The Student Room Group

Psychology vs Sociology?

Hey guys. I'm trying to decide whether to self study Psychology or Sociology. I only need to do up to AS and was wondering which subject you found easier at AS?

which one is easier to score marks in? I'm taking the examination in May/June so I need to cover the AS material in the next five or so months.

Thank you.
Depending on the exam board. I did edexcel psychology and AQA sociology and I found psychology to be much easier as AQA sociology is extremely content heavy.
Reply 2
Oh and add Accounting to the mix.

BUMP.
I have no idea about Psychology - people say it's really hard.

But Sociology is ridiculously easy. I'd err on the side of advising against it, because you'll probably find it boring. You just have to memorise the names of a couple of Sociologists, so if you want an easy ride, go for Sociology.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
I have no idea about Psychology - people say it's really hard.

But Sociology is ridiculously easy. I'd err on the side of advising against it, because you'll probably find it boring. You just have to memorise the names of a couple of Sociologists, so if you want an easy ride, go for Sociology.

I would say the same for Psychology !

If you're realistically going to work hard then Psychology is quite easy, by far my easiest AS out of it, Human Biology and French.

However, there is a lot to learn! Although I haven't ever actually studied Sociology, I've read revision guides/content overview and Sociology seems the 'easier' subject to take.

But.. if you took both and you found Psychology more interesting but Sociology less difficult.. you may still do better in Psychology. So it's not always best to go for the 'easier' option.

:smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for the input guys! Really appreciate it.
Reply 6
I think itll be impossible for you to self teach Psychology, go for sociology itll be easier for you :smile:
Sociology isn't necessarily hard and I got 184/200 in my AS result (doing A2 atm), but it's no walk in the park. If you don't take it seriously you will not do well, and this includes ensuring you know the textbook inside out
Reply 8
Original post by Uw0tm8_
I think itll be impossible for you to self teach Psychology, go for sociology itll be easier for you :smile:

What about Psychology is so daunting?

I'll have four-five months to study the AS-Level.

It's between Accounting, Psychology and Sociology right now so not sure what to go with :s

But thanks for your input. Just wondering why Psych is so hard
Reply 9
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Sociology isn't necessarily hard and I got 184/200 in my AS result (doing A2 atm), but it's no walk in the park. If you don't take it seriously you will not do well, and this includes ensuring you know the textbook inside out

I'm willing to study hard for the subject. For my exam board, CIE the two topics that I have to study for AS are:

Theory and Methods
The Family

Any similar to your exam board?
Original post by Abdo332
What about Psychology is so daunting?

I'll have four-five months to study the AS-Level.

It's between Accounting, Psychology and Sociology right now so not sure what to go with :s

But thanks for your input. Just wondering why Psych is so hard

What other subjects are you doing?
Its just A LOT to learn and its quite hard getting your head around tbh,
In terms of self teaching i just think sociology is your best option because its basically just the case of you knowing the book inside out lol
Also idk much about accounting a level :/

Good luck
Reply 11
Original post by Uw0tm8_
What other subjects are you doing?
Its just A LOT to learn and its quite hard getting your head around tbh,
In terms of self teaching i just think sociology is your best option because its basically just the case of you knowing the book inside out lol
Also idk much about accounting a level :/

Good luck

Ahh I see, thanks for the advice!

And I'm doing Maths, Economics and History
Original post by Abdo332
Ahh I see, thanks for the advice!

And I'm doing Maths, Economics and History

How come youre self teaching psy/socio/acc?
Forget about what is easiest. Do the one that you find the most interesting!
Reply 14
Original post by Uw0tm8_
How come youre self teaching psy/socio/acc?

Should have elaborated more. I've gotten conditional offers to unis in the Netherlands and they told me they'd consider two AS-levels equivalent to one A-level.

History (Also self-studied) has been killing me and A2 is just daunting so I've decided to take it up to only AS and do another subject alongside it to compensate.

Ps: I'm an international student :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by hellodave5
Forget about what is easiest. Do the one that you find the most interesting!

I find Psychology MILES more interesting but I have to prepare for the subject by May/June alongside two other A levels and another AS level :/

But I'm still leaning towards Psych.
Reply 16
I took both Sociology and Psychology at AS, and honestly I preferred Psychology. It didn't help that my Sociology teacher taught the course in the dullest and most uninspiring way ever, but I just didn't really get it really.

Psychology is great if you can memorize solid facts and studies, but there's not much room for just making things up on the spot - you have to be totally accurate. There's lot to learn, so you need to dedicate quite a bit of time to revise the content, though I found the course rather interesting. The essays are a lot more straightforward to write, too.

On the other hand, you can be quite explorative with Sociology. If you can hold an intelligent and well balanced argument backed up with studies, sociologists and key terms, I think you can afford to improvise a bit with the essays. They're certainly less solid than Psychology, and kind of subjective in terms of how to write the essays.

To be honest, I think either are fine on their own, but I would advise against taking both (which you're not doing anyway, which is good haha) as they both require lots of time and effort. Though, I totally BS'd the Sociology exams and still came out with a B, but worked incredibly hard to revise for the Psychology exams and came out with an A, so interpret that as you wish, haha.
Original post by Abdo332
I find Psychology MILES more interesting but I have to prepare for the subject by May/June alongside two other A levels and another AS level :/

But I'm still leaning towards Psych.

I'm currently in the psych area but never did the a level so can't offer advice at that level.
If you find it interesting you will be more likely to pull it off well - motivation is the key, always. There probably isn't that much variation between subjects regarding difficulty. Usually difficulty varies in relation to the individual - I can learn neuroscience and medicine related stuff... but I'm shocking at maths.
Original post by Abdo332
I'm willing to study hard for the subject. For my exam board, CIE the two topics that I have to study for AS are:

Theory and Methods
The Family

Any similar to your exam board?

Family yes is one exam
Education is the other with the theory and methods being connected to this exam
I took both Psychology and Sociology at AS and got a C in both. Although I got more marks in psychology, I dropped psychology for this year and am resitting one of the sociology exams which put my mark down (I got a B in one exam and a low D in the other). I enjoyed sociology more, and disliked remembering all the research and case studies for psychology. Most people I know like Psychology better, but it all depends on personal preference.

As for which one is easier... well, I can't really comment on that as they were both as difficult as each other, the amount of content you have to learn is more or less the same, I'd say you'd have to learn a bit more for Psychology though as there is more modules you need to learn! But I'd choose the subject which you have the most interest in as it will benefit you more when it comes to revision.

I was with AQA with both Psychology and Sociology.

Hope this helped! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Quick Reply

Latest