The Student Room Group

Personal statements for a foundation year

Hey just a quick question about writing my personal statement. I want to apply for Chemical Engineering with a foundation year course. Most of the courses I am applying for are "Chemical Engineering with a foundation year" but two of them are "Engineering with a foundation year".
The question is, do I write my personal statement for Chemical Engineering, which is what I will ultimately do after the foundation year, or do I write my personal statement for the foundation year?
You write the PS for the course you are applying for :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by *Interrobang*
You write the PS for the course you are applying for :smile:

So for Chemical Engineering or the foundation year because it's sort of both.
Original post by J_T_
So for Chemical Engineering or the foundation year because it's sort of both.

For the course you ultimately want to do
Reply 4
Original post by *Interrobang*
For the course you ultimately want to do

Okay thank you.
Reply 5
Which universities are you applying for?
Reply 6
Original post by usizahid
Which universities are you applying for?

Probably Loughborough or Manchester first choice. Others are Nottingham, Newcastle and Sheffield. Why?
Reply 7
Original post by J_T_
Probably Loughborough or Manchester first choice. Others are Nottingham, Newcastle and Sheffield. Why?

Just curious :smile:, I'm going to be applying for a foundation year in ChemEng aswell, but i still havn't fully decided some of my uni choices.
Reply 8
Just curious :smile:, I'm going to be applying for a foundation year in ChemEng aswell, but i still havn't fully decided some of my uni choices.

Cool. I didn't think it was a very popular choice. Where are you applying for and have you sent everything off yet? I'm still on my personal statement but I'm planning to finalise everything next week.
Reply 9
I applied for Manc foundation year engineering with a statement only directed to mechanical engineering
Reply 10
Original post by AR_95
I applied for Manc foundation year engineering with a statement only directed to mechanical engineering

I'm guessing they understand that you're talking about what you're planning to do after the year and they don#t assume that you think you're apply for straight mecheng? Did you apply this year and if not how did it go and how was the foundation year?
Reply 11
Original post by J_T_
Cool. I didn't think it was a very popular choice. Where are you applying for and have you sent everything off yet? I'm still on my personal statement but I'm planning to finalise everything next week.

Manchester is my first choice, then probably Birmingham, Nottingham and Sheffield.
Im pretty much on the final stages of my personal statement and I've still got to fill the UCAS form out, college deadline is Friday so hopefully it will all be done soon
Reply 12
Manchester is my first choice, then probably Birmingham, Nottingham and Sheffield.
Im pretty much on the final stages of my personal statement and I've still got to fill the UCAS form out, college deadline is Friday so hopefully it will all be done soon

I have a little more time until my college deadline and I'm about the same as you personal statement wise. Good luck!
Reply 13
Original post by J_T_
I have a little more time until my college deadline and I'm about the same as you personal statement wise. Good luck!

You too! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by J_T_
I'm guessing they understand that you're talking about what you're planning to do after the year and they don#t assume that you think you're apply for straight mecheng? Did you apply this year and if not how did it go and how was the foundation year?

I applied last year and received an offer within 5 days. The foundation year is a pathway to most types of engineering (the main ones at least) so it wouldn't ever be the case of "Sorry, your personal statement doesn't match the course criteria".
If you wan't to state you want to do Chemical Engineering then that is fine. If you're applying to mostly foundation years then I would suggest you say something like the foundation year gives you an option if you do change your mind later but, don't if you're 100% certain on Chemical Engineering.

I applied last year yes and received the offer as stated. I decided to take a gap year though and I'm reapplying to Manchester. Btw the same applies to Nottingham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending