The Student Room Group

What do you think is a good salary and why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xDave-
How? If you're renting, you're looking at 800+ per month. I live in Hertfordshire, and the cheapest I've seen near me is £725 a month. Even renting a room in a house is going to cost around £500+.

Hartfordshire is an expensive place to live. But with that comes a higher salary?
£75K
Original post by RayApparently
You don't think MPs earn a 'good salary'?

The perks though (just think about the pension these guys will get).

Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Not even the prime minister earns £200k after tax :s-smilie:

See above. What do you think Blair has gotten for speeches since? Schröder of Germany similarly and he also got a nice gig at Gazprom...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SophieSmall
£9 for that? Tesco, tinned chopped tomatoes are like 40p a can, can get a pack of onion in aldi or lidl for about 69p, bag of pasta can get for as cheap as 29p, home bargins you can get a 4 pack of tuna cans (branded ones too) for £1.60, no idea on olives as I hate the things :P cheese, I buy the big 900g blocks from aldi/lide for £3.99

Another thing I've found, people are often either too lazy or too proud to shop in cheaper stores (not saying this is necessarily the case for you). Though I do understand sometimes the stores aren't always in the area...though you can get deliveries.

Yeah that counts :P I genuinely can't taste the difference. Though I rarely eat beans.

Aye, I wasn't implying you in particular can't cook, it's just a trend I have noticed.

I always overestimate on pasta! :P But then I eat it all anyway because I'm a greedy bastard :biggrin:

No harm in doing it every now and again, but it's so easy to lose track of spending and buy far to much (even if you end up eating it all, if it was too much it's not like you saved money...you just ate more) or far to often when you are going shopping every day. I've done it myself.

I know! I learnt that fast, first week of first year in uni I bought way more veg than I needed and half of it went off, money down the drain.

I agree it's a good deal for one off occasions, but if you're making it a daily habit it's an unnecessary cost when you can just make the sandwich yourself, buy multi packs of crisps and bring your own bottle for a fraction of the cost over time.

Convenience costs money, and it adds up.

If you want to eat crap...
Original post by tazarooni89
They're not "delusional", it just depends on what kind of lifestyle you're used to, and can be reasonably expected to provide for yourself. It's completely relative.

For someone who has grown up in a household and society of multimillionaires, whose parents have spent thousands of pounds on their education and who are very well connected amongst influential people in the corporate world, a peak salary of £50k is quite an underachievement, all things considered.

But given the circumstances that someone else has grown up in, the type of education they've received, the type of lifestyle their used to etc. they might consider someone earning that much to be extremely rich.

Yea, ignorance goes both ways as does snobbery.
Original post by miser
I'd say a person earning £40k was doing pretty well for themselves.

Are you doing pretty well for yourself? :smile:
A good salary? when I can pay my food, my rent, the elextricity and water bill, plus some money for myself.
I'm not sure but I kind of like the idea of a lower salary with perks included, like a house.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by solarplexus
100-200k a year by at least age 45 after tax of course....

made by career salary and personal investments...

would make you very comfortable provided your out of debt by 35

Nice joke.
Original post by Juichiro
Nice joke.

poor much?
Original post by xDave-
How? If you're renting, you're looking at 800+ per month. I live in Hertfordshire, and the cheapest I've seen near me is £725 a month. Even renting a room in a house is going to cost around £500+. If we say £15 for food per week (which is a very low estimate, especially when you're a vegetarian like me and everything is way more expensive) then you're on 860 spend already. My bus costs £75 a month, and I can't imagine there being any cheaper form of transport than that, so that's 935. Then you have electricity, gas, internet, and water; that's gonna be a very close shave for coming under £1000, and this is all low estimates.

If you're prepared to live with other people, then you can do it with some money to spare, but no way can you move out alone on this sort of money.

I don't see how, based on what I said above.

False. Meat is the most expensive product you will find on your grocery list.
Reply 91
Original post by Balloon Baboon
Hartfordshire is an expensive place to live. But with that comes a higher salary?

Nope, like I said, I'm on 17k, which is 14.5k after tax.
poor much?

Poor in Bloomsbury? Not much. :smile:

Are you studying in UCL?
Original post by Edminzodo
I'm not sure but I kind of like the idea of a lower salary with perks included, like a house.

Could it be that you think about illegal business? :biggrin: If not, there is something which is wrong with me... :frown:
Reply 94
It's all relative, I don't think people should take the mick out of someone for saying an especially high salary as all it indicates is that they have high ambitions, furthermore if they are, say, studying law at Cambridge then its not unlikely they will be earning over a million a year by retirement
Poor in Bloomsbury? Not much. :smile:

Are you studying in UCL?

not yet on a gap year, they are my 5th.

got an apartment on old Gloucester streeet .:smile:

why do u say 'nice joke'?
not yet on a gap year, they are my 5th.

got an apartment on old Gloucester streeet .:smile:

why do u say 'nice joke'?

Cool, what will you study?

I said nice joke because I thought it was a nice joke. :smile:
Original post by xDave-
How? If you're renting, you're looking at 800+ per month. I live in Hertfordshire, and the cheapest I've seen near me is £725 a month. Even renting a room in a house is going to cost around £500+. If we say £15 for food per week (which is a very low estimate, especially when you're a vegetarian like me and everything is way more expensive) then you're on 860 spend already. My bus costs £75 a month, and I can't imagine there being any cheaper form of transport than that, so that's 935. Then you have electricity, gas, internet, and water; that's gonna be a very close shave for coming under £1000, and this is all low estimates.

If you're prepared to live with other people, then you can do it with some money to spare, but no way can you move out alone on this sort of money.

I don't see how, based on what I said above.

Well then you clearly live in an expensive area, my post said "unless you live in london, or another expensive area".

Edit: I also had a look at properties to rent in your general area and I very easily found 1 bedroom flats to rent for as little as £400 a month, and house shares for as little as £280 a month (including bills).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SarcasticMel
If you want to eat crap...

I eat very well.
Reply 99
Are you doing pretty well for yourself? :smile:

I am for my age but I'm not there just yet. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest