The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TCO
There must be an internal scoring system assessing: GCSE, AS level, Achieved or Predicted A2 grades, Personal statement, ukcat apparently only used to differentiate between applicants who have similar scores, and then the top X of all applicants get selected for interview, which will then be filtered down further I'm guessing

Nope, BM6 look at personal statement and reference, once you've met the minimum academic criteria and eligibility criteria there is no discrimination against someone who has 5 B's at GCSE or someone with 5 A*'s at GCSE, similarly someone with BBC predicted will not be disadvantaged over someone with AAA predictions.
It is just purely down to your personal statement and reference to be honest is what I gather from previous TSR BM6 threads.
UKCAT is only looked at to compare between two very similar candidates where it is too close to call who should get an offer or not.
Original post by Female Gunner
Hey guys! I read somewhere that over 500 people applied for the BM6 course this year. If they take everything into consideration, how do they select the people they invite to interviews? Especially if everyone who applied is more or less in the same situation in terms of bursary, income ect ect.

i think its just down to personal statement to be honest. They do mention in their email that submission of the eligibility criteria does not guarantee you a place at the selection day and that they do not interview all applicants. They first select a number of applicants for a selection day and then out of those who performed well they choose to invite for the actual panel interview I believe.
Don't quote me on that :colondollar:

And an update is that Southampton will now award the BMBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) degree and the BMedSci, rather than the previous BM (Bachelor of Medicine) degree. Oooh this reminds me of Nottingham medicine graduates. :beard:
Original post by Hamzah Amir Khan
i think its just down to personal statement to be honest. They do mention in their email that submission of the eligibility criteria does not guarantee you a place at the selection day and that they do not interview all applicants. They first select a number of applicants for a selection day and then out of those who performed well they choose to invite for the actual panel interview I believe.

And an update is that Southampton will now award the BMBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) degree and the BMedSci, rather than the previous BM (Bachelor of Medicine) degree. Oooh this reminds me of Nottingham medicine graduates. :beard:

2 interviews! So i have to come down to Southampton twice by train- money does not grow in trees!
Original post by alanconnel
2 interviews! So i have to come down to Southampton twice by train- money does not grow in trees!

I'm sure they reimburse travel costs, someone please correct me if I am wrong
Just checked online the selection day will include a group task and a panel interview. So in essence the selection day is the interview. Phew :smile:

Just checked online the selection day will include a group task and a panel interview. So in essence the selection day is the interview. Phew
Just checked online the selection day will include a group task and a panel interview. So in essence the selection day is the interview. Phew

Phew what a relief.
Its all about praying now hopeing for an interview. :smile:
Original post by mangomango
Hiya. Any ex applicants or students....I just want to know if the selection day and interview is the same day/thing?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am a BM6 student :yes:. Yep, all on the same day. Choice of 2 dates by the looks of things

Hey guys! I read somewhere that over 500 people applied for the BM6 course this year. If they take everything into consideration, how do they select the people they invite to interviews? Especially if everyone who applied is more or less in the same situation in terms of bursary, income ect ect.

First they check you meet all the requirements - GCSE, A level, Eligibility.

Then they judge your personal statement on the 3 non-academic criteria. You get up to 5 marks for each section. Interviews are given based on this score.

Original post by TCO
There must be an internal scoring system assessing: GCSE, AS level, Achieved or Predicted A2 grades, Personal statement, ukcat apparently only used to differentiate between applicants who have similar scores, and then the top X of all applicants get selected for interview, which will then be filtered down further I'm guessing

See above :yes:.

Nope, BM6 look at personal statement and reference, once you've met the minimum academic criteria and eligibility criteria there is no discrimination against someone who has 5 B's at GCSE or someone with 5 A*'s at GCSE, similarly someone with BBC predicted will not be disadvantaged over someone with AAA predictions.
It is just purely down to your personal statement and reference to be honest is what I gather from previous TSR BM6 threads.
UKCAT is only looked at to compare between two very similar candidates where it is too close to call who should get an offer or not.

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Not quite. The selection day IS the interview. There aren't two different days :nah:.

They reimburse £100 of travel fees (not overnight stays) and it is only 1 day :yes:

:yes: up to £100.
Original post by Neostigmine
I am a BM6 student :yes:. Yep, all on the same day. Choice of 2 dates by the looks of things

Then they judge your personal statement on the 3 non-academic criteria. You get up to 5 marks for each section. Interviews are given based on this score.

Not quite. The selection day IS the interview. There aren't two different days :nah:.

They reimburse £100 of travel fees (not overnight stays) and it is only 1 day :yes:

Thanks for clearing things up Bethaney!
Original post by TCO

Oh! Thanks for clearing that up! :smile:

Thanks for clearing that up for me! It's good to know we don't have to travel down to Southampton twice :biggrin:
Original post by Neostigmine

Thank you so much for the information!:u:
Who went to the Southampton open day? What did you like most about the Uni and the BM6 course? The student support there sounds really good! And if you don't mind me asking, what were your 5th choices? :colondollar:
Who went to the Southampton open day? What did you like most about the Uni and the BM6 course? The student support there sounds really good! And if you don't mind me asking, what were your 5th choices? :colondollar:

No didn't go open day. Biological science :smile:
Reply 335
UCL biomedical sciences 😁
Original post by games211
No didn't go open day. Biological science :smile:

Cool! At which uni?
Original post by M!lad
UCL biomedical sciences ������

Ah! UCL is amazing! What are the entry requirements?
Reply 338
Ah! UCL is amazing! What are the entry requirements?

Yhh I don't live too far from it either :smile: and it's AAA, where did you apply for your backup?
Original post by M!lad
Yhh I don't live too far from it either :smile: and it's AAA, where did you apply for your backup?

Yeah same! I just have to take 29 from my house. I did work experience there too! I absolutely love UCL, but I didn't apply :frown: And I applied to Leicester for Medical Biochemistry! Have you heard from UCL yet?

Latest

Trending

Trending