The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Master219
Anyone applied and got an interview from St Catharines yet? (got my invitation like yesterday just after doing bmat which i feel i did horrible in, btw) Anyways:
GCSE: 7A* 3A
AS: Phys - 89%
chem - 89%
Maths - 94%
bio - 97%
avg of 92.25%... dont think its gd enough tbh
Predicted: 4A*
Anyone else in a similar situation to me with the AS UMS jazz?

:eek: I have a very similar situation! Similar UMS doubts, and got an interview an hour after BMAT... Do they usually give out interviews so early?? I'm applying to St Catharines Med too, just to clarify :smile:
Could anyone give me any help/advice about preparing for science questions at interview? I have an interview for A101 at Cambridge, I'm an arts grad and taught myself A Level Bio and Chem last year so I'm pretty sure I'll have difficulties with these sorts of questions. Are there any resources anywhere that people are using? Thank you :smile:
Original post by ApitheBee
:eek: I have a very similar situation! Similar UMS doubts, and got an interview an hour after BMAT... Do they usually give out interviews so early?? I'm applying to St Catharines Med too, just to clarify :smile:

No way! yh i got an interview about an hr after bmat too. I asked them at the beginning of the week how long a notice they giv students who r invited for interview and they said: We hope to have all invitations to interview sent by the end of this week (i.e. end of the BMAT week). So i would assume so. What day is ur interview (mines 9th december...)? what was ur avg ums? what did u think of the bmat? How r u preparing for the interview? Sorry for soo many qs lol... :frown:
Mine is the day after! Two interviews: first being "general" (Dr Dalley and Maziniak) and the second being "scientific" (Dr Morrell and Godfrey). My average was around 94 (highest in Bio too!), and since they've admitted us into interview, then I think we are in the clear, however we have to ace our other two application aspects (BMAT and interview) if we want to stand a chance against the other 40 or so people in our position. I come from a state school wbu? The BMAT was ok... for a BMAT, I really can't tell how I did, Master219, so the BMAT results Day is really nerve-wracking. For the interview, I am actually clued up, but I'm looking over my personal statement because I think the first interview is going to pick me out on the things I mentioned in it, but has your school mentioned any way to prepare for the interview?

Best wishes,
Api
Mine is the day after! Two interviews: first being "general" (Dr Dalley and Maziniak) and the second being "scientific" (Dr Morrell and Godfrey). My average was around 94 (highest in Bio too!), and since they've admitted us into interview, then I think we are in the clear, however we have to ace our other two application aspects (BMAT and interview) if we want to stand a chance against the other 40 or so people in our position. I come from a state school wbu? The BMAT was ok... for a BMAT, I really can't tell how I did, Master219, so the BMAT results Day is really nerve-wracking. For the interview, I am actually clued up, but I'm looking over my personal statement because I think the first interview is going to pick me out on the things I mentioned in it, but has your school mentioned any way to prepare for the interview?

Best wishes,
Api

Ur UMS should b fine! Its pretty high, ur like just below avg for most colleges...
Im actually in a private skl in dubai (applying as home status tho, got evidence so hopefully...) i agree, its hard to tell with the BMAT tbh
my skl hasnt rlly said anything but the personal statement and learning science theory i think would get us quite far and there r only like 10/11 places so itll be tough.
My interviewers r the same!
Gd luck!
Ur UMS should b fine! Its pretty high, ur like just below avg for most colleges...
Im actually in a private skl in dubai (applying as home status tho, got evidence so hopefully...) i agree, its hard to tell with the BMAT tbh
my skl hasnt rlly said anything but the personal statement and learning science theory i think would get us quite far and there r only like 10/11 places so itll be tough.
My interviewers r the same!
Gd luck!

You come from a private school in Dubai :eek:... with 92.5 UMS...:biggrin: anyway...
gd luck!
All of these were medicine applicants and this candidate applied to Fitzwilliam College. I actually applied as open and got assigned to St Catharines College, got an interview so quite chuffed tbh. But anyways gd luck in your AS's, Im sure ull be fine.

Thanks, good luck with the interview!

Best wishes,
Api

Api..... Wait. Api?! No! REALLY??
You come from a private school in Dubai :eek:... with 92.5 UMS...:biggrin: anyway...
gd luck!

Lol, R u surprised in a gd way or a bad way...? Like priv skls in dubai r supposed to be gd and uve done not so well or priv skls in Dubai r crap and uve done well? Haha dw, won't b offended
Reply 229
Do you guys think that a low BMAT score (low 5s and about a 3 B/A), can be looked over if your UMS average is high (e.g. 97%)? Obviously I don't know my BMAT results but I don't know how important the BMAT is in selecting applicants for interview.
For the colleges that invite people after receiving their BMAT results, do they then use their BMAT results to make offers or will it be based on interview from them on?
Original post by a123a
Do you guys think that a low BMAT score (low 5s and about a 3 B/A), can be looked over if your UMS average is high (e.g. 97%)? Obviously I don't know my BMAT results but I don't know how important the BMAT is in selecting applicants for interview.
For the colleges that invite people after receiving their BMAT results, do they then use their BMAT results to make offers or will it be based on interview from them on?

