The Student Room Group

Homemade Christmas Gifts

As it is now 6 weeks til Christmas I thought I'd make this to share ideas and hopefully some people may save some moneys with them.

When I say 'homemade' I don't mean the type of scrappy, quick and childlike things people often think of when you think of homemade gifts. I mean useful, thoughtful things that may take a lot of time but not a lot of money.

For starters, I've recently made a looovely batch of limoncello with only a third of a bottle of vodka, 6 lemons and sugar and water. This batch will make four or five nicely sized bottles that will be decorated with a ribbon and a handwritten label attached on how it is best served. I compared it with a bottle of limoncello that was store bought for 6 times the price I made this for and I have to say I prefer mine. The lemon zest was diffused in the vodka for one week which I think is ideal, and I used a cup of sugar so it is not as bitter as the original.

Tomorrow I'm making amaretto just with water, sugar, vodka, vanilla extract and almond extract, and while the limoncello took a week to make, amaretto is done in an hour. Basically, with one bottle of £12 Vodka, I am set to make around 15 bottles of various liqueurs.

Photo albums can also be a nice gift. I am making one for my niece's second birthday with a blank, good quality book, a £1 pack of photo paper and random bags of decorative flowers, buttons and shiny bits and bobs from the craft shop.

Anyone had any success with homemade gifts? Please share ideas, I need more! The goal is that 80% of the gifts I give this year will be handmade :santa2:
I like to do a heartfelt smile, or take them on a brisk walk.
I made one of my friends a photo collage that she could hang on her wall. It sparkled and fit her room perfectly. I heard back from another friend that she didn't like it and thought I hadn't put any effort into it. I tried to include loads of memories and stuff she would like. I won't be doing that again. (Sorry, very negative)

I received a photo (framed) of my favourite musician when I was about 13. I really treasured it, it was really simple but I loved it. Showed that the person knew me well.
Original post by Viva Emptiness

You're so giving. For secret Santa are you just going to send a photo of you smiling?

Christmas cake/cupcakes etc are always nice :yep: ooooooh I think I'm gonna make some this year actually :h:
Original post by Precious Illusions
You're so giving. For secret Santa are you just going to send a photo of you smiling?

Christmas cake/cupcakes etc are always nice :yep: ooooooh I think I'm gonna make some this year actually :h:

No, I'm just going to do a heartfelt smile while thinking of them and then just let them know that's what they got. That's the real spirit of Christmas.
No, I'm just going to do a heartfelt smile while thinking of them and then just let them know that's what they got. That's the real spirit of Christmas.

Is Secret Santa being drawn on Friday? :puppyeyes: I really wanna know who's in :grumble:
Original post by DeceitfulDove
Is Secret Santa being drawn on Friday? :puppyeyes: I really wanna know who's in :grumble:

It isssss :awesome:

Spoiler

A few years ago I made(crocheted) my dad a blanket using wool that were his favourite colours, he still uses it every day :biggrin:
I think a crochet/knitted present can be quite cute because it takes a lot of time and you can personalize it

Food gifts work well, especially things like chocolate truffles or cakes
Reply 8

Just out of interest, did you get that joke from Russell Brand? I remember him making a joke to that degree on an episode of ponderland, since I'm a huge fan of his.
Original post by lustawny
Just out of interest, did you get that joke from Russell Brand? I remember him making a joke to that degree on an episode of ponderland, since I'm a huge fan of his.

Haha yeah, I had just ​watched it. That Christmas one kills me.
Great thread!

We've already made a couple of jams and some caramalised red onion chutney (which was largely gone by boxing day last year!) . I'm definitely going try try some amaretto though, I hadn't even considered that :yy:
Haha yeah, I had just ​watched it. That Christmas one kills me.

Yeah, me too! The clips they show on ponderland are always funny. I do love the Christmas episode too, though. I love the first bit where they're singing "White Christmas" and they forget the words. So funny haha, always makes me laugh.
Original post by lustawny
Yeah, me too! The clips they show on ponderland are always funny. I do love the Christmas episode too, though. I love the first bit where they're singing "White Christmas" and they forget the words. So funny haha, always makes me laugh.

I absolutely lost my **** at Norbert Cleaverhook. Seriously I was crying with laughter.
I absolutely lost my **** at Norbert Cleaverhook. Seriously I was crying with laughter.

"Ooooooh, something happened!"
Original post by CJ
Great thread!

We've already made a couple of jams and some caramalised red onion chutney (which was largely gone by boxing day last year!) . I'm definitely going try try some amaretto though, I hadn't even considered that :yy:

I made a load yesterday and it is beauuutiful :heart:

Used 2 mugs of water, 2 mugs white sugar, one mug brown sugar, 2 mugs vodka, 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons almond extract. It goes down...too well :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by DeceitfulDove
I made a load yesterday and it is beauuutiful :heart:

Used 2 mugs of water, 2 mugs white sugar, one mug brown sugar, 2 mugs vodka, 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons almond extract. It goes down...too well :tongue:

This sounds like such a good idea!

I need to actually get on with it, but I'm going to make my nephew a Mike the Knight costume for his birthday.
Basic smock/apron type pattern, in appropriate colours with felt stuck on for belt and shield.
I've also knitted my granny a lacey scarf :h:
Chocolates are one of those particular items that are loved by one and all and handmade chocolates can be really irresistible at times owing to their innovative taste, magnificent texture, and high-end quality. I will gift Chocolate gift boxes to my relatives. And I prefer Cacao and Cardamom Christmas Gift Box.

Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
A few years ago I made(crocheted) my dad a blanket using wool that were his favourite colours, he still uses it every day :biggrin:
I think a crochet/knitted present can be quite cute because it takes a lot of time and you can personalize it

Food gifts work well, especially things like chocolate truffles or cakes

Quick Reply

Latest