, alphabetically, personal statement etc.?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3541
Original post by WannaBeVet2015
Is there an order to the way Bristol invite applicants for interview? Like highest grades first, alphabetically, personal statement etc.?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't believe there is ...

On their homepage it says they aim to get through the applications within 5 weeks ...

Maybe they just haven't seen our applications yet :wink:

Has anyone heard from Bristol this week?
Original post by AmberEyes
Just wondering - what does everyone think the vet schools (esp Bristol :P) are looking for most at interview? Obviously they'd love it if you were perfect, but are they looking most for confidence, knowledge, being able to discuss issues and learn, having learnt a lot about conditions etc from work ex? I'm slightly stressing about my interview because the work just seems infinite - how much knowledge have you all got from work experience about specific diseases and stuff?

They are not looking for any one thing, but rather a combination of things. You may end up talking about a range of topics from problem solving (how you can apply your knowledge), ethical scenarios to work experience or expanding on things you've written in your PS. Yes, you ought to read up on things and expand your knowledge but you don't need to know nitty gritty details of everything you saw. Read up on anything you have put on your PS, COMMON procedures/conditions (e.g. mastitis/lameness in a dairy herd), plus any interesting cases you saw on work exp, and topical issues in the news. Think of obvious qs such as ' why do you want to be a vet?' 'why did you apply to us?'

My second best piece of advise is NEVER to bull**** - if you have no idea then say so, and if you can hazard a guess you can also say so e.g. 'I am not sure if this is correct but from my knowledge I would imagine that ....... '. And think a few seconds before answering - ie formulate/think about your answer.

The other thing is to manage stress and anxiety - for me this was listening to my fave songs before hand - whatever works best for you!
Original post by SilverstarDJ

Thanks, I guess I just don't know where to draw the line with preparation, there are so many common diseases!
Yeah, I think relaxing is the biggest issue, I'm kind of awful with interview techniques because I get nervous :/
Reply 3544
Original post by AmberEyes
Just wondering - what does everyone think the vet schools (esp Bristol :P) are looking for most at interview? Obviously they'd love it if you were perfect, but are they looking most for confidence, knowledge, being able to discuss issues and learn, having learnt a lot about conditions etc from work ex? I'm slightly stressing about my interview because the work just seems infinite - how much knowledge have you all got from work experience about specific diseases and stuff?

The Bristol interview is very PS and WE based. Know everything about what you have written in your PS, in depth. There are a few unpredictable questions (eg. what are the dangers of eating meat) but they probe to see you have done some reading around your subject. Make eye contact, give sensible answers and know your stuff and the 20 minute interview will go fine
Do prepare for the MMI tables and practice scenarios and dosage calculations. Don't let anybody say you cant practise for them, you can

RVC is very different but you didn't ask about that
Original post by D of T
The Bristol interview is very PS and WE based. Know everything about what you have written in your PS, in depth. There are a few unpredictable questions (eg. what are the dangers of eating meat) but they probe to see you have done some reading around your subject. Make eye contact, give sensible answers and know your stuff and the 20 minute interview will go fine
Do prepare for the MMI tables and practice scenarios and dosage calculations. Don't let anybody say you cant practise for them, you can

RVC is very different but you didn't ask about that

How would you recommend preparing for MMI, practice scenarios and dosage calculations? And please could you explain how RVC is different? Thanks :smile:
Reply 3546
Original post by Georgie14
How would you recommend preparing for MMI, practice scenarios and dosage calculations? And please could you explain how RVC is different? Thanks :smile:

Hi Georgie, You'll understand I cant tell you actual questions that were asked. Bristol tells you about the MMI tables on their website, sometimes needs a bit of searching

For the scenario with a communication expert you can practice with your parents or a teacher. This is usually communicating bad news
Sample questions are available on medical MMI websites (search google) ; you can adapt them for vet medicine. For example, you come home, witness your neighbour's dog being hit by a car but not seriously injured then taken to a vet and you have to tell your neighbour about this when she returns home. (on the medical mmi site it was the neighbours boy being hit by the car)

For the problem solving scenario it is likely to involve an animal in a difficult situation but may not involve vet med knowledge, more common sense. Its about being logical and doing things in steps and communicating those steps and getting appropriate help. eg a cat is stuck up a tree: explain how you get it down

For the practical task again look at mmi websites. There are only certain things they can ask you to do in 4 minutes that can be easily measured

The calculation often involves drug doses given orally or IV but really is a test of basic numeracy. This may involve (say) converting pounds to kilos then working out a total dose over the (say) 5 day course then, given the size of the available tablets, working out how many tablets to dispense. Or it can involve an IV infusion. Get your biology teacher to devise some problems for you or a parent or failing that write them yourself. Again some websites give examples. So many people reported making basic mistakes under presssure and the maths isnt even gcse level

Practise these under timed conditions, for Bristol I think its only 4 minutes

Cant fit in RVC here; havent got time now. On the day you get the interview invitation (late November) you get told about 6-7 areas to prepare and you only have 11-18 days to prepare these areas, think of likely questions and practice answering them to parents/teachers/friends. You may need to sacrifice your schoolwork a bit during that time. They are really broad things like the 'place of animals in society', needs a lot of thought to work out what they mean
Look at the rvc website and how they select people for BVetMed. Much of their mmi is about testing for 'non-academic attributes' but they also ask about WE and topical vet issues (eg rabies, bTB) which you need to know for any vet interview

Hope this helps a little bit. Use your parents and teachers to help. If you know vets they might agree to help but they are usually unbelievably busy!
Hey everyone, I'm Joe, from Yorkshire, applying to, Liverpool, Nottingham, Surrey and Bristol.
My work ex includes: 2 years every Saturday at a small animal
9 months every Saturday at large animal.
5 years, milking, calving, lambing, general farm Up keep.
Have my own horse but worked throughout the summer holidays 2011,2012 and 2013.
Currently have my own sheep, and milk at a local farm
1 week at a separate small animal
1 week at an exotics unit
Also did vet med-link 2013
Any questions just ask
cheers guys and girls :smile:
Reply 3548
Original post by Georgie14

Hey Georgie, I found this site that looks pretty handy - a lot of them are probably more complicated than what we'll be given but I think it'll be of the same sort of thing..ish..! http://www.vspn.org/Library/Misc/VSPN_M02372.htm
When have you booked yours for? I'm so nervous!!! x

Posted from TSR Mobile
When do Nottingham start to invite people to interview??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bigmacojacko
Hey everyone, I'm Joe, from Yorkshire, applying to, Liverpool, Nottingham, Surrey and Bristol.
Any questions just ask

GIs' a job!
Original post by D of T
Hi Georgie, You'll understand I cant tell you actual questions that were asked. Bristol tells you about the MMI tables on their website, sometimes needs a bit of searching

For the scenario with a communication expert you can practice with your parents or a teacher. This is usually communicating bad news
Sample questions are available on medical MMI websites (search google) ; you can adapt them for vet medicine. For example, you come home, witness your neighbour's dog being hit by a car but not seriously injured then taken to a vet and you have to tell your neighbour about this when she returns home. (on the medical mmi site it was the neighbours boy being hit by the car)

For the problem solving scenario it is likely to involve an animal in a difficult situation but may not involve vet med knowledge, more common sense. Its about being logical and doing things in steps and communicating those steps and getting appropriate help. eg a cat is stuck up a tree: explain how you get it down

For the practical task again look at mmi websites. There are only certain things they can ask you to do in 4 minutes that can be easily measured

The calculation often involves drug doses given orally or IV but really is a test of basic numeracy. This may involve (say) converting pounds to kilos then working out a total dose over the (say) 5 day course then, given the size of the available tablets, working out how many tablets to dispense. Or it can involve an IV infusion. Get your biology teacher to devise some problems for you or a parent or failing that write them yourself. Again some websites give examples. So many people reported making basic mistakes under presssure and the maths isnt even gcse level

Practise these under timed conditions, for Bristol I think its only 4 minutes

Cant fit in RVC here; havent got time now. On the day you get the interview invitation (late November) you get told about 6-7 areas to prepare and you only have 11-18 days to prepare these areas, think of likely questions and practice answering them to parents/teachers/friends. You may need to sacrifice your schoolwork a bit during that time. They are really broad things like the 'place of animals in society', needs a lot of thought to work out what they mean
Look at the rvc website and how they select people for BVetMed. Much of their mmi is about testing for 'non-academic attributes' but they also ask about WE and topical vet issues (eg rabies, bTB) which you need to know for any vet interview

Hope this helps a little bit. Use your parents and teachers to help. If you know vets they might agree to help but they are usually unbelievably busy!

Thank you very much for your help!
Original post by bigmacojacko
Any questions just ask

Welcome to the thread :smile: I was at Vetlink too, what hall were you in?
I really don't know what to put as my 5th choice. Not really interested in animal science / biovet. :frown:
Hi all.
New to the student room. I applied to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Nottingham. Anyone else apply to any of these? If so, have you heard back from any of them? Also, out of curiosity, to anyone who applied to other universities, which ones and why? And have you heard anything back?
Cheers.
Original post by SteveJB
Hi all.
New to the student room. I applied to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Nottingham. Anyone else apply to any of these? If so, have you heard back from any of them? Also, out of curiosity, to anyone who applied to other universities, which ones and why? And have you heard anything back?
Cheers.

I applied to all 3 of those places last year - any questions about applications feel free to ask :smile: (I'm Scottish btw if that's of any use)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by chaarlotte
I applied to all 3 of those places last year - any questions about applications feel free to ask :smile: (I'm Scottish btw if that's of any use)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello there! Nice to hear that Scottish students are still getting places! :wink: I presume you got into one of them? But which ones did you get interviews for and when did you hear from them?
Original post by alwaysalex
I really don't know what to put as my 5th choice. Not really interested in animal science / biovet. :frown:

I put zoology because biology is my favorite science and its that with less of the plants! You don't have to put a choice, I mean I did mine because I wanted the option to be there but at the moment I feel like I'd take a gap year if I didn't get in anyway...
Original post by SteveJB
Hello there! Nice to hear that Scottish students are still getting places! :wink: I presume you got into one of them? But which ones did you get interviews for and when did you hear from them?

Haha yeah we're still here ! Yep currently in first year at Glasgow :smile: I got interviews at all 3 - for Glasgow I heard back mid November for an interview in December, Nottingham mid December for an interview in feb and Edinburgh mid feb for an interview in march :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chaarlotte
Haha yeah we're still here ! Yep currently in first year at Glasgow :smile: I got interviews at all 3 - for Glasgow I heard back mid November for an interview in December, Nottingham mid December for an interview in feb and Edinburgh mid feb for an interview in march :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Excellent! That would be my first choice so will hopefully be in your position this time next year! Ah, so with a spot of luck I could hear back soon... Well if they likes my application that it haha. What did you find the interviews for each like? I know Glasgow is known to be really friendly and Edinburgh is notoriously challenging, but how did you find them and how was Nottingham?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending