The Student Room Group

How soon can your GP refer you to a mental hospital?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by McNuggetsAhoy
You think any of us have nice lives? All of us have mental health conditions that have resulted in hospital admissions. You think you are the only one with a **** life? Come and live a day in my shoes and see what it is like having schizophrenia and see how much you like that.

People here are trying to help you but you keep ignoring all the advice you are being given.

ID say the exact same thing to you. Having schizophrenia doesn't entitle you to have a bad attitude towards others who are suffering just as much, maybe even more.
Nobody on here had been helpful, but since my original question has been resolved, I think this thread can be closed now.
Original post by falling
In answer to yout question, you can be. Both my admissions happened within the day. In saying that, I think your GP is more likely to refer you to community services than to a psychiatric ward. As others have said, hospital isn't a magic fix, and is a horrible place to be. YOU need to be willing to make changes, and if you go in with the attitude that hospital is going to suddenly cure you, you'll find yourself much worse off. My admissions have been hands down the hardest, most unpleasant experiences of my life, and often, hospital actually exacerbates rather than helps the problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only person who ha provided an answer to my question, thank you.
am i the only one who found the thread title hilarious
Original post by bertstare
am i the only one who found the thread title hilarious

Yes.
3 antidepressants really isn't that much. Especially as you've only tried 2 SSRIs and 1 TCA. Why don't you try asking to try a different one? It took me 9 antidepressants and a hell of a lot longer than 2 years to find one that worked for me.
Original post by Anonymous
How dare you say im entitled?? You dont know what I have to go through every day, my life is a living nightmare and being treated as an outpatient hasn't worked.

I understand what living with severe mental health problems is like, I understand feeling like you have no control over what happens in your mind and what that makes you do, I understand feeling like treatment hasn't worked and you need more... I understand as much about you as you understand about the people who ARE admitted to inpatient units, which incidentally I was offered a bed in (luckily as a voluntary patient and I turned it down and managed to buck my ideas up before being involuntary)

but you're not listening, an inpatient unit will not offer you anything additional to an outpatient center... YOU are the only one who can make a change and the change will never come until you make it
Original post by Sabertooth
3 antidepressants really isn't that much. Especially as you've only tried 2 SSRIs and 1 TCA. Why don't you try asking to try a different one? It took me 9 antidepressants and a hell of a lot longer than 2 years to find one that worked for me.

because I'm sick and tired of pills. I'm on propranolol as well.
Original post by doodle_333
I understand what living with severe mental health problems is like, I understand feeling like you have no control over what happens in your mind and what that makes you do, I understand feeling like treatment hasn't worked and you need more... I understand as much about you as you understand about the people who ARE admitted to inpatient units, which incidentally I was offered a bed in (luckily as a voluntary patient and I turned it down and managed to buck my ideas up before being involuntary)

but you're not listening, an inpatient unit will not offer you anything additional to an outpatient center... YOU are the only one who can make a change and the change will never come until you make it

that's not true. if it means I can't go to aene every night then that will already be enough. this has been going on for too long.
because I'm sick and tired of pills. I'm on propranolol as well.

Antidepressants can make a huge difference. It seems odd you're unwilling to do what basically every hospital would want you to do were you admitted.

You've also only tried CBT, there are other therapies available - for example mindfulness.
that's not true. if it means I can't go to aene every night then that will already be enough. this has been going on for too long.

that will not help

A. you will still be in a medical institution with nurses and so on around you
B. you will never have made the decision yourself so the second you're out of hospital you will go right back to A&E - you have to have the mental strength yourself
Original post by doodle_333
that will not help

A. you will still be in a medical institution with nurses and so on around you
B. you will never have made the decision yourself so the second you're out of hospital you will go right back to A&E - you have to have the mental strength yourself

No i wont because hopefully i will have learnt that nothing terrible will happen of im not investigated by a doctor every night, which they wouldn't do in a mental unit.
If i had the mental strength i wouldnt be mentally ill.
Reply 51
I'm seeing my gp tomorrow and I want to ask if I can be admitted to a mental hospital, will this be done on the day or is there normally a long waiting list?

You're best off going straight to A&E if you need urgent help, they will be able to get things moving for you much faster than your GP if you really need help now.

Ahhhhh..... didn't realize you'd already been going to A&E...
(edited 9 years ago)
Just to add in again, what almost everyone here is saying is right - hospital is not a magic fix, recovery will take a huge aount of self involvement. Also while in hospital you may be forced to take medication which you say you don't want.

Also there is generally a structure to being admitted, it is very rare to be admitted from a GP, a bit more common to be admitted from A and E but still not common, there is a hierarchy of treatment levels to try first which goes like:

GP>CMHT>Crisis line>HTT>Day hospital>Inpatient.

From the sound of your posts it feels like you've only ever seen a GP. . .
As someone who has been in the nhs and private sector, what are you expecting the private sector to do differently to the nhs? They offer much the same treatment, it's just you get it faster in a nicer (but still unpleasant) environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sabertooth
Antidepressants can make a huge difference. It seems odd you're unwilling to do what basically every hospital would want you to do were you admitted.

You've also only tried CBT, there are other therapies available - for example mindfulness.

Ive tried antidepressabts. Ive tried mindfulness. Ive tried everu there is to try except hospital admission. Of course id take whatever they gave me if i was admitted.
Ive tried antidepressabts. Ive tried mindfulness. Ive tried everu there is to try except hospital admission. Of course id take whatever they gave me if i was admitted.

No, you've tried 3 antidepressants and not even one from every class.

I don't see why you need to be admitted to take antidepressants. :confused:
Original post by bullettheory
As someone who has been in the nhs and private sector, what are you expecting the private sector to do differently to the nhs? They offer much the same treatment, it's just you get it faster in a nicer (but still unpleasant) environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have answered your own question. Speedy treatment in a nicer environment can make all the difference. My gp has made it clear they wont admit me on the nhs.
Original post by Squaresquirrel
Just to add in again, what almost everyone here is saying is right - hospital is not a magic fix, recovery will take a huge aount of self involvement. Also while in hospital you may be forced to take medication which you say you don't want.

Also there is generally a structure to being admitted, it is very rare to be admitted from a GP, a bit more common to be admitted from A and E but still not common, there is a hierarchy of treatment levels to try first which goes like:

GP>CMHT>Crisis line>HTT>Day hospital>Inpatient.

From the sound of your posts it feels like you've only ever seen a GP. . .

I dotn know what thread you have been reading but ive said numerous times now that ive tried lots of different treatments which havent worked.
I dotn know what thread you have been reading but ive said numerous times now that ive tried lots of different treatments which havent worked.

Which of the

'GP>CMHT>Crisis line>HTT>Day hospital>Inpatient.'

teams have you been under??

I only ask so I can better understand and help.
ID say the exact same thing to you. Having schizophrenia doesn't entitle you to have a bad attitude towards others who are suffering just as much, maybe even more.
Nobody on here had been helpful, but since my original question has been resolved, I think this thread can be closed now.

I don't have a bad attitude to others who are suffering just as much.

I have a bad attitude to those who ask for help from people who know what they are talking about and then consistently ignore what they have to say and then when they are called out on it try and make out that they are suffering worse than anyone else in the world. Yes we all know you are having a **** time. Yes we feel sorry for you and hope you feel better soon. But that doesn't change the advice you are being given. Hospital will not fix your problems.

You need to work with your GP and mental health team to fix the issue in the community.

Quick Reply

Latest