I guess it depends upon college but this is wt downing college said:
As a record of academic achievement over a number of public examinations, UMS percentages at AS Level are a very important element of a candidate’s application, and very strong UMS performance may make up for slightly less stellar performance in the BMAT. However, each candidate is assessed holistically using a combination of their exam results, performance at interview, personal statement, school/college reference, contextual data etc before a decision is made.

st johns college said:
Our assessment of a candidate’s academic potential will be based on a combination of past examination results, BMAT results, and the confidential report from their school, as well as the interview. We aim to interview 65 candidates and use the BMAT results to aid our selection. The main purpose of the interviews is to help us to set this information in perspective and to find out more about a candidate’s motivation and aptitude for the Cambridge course and profession.

Do tbh i think the UMS should pay off, but do remember the interview would play quite a big role as well...
Also i applied to st catharines and they have already sent me an interview (i think they hav sent off all their invitations) so mayb after interview they just check all aspects and decide.
Reply 231
I guess it depends upon college but this is wt downing college said:
As a record of academic achievement over a number of public examinations, UMS percentages at AS Level are a very important element of a candidate’s application, and very strong UMS performance may make up for slightly less stellar performance in the BMAT. However, each candidate is assessed holistically using a combination of their exam results, performance at interview, personal statement, school/college reference, contextual data etc before a decision is made.

st johns college said:
Our assessment of a candidate’s academic potential will be based on a combination of past examination results, BMAT results, and the confidential report from their school, as well as the interview. We aim to interview 65 candidates and use the BMAT results to aid our selection. The main purpose of the interviews is to help us to set this information in perspective and to find out more about a candidate’s motivation and aptitude for the Cambridge course and profession.

Do tbh i think the UMS should pay off, but do remember the interview would play quite a big role as well...
Also i applied to st catharines and they have already sent me an interview (i think they hav sent off all their invitations) so mayb after interview they just check all aspects and decide.

Thank you very much for this information :smile:
Yes, hopefully I can get an interview! I guess if they give me an interview after seeing my BMAT results, I should be in a good position!
Congrats on the interview!
All interviews are in December aren't they? So if I do (hopefully), receive an interview it'll basically be December already!
65? Wow that's a bit lower than expected! Last year about 117 people applied to St John's and they normally say 80% are interviewed. I probably won't even get an interview :frown:
Hey

Anyone know of good places to stay in Cambridge overnight? (for my interview- dont worry I am a graduate so they have started giving out iinterviews but only grads now)

Reasonable priced hotels

I did my search but any recommendations much appreciated

cheers
I thought you can stay at your college for the night prior to the interview, am I wrong?
Original post by a123a
Yes, hopefully I can get an interview! I guess if they give me an interview after seeing my BMAT results, I should be in a good position!
All interviews are in December aren't they? So if I do (hopefully), receive an interview it'll basically be December already!
65? Wow that's a bit lower than expected! Last year about 117 people applied to St John's and they normally say 80% are interviewed. I probably won't even get an interview :frown:

You are a strong applicant and you will get an interview. Unlike me with my poor bmat :frown:
Original post by piofernix
I thought you can stay at your college for the night prior to the interview, am I wrong?

where does it say that? plz
That's what I heard during open days, after quick search in google, I found this on Kings College page: We offer free accommodation to candidates who cannot come for interview and return comfortably in the same day, either because of their interview and test schedule, or because of their travel arrangements and where they live. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer accommodation to parents or others who accompany candidates. We provide free meals for all candidates while they are at King's.

http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/faqs.html

I am sure other colleges follow the same policy.
Original post by a123a

Thanks.
yh all interviews are in first three weeks of December, varies from college to college wt the set dates or weeks are but generally yh.
u can actually check the number that applied to each college for diff courses, got offers etc on this website:

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/

dw lol u guys will get an interview, I mean I only got avg 92.5%UMS!!!! Ur ones are like high 90's so trust lol. They said they deselect ppl for interview if they hav below 90%UMS in general so....
Posting on behalf of a friend -

CIE IGCSE: 12A*
Pre-U: D1, D2. D2, D1 in Maths, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry
Not sure what Pre-U equivalent to UMS marks is but I'm assuming she got pretty high marks!!!
She has tons of work experience: volunteering at hospices, shadowing doctors, attending summer schools etc.
Applying to St John's.
Original post by piofernix
That's what I heard during open days, after quick search in google, I found this on Kings College page: We offer free accommodation to candidates who cannot come for interview and return comfortably in the same day, either because of their interview and test schedule, or because of their travel arrangements and where they live. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer accommodation to parents or others who accompany candidates. We provide free meals for all candidates while they are at King's.

http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/faqs.html

I am sure other colleges follow the same policy.

Really? that would be great! am applying to Lucy Cav but cannt seem to find any information regarding this, i will be coming from scotland so i will need to stay over night but the hotels near Addenbrookes hospital are quiet dear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending