The Student Room Group

How soon can your GP refer you to a mental hospital?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Squaresquirrel
Which of the

'GP>CMHT>Crisis line>HTT>Day hospital>Inpatient.'

teams have you been under??

I only ask so I can better understand and help.

I called the crisis team, they were hopeless. Im known to the complex care team and ive had cbt. I dont know what the rest stands for.
if you say the doctors you have seen at A and E recommended to your gp that you should benefit from a hospital stay. then i wonder why that request was ignored by your gp? Since other treatments have failed. Maybe seeing another GP could make a difference? i'm worried you say your dad is 'screaming' at you. maybe he is stressed about your condition? is he scary and dangerous towards you? perhaps living in a toxic environment is unhelpful to your condition, and your dads lack of support makes things worse in your sub-conscious. When did you start going to Aand E so often? Have you always been unwell or did it come on quickly? Yes i think i agree your not getting very helpful treatment on NHS.
Original post by McNuggetsAhoy
I don't have a bad attitude to others who are suffering just as much.

I have a bad attitude to those who ask for help from people who know what they are talking about and then consistently ignore what they have to say and then when they are called out on it try and make out that they are suffering worse than anyone else in the world. Yes we all know you are having a **** time. Yes we feel sorry for you and hope you feel better soon. But that doesn't change the advice you are being given. Hospital will not fix your problems.

You need to work with your GP and mental health team to fix the issue in the community.

I only asked if one was to be referred to be admitted to hospital by the gp, whether it would be done on the same day. Only one person on here so far has answered that question.
You shouldn't really have a bad attitude towards anyone tbh. Especially to people you dont know.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm seeing my gp tomorrow and I want to ask if I can be admitted to a mental hospital, will this be done on the day or is there normally a long waiting list?

Please refrain from calling it a 'mental hospital' ... it's called a psychiatric ward.
Original post by SuperWolfPaws
if you say the doctors you have seen at A and E recommended to your gp that you should benefit from a hospital stay. then i wonder why that request was ignored by your gp? Since other treatments have failed. Maybe seeing another GP could make a difference? i'm worried you say your dad is 'screaming' at you. maybe he is stressed about your condition? is he scary and dangerous towards you? perhaps living in a toxic environment is unhelpful to your condition, and your dads lack of support makes things worse in your sub-conscious. When did you start going to Aand E so often? Have you always been unwell or did it come on quickly? Yes i think i agree your not getting very helpful treatment on NHS.

She gets so many reports about me, maybe she just didnt see it. I will ask again if i can be referred somewhere privately.
I do sometimes worry that hell hit me, yes, especially when he gets histeric. If that happens again ill just have to call the police, i cant deal with that level of stress and i shouldn't have to. Hes very controlling and emotionally abusive.
The hospital visits started about two years ago, i dont know how or why.
I called the crisis team, they were hopeless. Im known to the complex care team and ive had cbt. I dont know what the rest stands for.

If I'm perfectly honest I don't know what else to say. You really need to deal with the fact that you have a mental health problem and manage your own recovery - try your best in therapy, take the meds the doctors think you need, change them if they don't work, accept that this has happened and deal with it. Wasting away in a hospital will do more harm than good in the long run and it seems your doctors have this opinion too . . .
I only asked if one was to be referred to be admitted to hospital by the gp, whether it would be done on the same day. Only one person on here so far has answered that question.
You shouldn't really have a bad attitude towards anyone tbh. Especially to people you dont know.

See below for my detailed and completely ignored response to your question on page 1 of your thread. Practically every single person who's come onto this thread trying to help has been ignored or belittled by you. You have an attitude problem. This may or may not stem from your mental health problems, but I truly doubt you will get far in recovery without resolving it.

Original post by superwolf
When you say you're in constant fear of your life, do you mean that you're in danger of seriously harming yourself, or that you fear excessively that something will happen to you? Psychiatric wards are seriously short of beds for all the patients that need them, to the extent that even people who are actively suicidal aren't always admitted.

Like Sabertooth says, care in the community is the preferred option for most patients, and is usually the better option as well. Long hospital stays can lead to institutionalisation and loss of ability to look after yourself, and it disrupts things like being on benefits or NHS waiting lists. In addition, you might not even receive much or any more treatment in hospital than you would on the outside (from personal experience, they just gave me my medication and we did a few craft activities - there was no therapy or counselling, and the ward's doctor only came round once a week).

I absolutely don't want to discourage you from seeking help, and if you are in serious danger of hurting yourself and others it may well be that hospital is the best short-term option. But please don't think of hospital as being a cure-all, or that it's anything other than a last resort.

To answer your question, the day I was admitted to hospital I say my GP (who had already discussed hospitalisation with me as a potential future option) for an emergency appointment in the morning, explained that my depression had become acute to the point of being in serious danger of ending my life. She asked me to return at 6.00 to see if there was any improvement throughout the day. I did this and since there was no change in my mood she said I'd have to go into hospital (to this day I'm not certain if I would have been sectioned if I'd refused, but I'm glad I didn't have to find this out!). A taxi took me to A&E, where after a few hours' wait a psychiatrist saw and admitted me. It was about midnight by the time I actually got to the ward itself, so yes it did happen within the course of one day.

Stay safe OP, and I hope your health improves soon. :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by McNuggetsAhoy
I don't have a bad attitude to others who are suffering just as much.

I have a bad attitude to those who ask for help from people who know what they are talking about and then consistently ignore what they have to say and then when they are called out on it try and make out that they are suffering worse than anyone else in the world. Yes we all know you are having a **** time. Yes we feel sorry for you and hope you feel better soon. But that doesn't change the advice you are being given. Hospital will not fix your problems.

You need to work with your GP and mental health team to fix the issue in the community.

Please get off your high horse. You don't know everything and you don't know the OP. Stop assuming you do and you know their problems and you know what's best for them. Do you 100% know it won't fix their problems? Are you that arrogant to start attacking them for something they are wanting to try? If you're going to be aggressive to the OP, please do not reply to the topic.The mental health system in general is APPAULING. Even outside of hospitals. It is TERRIBLE. I don't mean to come across rude, but your post and tone is the opposite of helpful. I understand that OP's responses are a little difficult and perhaps a little rude, but they have undergone signitificant attack and judgement. No matter how bad a person they may or may not be, we do not know them, we cannot judge. If the OP is as they are coming across(it could just be they are a bit angry atm) then unfortunately they will find it hard to get proper help, ever until their perception of themselves and the world changes. But please, don't get angry about that, it is not for you to take it on board =). Love always!

OP, often a GP cannot refer you to a hospital you need to go to A&E.

Mental hosps are not nice and quiet unfortunately. I've been in one and visited others in 3 different ones. One of my best friends has been in and our since the age of 16 and she's 23 now. She'll tell you she stays out of them as gets out as soon as poss. She has bipolar and paranoid schizophrenia. There was once incidence a girl was happy to see her mum coming in and visiting, only to be told she was mad it wasn't her mum (her mum was african and she was half cast) and was sedated. It was her mother! People are often completely out of it and won't hold conversations. You'll be watched and cant even go for a fag without permission. If they are very worried about you you won't even be allowed to close your bedroom door. People might just attack you for looking at them funny, some people are so ****ed up it's so disheartening to see. They can't even communicate with the world, they stare blank into an abyss. It's really sad.

And this is someone who was in and out of refuges as a child and saw a lot of crazy hurting, ****ed up people.

Getting into hospital, even if it was the right place for you is not easy. I had a parent attempt suicide a month ago and she could not be admitted due to a lack of space.

There are many other places you can get help from =). If you need a break and time to get away from the world, let me suggest SamyeLing a buddhist monestry. It's £26 a night alll means included in the middle of nowhere. People are so calm. If you want to speak to them you can, if you want to sit in silence and admire the beauty you can. Many go for healing and you'll experience much more freedom and opportunity to discover yourself then in a mental hospital where all they do is control you.

Good luck xxx
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lesbiefriends
Please refrain from calling it a 'mental hospital' ... it's called a psychiatric ward.

I dont really care what the politically correct term is, my life has been ruined.
Original post by laeof
Please get off your high horse. You don't know everything and you don't know the OP. Stop assuming you do and you know their problems and you know what's best for them. Do you 100% know it won't fix their problems? Are you that arrogant to start attacking them for something they are wanting to try? If you're going to be aggressive to the OP, please do not reply to the topic.The mental health system in general is APPAULING. Even outside of hospitals. It is TERRIBLE. I don't mean to come across rude, but your post and tone is the opposite of helpful.

Mental hosps are not nice and quiet unfortunately. I've been in one and visited others in 3 different ones. One of my best friends has been in and our since the age of 16 and she's 23 now. She'll tell you she stays out of them as gets out as soon as poss. She has bipolar and paranoid schizophrenia. There was once incidence a girl was happy to see her mum coming in and visiting, only to be told she was mad it wasn't her mum (her mum was african and she was half cast) and was sedated. It was her mother! People are often completely out of it and won't hold conversations. You'll be watched and cant even go for a fag without permission. If they are very worried about you you won't even be allowed to close your bedroom door. People might just attack you for looking at them funny, some people are so ****ed up it's so disheartening to see. They can't even communicate with the world, they stare blank into an abyss. It's really sad.

Getting into hospital, even if it was the right place for you is not easy. I had a parent attempt suicide a month ago and she could not be admitted due to a lack of space.

There are many other places you can get help from =). If you need a break and time to get away from the world, let me suggest SamyeLing a buddhist monestry. It's £26 a night alll means included in the middle of nowhere. People are so calm. If you want to speak to them you can, if you want to sit in silence and admire the beauty you can. Many go for healing and you'll experience much more freedom and opportunity to discover yourself then in a mental hospital where all they do is control you.

Good luck xxx

Thank you for backing me up :smile: that incident you described sounds horrible. I dont think a buddist monastery is for me though. I think i would be scared to be in the middle of nowhere.
Reply 70
Thank you for backing me up :smile: that incident you described sounds horrible. I dont think a buddist monastery is for me though. I think i would be scared to be in the middle of nowhere.

It is not a buddhist monestray persay in that it's some scary ass place and there's loadsa buddhas around and you have to be one. It's filled with normal folk. Next weekend i'm going to a course called "Liberation from suffering". The last awesome course I went too there was various people with mental health problems, normal folk, doctors etc. Everyone is entirely themselves. That's what so great about it.

You do exactly what you like, you can even get your own room on one of the comfiest beds in the world! You do as you please. I've met some of the most amazing inspiring people there who have gone through hell are are using the place to help them heal. It will be scary, but the only way to make a recovery is to start trying things you have not tried before :smile:.
Original post by superwolf
See below for my detailed and completely ignored response to your question on page 1 of your thread. Practically every single person who's come onto this thread trying to help has been ignored or belittled by you. You have an attitude problem. This may or may not stem from your mental health problems, but I truly doubt you will get far in recovery without resolving it.

Im not the one with the attitude problem here, a lot of people are giving me stick and naturally i feel very angry when people try to undermine what im going through, suggest that i havent tried to seek help and belittle me. You are one of those people im afraid, which is perhaps why i overlooked your answer in the first place.
Reply 72
I would also like to suggest you do not give any more responses to topics in here. It is not helpful and only causing anger, hurt and a need to defend yourself. Speak to your GP the person who will be able to help and guide you.
Original post by laeof
Please get off your high horse. You don't know everything and you don't know the OP. Stop assuming you do and you know their problems and you know what's best for them. Do you 100% know it won't fix their problems? Are you that arrogant to start attacking them for something they are wanting to try? If you're going to be aggressive to the OP, please do not reply to the topic.The mental health system in general is APPAULING. Even outside of hospitals. It is TERRIBLE. I don't mean to come across rude, but your post and tone is the opposite of helpful. I understand that OP's responses are a little difficult and perhaps a little rude, but they have undergone signitificant attack and judgement. No matter how bad a person they may or may not be, we do not know them, we cannot judge. If the OP is as they are coming across(it could just be they are a bit angry atm) then unfortunately they will find it hard to get proper help, ever until their perception of themselves and the world changes. But please, don't get angry about that, it is not for you to take it on board =). Love always!

And this is someone who was in and out of refuges as a child and saw a lot of crazy hurting, ****ed up people.

Good luck xxx

I don't think McNuggetsAhoy is on high horse at all . . . He's just stated facts, obviously none of us know the OP personally but the fact he can even go on a computer and form cohesive arguments is rather telling that hospital admission won't help.
Original post by laeof
It is not a buddhist monestray persay in that it's some scary ass place and there's loadsa buddhas around and you have to be one. It's filled with normal folk. Next weekend i'm going to a course called "Liberation from suffering". The last awesome course I went too there was various people with mental health problems, normal folk, doctors etc. Everyone is entirely themselves. That's what so great about it.

You do exactly what you like, you can even get your own room on one of the comfiest beds in the world! You do as you please. I've met some of the most amazing inspiring people there who have gone through hell are are using the place to help them heal. It will be scary, but the only way to make a recovery is to start trying things you have not tried before :smile:.

Ok well ill give it a look.
Im not the one with the attitude problem here, a lot of people are giving me stick and naturally i feel very angry when people try to undermine what im going through, suggest that i havent tried to seek help and belittle me. You are one of those people im afraid, which is perhaps why i overlooked your answer in the first place.

Having read your responses in this thread I can't say I care for you OP. However I genuinely came into this thread with an open mind, with a view to help. I think that is evident from my post that I quoted. If you fail to see that, and fail to appreciate that for myself and others recollecting such times is quite a painful experience, one that we choose to remember for the sake of helping others, then really I pity your lack of empathy.

No one is trying to undermine what you're going through, I have seen several people (myself included) sympathise with you and admit that mental illness is horrible. People are simply suggesting that hospital admission will not hope and you need to learn how to function in the community.
Original post by Squaresquirrel
I don't think McNuggetsAhoy is on high horse at all . . . He's just stated facts, obviously none of us know the OP personally but the fact he can even go on a computer and form cohesive arguments is rather telling that hospital admission won't help.

Its laughable that you think you have to be incoherent in order to be admitted. They dont judge you on your ability to write a post. :facepalm:
Original post by laeof

My attack as you put it (which it wasn't) was intended to come across as tough love. You can't always pander to people. When I was most sick the most helpful things my family told me at the time hurt like hell. But they helped.

Perhaps I have a different attitude to some people here but I was actually trying to help. I may not be directly aware of the OP's problems but I have experienced issues myself and know what it feels like to be at rock bottom. I'm trying to give the same advice I was given when I was at that point.

Take your meds. Work with your mental health team and put in the effort yourself to work with counselling (such as CBT, Mindfullness etc). With that the OP is likely to improve. If they don't they won't. That's pretty much all there is to it. Recovery is hard work (trust me I've been there for years it is not easy at all). But the hard work pays off in the end.
Its laughable that you think you have to be incoherent in order to be admitted. They dont judge you on your ability to write a post. :facepalm:

The majority of admissions to psych wards are for psychosis and mania. If you suffer from any these symptoms severely enough to be admitted I guarantee that you will not be making sense.

The next most common risk is being a serious threat to yourself which from what I have read you are not.

The fact that you think it's laughable that incoherence is not taken into account when admitting shows that you really don't understand why psych wards exist. . .

Quick Reply

Latest