The Student Room Group

Good Swimmers awful body

So I recently started Lane Swimming at my local swimming baths, there are 4 or 5 usual who keep going lane to lane really fast without even getting tired at all. They do way more lengths than me!

I'm a really fit guy, I run and exercise 5/6 times a week for boxing and my fitness is peak.

BUT why don't these people have good bodies like they have the basic figure (almost fatter than average) HOW Do they swim like that continuous like but I cant?

It just doesn't make sense and is really really annoying as it leads me to the conclusion.

1) Swimming does not burn much fat
OR
2) Fat people can easily swim

Please note this is a serious question and really puzzles me, I am NOT trying to offend any one!

Scroll to see replies

Believe it or not... They probably have more stamina than you. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by karmacrunch
Believe it or not... They probably have more stamina than you. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My stamina is really high considering I do boxing and I have to fight.

THAT'S WHY I DON'T UNDERSTAND?
They've built up stamina. My mum is 55 and does no other exercise but can easily swim 40 lengths in no time.. Because she's built up to it. Generally swimming alone won't be enough to build muscle and they're probably eating more calories than they're burning.. Therefore have more bodyfat.
Recently started lane swimming compared to people who've been doing it for years probably. Here is your answer.
Original post by Trapsters
My stamina is really high considering I do boxing and I have to fight.

THAT'S WHY I DON'T UNDERSTAND?

Hmm... Maybe they have developed a better swimming technique? So they're able to use the energy they have better than you?

Tbh I'm not sure myself. There are lots of variables though- age of the swimmers, temperature (Some might find it easier to swim in colder water?)... :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by moonkatt
Recently started lane swimming compared to people who've been doing it for years probably. Here is your answer.

But why are they not toned up, this makes me think swimming is having no effect on me burning calories for me
Reply 7
Haha I love it when all the hench Gym goons come swimming expecting to be epic at it cus they are dench they my 10 stone self is just lapping them every 5 seconds.
Reply 8
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
They've built up stamina. My mum is 55 and does no other exercise but can easily swim 40 lengths in no time.. Because she's built up to it. Generally swimming alone won't be enough to build muscle and they're probably eating more calories than they're burning.. Therefore have more bodyfat.

I know it will not build much muscle but surely they should be slim, it doesn't add up, take running for example

you can't be fat and run a marathon so why can you be fat and swim loads of lengths

PS: I'm referring to the swimmers at the lane swimming centre
Reply 9
Original post by scotttb
Haha I love it when all the hench Gym goons come swimming expecting to be epic at it cus they are dench they my 10 stone self is just lapping them every 5 seconds.

I'm not at all "hench" I have a toned figure because I do boxing .

I'm 10.2 stone too :colondollar:
But why are they not toned up, this makes me think swimming is having no effect on me burning calories for me

exercise burns calories, eating adds calories... whether you lose or gain weight depends on whether you end up with a surplus or deficit overall
Reply 11
Original post by karmacrunch
Hmm... Maybe they have developed a better swimming technique? So they're able to use the energy they have better than you?

Tbh I'm not sure myself. There are lots of variables though- age of the swimmers, temperature (Some might find it easier to swim in colder water?)... :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think of it this way, say you went a running club and you seen guys/girls overweight who went every time for a couple years and they were over taking you. These sort of people (runners) would be slim, because you cant run if your fat, so why can fat people swim like champions
Reply 12
Original post by doodle_333
exercise burns calories, eating adds calories... whether you lose or gain weight depends on whether you end up with a surplus or deficit overall

I know but it what I am saying is how are they able to swim that many lengths considering there figure is overweight
I know it will not build much muscle but surely they should be slim, it doesn't add up, take running for example

you can't be fat and run a marathon so why can you be fat and swim loads of lengths

PS: I'm referring to the swimmers at the lane swimming centre

If they're eating more calories than they're burning then there's no way they can be slim. Being larger wouldn't have much of an effect on swimming ability seeing as you're weightless under the water anyway. Besides I know a girl who is slightly chubby/overweight and she's a distance runner and ran the marathon last year - she's fit as hell but eats **** loads of crap so isn't lean like you'd expect.
My guess would be that water supports the body, so your weight doesn't strain your heart body as much, meaning it is easier to swim for overweight people than it is to run. Others say that because you become accustomed to the cooler temperatures of water, your body will hold on to a little bit of fat.

Of course, they could just be good swimmers. If they swim alot and have good technique they can quickly build up stamina and speed. Fat could just be from excess calories.
Reply 15
I don't understand why you're not understanding.

If your stamina is really good, as in your perception is not wrong, then your swimming technique is bad. I'm not especially unfit but I struggle to swim a length and get really out of breath because I'm a really bad swimmer. The other option is your not as fit as you think you are- or a bit of both.

Fat(ish) people can run marathons though they won't be setting any records. I used to live with a 42 year old guy who isn't fat but is certainly fatter than healthy who ran a few marathons a year. Fitness and body type are related via diet so without knowing what they eat you can't draw any conclusions about the effectiveness of swimming in burning calories- there is no such thing as burning fat through exercise.

you can't be fat and run a marathon

Why?

Someones body composition isnt a very reliable sign of their fitness.

As for the "fat" people lapping you, there is a principle called Specific Adaption to Imposed Demands. This means your body will only adapt to what you put it through. You may be fit at what you do, but if you do an activity you have never trained for that completley different to your nomal activity (in this case you boxing), dont be surprised if youre gassed before you know it.

The fat people are simply conditioned better for swimming that you. Their heart, lungs and energy systems are well trained, but when they are outside of the pool they are obviously still taking in more food energy than they are burning off. Hence their bodyfat.
I know but it what I am saying is how are they able to swim that many lengths considering there figure is overweight

weight isn't so much of an issue in swimming - it's not like running where if you weigh 5lbs more that's 5lbs extra to push off the ground with every step, they can still have muscle under their fat and they can still have good technique and reasonable endurance
Reply 18
Original post by Jared Hobbes
Why?

Someones body composition isnt a very reliable sign of their fitness.

As for the "fat" people lapping you, there is a principle called Specific Adaption to Imposed Demands. This means your body will only adapt to what you put it through. You may be fit at what you do, but if you do an activity you have never trained for that completley different to your nomal activity (in this case you boxing), dont be surprised if youre gassed before you know it.

The fat people are simply conditioned better for swimming that you. Their heart, lungs and energy systems are well trained, but when they are outside of the pool they are obviously still taking in more food energy than they are burning off. Hence their bodyfat.

that makes perfect sense thank you!
Do you think swimming is good to burn calories (aswell as other cardio throughout the week)
Reply 19
Original post by doodle_333
weight isn't so much of an issue in swimming - it's not like running where if you weigh 5lbs more that's 5lbs extra to push off the ground with every step, they can still have muscle under their fat and they can still have good technique and reasonable endurance

Yeah but I know these "Swimmers" with so called stamina could not run for **** nor get into a boxing ring, it's like fake stamina or something

Quick Reply

Latest