The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Fed looks sharp out there. Great return game to break.
A breadstick delivered to Ranoic from the Fed Express. Nice.
This is clinical, very clinical.
Fed really took his foot off the pedal in the 2nd set. It wasn't a great swerving performance from him. Twice he had to save BPs after being 40 love up but a disastrous tiebreak from Raonic sealed the match from him in straight sets which is a good thing as he shouldn't be spending much time on court at 33.
Complete ownage by Fed in the first set, good tie-break in the second set. He had to be more alert on his serve though.
Reply 2445
If anyones got tickets but can't make it and looking to sell let me know
Berdych doesn't deserve to be at WTF after today's performance.
3 out of 3 predictions right so far, i'm on fire.
Tomas Birds*** before his match against Stan: “It’s a tough draw,” said Berdych, at a press conference on Friday. “There are Grand Slam champions in my group, so it is not an easy one. Having Novak in the group, pretty much means one spot is already taken and we’re going to fight for the other spot. I am going to focus on my first match and try to go for it.”
Unbelievable that a Top 10 player has such a defeatist attitude, and it showed today. Wawrinka was on and totally outclassed him. He'll probably end up being the punching bag for Group A.
So many mugs in WTF this year. There hasn't been a single good quality match so far. Where the hell was this Cilic in the US Open SF? Players like Ferrer deserved to be at WTF more. At least he would have put up more of a fight than Cilic and Birdcrap have so far.
Original post by Badshah
So many mugs in WTF this year. There hasn't been a single good quality match so far. Where the hell was this Cilic in the US Open SF? Players like Ferrer deserved to be at WTF more. At least he would have put up more of a fight than Cilic and Birdcrap have so far.

Absolutely - couldn't agree more. I would have preferred Ferrer and Dimitrov in place of Cilic and Big Bird.
First set of RR matches have shown how huge the gulf is between the Top 4 seeds and the Seeds 5-8, especially mentally. With the exception of Kei, the newcomers haven't dealt with the pressure that well at all.
Even Nadal would have done something here. The tournament's already entering its 3rd day and the atmosphere is still flat. Maybe Fed vs Nishikori and Murray vs Raonic will produce some 3 set thrillers for the crowd, because Group A will probably be all about Novak (and possibly Stan) wrecking the competition.
Original post by Krish4791
Absolutely - couldn't agree more. I would have preferred Ferrer and Dimitrov in place of Cilic and Big Bird.
First set of RR matches have shown how huge the gulf is between the Top 4 seeds and the Seeds 5-8, especially mentally. With the exception of Kei, the newcomers haven't dealt with the pressure that well at all.

The slower conditions are also to blame for the poor starts of the new comers. Guys like Cilic and Raonic rely on their serve and flat ground strokes but on this court they struggle to hit though the incredible defences of Novak and Roger which is why they have struggled so far. The ATP should really think about speeding up the courts a little bit. Indoors should never be this slow.
Original post by Badshah
The slower conditions are also to blame for the poor starts of the new comers. Guys like Cilic and Raonic rely on their serve and flat ground strokes but on this court they struggle to hit though the incredible defences of Novak and Roger which is why they have struggled so far. The ATP should really think about speeding up the courts a little bit. Indoors should never be this slow.

They should consider that, but they probably won't. The claim is that the slowing down of the courts is to compensate for racket technology advances which have increased racket power, head speed and control (which I don't agree with tbh).
What we all want to see is something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm_wClDQoa0

or this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iC-6dmTDRU

(man, I miss those type of courts!)
Original post by Krish4791
They should consider that, but they probably won't. The claim is that the slowing down of the courts is to compensate for racket technology advances which have increased racket power, head speed and control (which I don't agree with tbh).
What we all want to see is something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm_wClDQoa0

or this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iC-6dmTDRU

(man, I miss those type of courts!)

Good old days man. I doubt the courts will this fast again but at least they should be medium. Shanghai this year was perfect imo. It wasn't particularly fast, neither was it slow. Hard courts should at least be at that pace. As much as I love Sampras, he was probably the reason why they started to slow down the courts.
Easy victory for Fed. Federer wasn't anything special. He made too many errors from the BH wing but his level of play was good enough for Kei who was also quite poor.
I'm expecting a 3 set match for the Djokovic Wawrinka match anything less will be a disappointment. Same for Raonic Murray, we need a real dog fight out there all the matches have been way too straightforward so far
6 out of 6 predictions so far..
Original post by hskjlclcn
6 out of 6 predictions so far..

What are your predictions for Cilic vs Berdych and Djokovic vs Wawrinka?
Novak & Birdy
Original post by lizzy95
What are your predictions for Cilic vs Berdych and Djokovic vs Wawrinka?

Quick Reply

Latest