The Student Room Group

2015 Physics Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WillB639
Tried to find a thread specific to physics applicants but couldn't find one :s

If we just do the usual:
-Type of physics (astro, theoretical, w/maths, w/computing...)
-Predicted grades and subjects
-Where have you applied
-Where have you got interviews or offers from?

Me:
Applies for plain physics
A*A*Aa (Phys, Maths, Economics, F.maths AS)
Exeter,Bristol,UCL,Imperial,Oxford

Got an offer from bristol for AAA, and also have a visit day at exeter this thursday! no news elsewhere

I've merged this in with the thread (and moved it to the forum where these sorts of threads live).

You can also stalk/track other applicants to your universities on the Physics Connect page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect/course/physics (which links back to the physics uni forum:smile:)
Original post by WillB639
Tried to find a thread specific to physics applicants but couldn't find one :s

If we just do the usual:
-Type of physics (astro, theoretical, w/maths, w/computing...)
-Predicted grades and subjects
-Where have you applied
-Where have you got interviews or offers from?

Applied for maths & physics but will probably change to straight physics at some point
Interested in nuclear/particle/theoretical/astro physics
Predicted 3A*s in maths, further maths, physics
Applied to Manchester Glasgow Cambridge Bristol Edinburgh
Offers from Bristol (AAB) Glasgow (AAA direct entry to 2nd year) Manchester (A*A*A)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else have their interview at Lancaster today?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 423
Original post by Fred Cantoni

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, mine is next Wednesday. Would you be able to tell me what it was like? Like the sort of questions you were asked, and what was the dress code? cheers
Original post by rachelc142
Applied for maths & physics but will probably change to straight physics at some point
Offers from Bristol (AAB) Glasgow (AAA direct entry to 2nd year) Manchester (A*A*A)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh just got my offer from Edinburgh (a*aa 2nd yr entry) so 4/5 now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jealous, when did you get your Manc offer??
Original post by Planckton
Jealous, when did you get your Manc offer??

Had my interview yesterday and it came through this morning

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had my interview yesterday and it came through this morning

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome well done!
What was the interview like? Mine's next week!
Original post by Fred Cantoni

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I did :smile: I think it went pretty well! And I love their new mugs. How did it go for you?

Original post by wmavfc
No, mine is next Wednesday. Would you be able to tell me what it was like? Like the sort of questions you were asked, and what was the dress code? cheers

There isn't a dress code. Some guys were in suits but mostly, people wore a T-shirt and jeans.
I enjoyed the day. While we were waiting for our interviews, we were put on tables in groups of ~6 with some pens, paper and questions for us to work on. It was a good way of starting to talk to people, and the questions were pretty fun.
The interview itself wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be - it was one to one, and the guy seemed really nice (you probably won't get the same guy though. Anyway he's called Ian and wears floral shirts). He asked me to do some simple integration and then asked me questions about gravitational fields. However, it seems that the questions asked to others were pretty varied.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Planckton
Awesome well done!
What was the interview like? Mine's next week!

Thanks!!
I loved mine, my interviewer started by asking "why do you want to study physics" and then asked about my epq and then because I was basically frothing at the mouth over my favourite mathematicians I ended up talking about gauss and then she asked if I knew the normal distribution equation which I did so we derived the graph :smile: I really enjoyed the whole experience and Manchester is definitely going to be my firm choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 430
Original post by StarvingAutist

There isn't a dress code. Some guys were in suits but mostly, people wore a T-shirt and jeans.
I enjoyed the day. While we were waiting for our interviews, we were put on tables in groups of ~6 with some pens, paper and questions for us to work on. It was a good way of starting to talk to people, and the questions were pretty fun.
The interview itself wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be - it was one to one, and the guy seemed really nice (you probably won't get the same guy though. Anyway he's called Ian and wears floral shirts). He asked me to do some simple integration and then asked me questions about gravitational fields. However, it seems that the questions asked to others were pretty varied.

Ah ok that's good then. Interview makes me think smart dress but glad it's more relaxed than that. That sounds like a pretty good day to me, I'm looking forward to it, thanks! Have you got an offer from them yet? Do you think they'll be your first choice?
Original post by wmavfc
Ah ok that's good then. Interview makes me think smart dress but glad it's more relaxed than that. That sounds like a pretty good day to me, I'm looking forward to it, thanks! Have you got an offer from them yet? Do you think they'll be your first choice?

It was good yeah :smile:
Well, I think everybody there basically had an offer anyway, just it wasn't official yet. After my interview, Ian said I should expect an offer to come through fairly soon (they don't handle offers departmentally, apparently). They said the interviews are mainly used for deciding on scholarships and deciding whether to let you in if you miss the grades.
Yeah, Lancaster will be my first choice in the likely event that Oxford won't have me :smile:
Reply 432
Original post by StarvingAutist
It was good yeah :smile:
Well, I think everybody there basically had an offer anyway, just it wasn't official yet. After my interview, Ian said I should expect an offer to come through fairly soon (they don't handle offers departmentally, apparently). They said the interviews are mainly used for deciding on scholarships and deciding whether to let you in if you miss the grades.
Yeah, Lancaster will be my first choice in the likely event that Oxford won't have me :smile:

That sounds promising, haha. I'm hoping I get to meet this Ian, I like the sound of his shirts. I have no idea where I want to go yet - might come down to who gives me the lowest offer out of Warwick (A*AA) then Exeter Lancaster (interviews) Birmingham and Nottingham(not heard)
Original post by wmavfc
That sounds promising, haha. I'm hoping I get to meet this Ian, I like the sound of his shirts. I have no idea where I want to go yet - might come down to who gives me the lowest offer out of Warwick (A*AA) then Exeter Lancaster (interviews) Birmingham and Nottingham(not heard)

He's a nice guy. Don't get the wrong Ian though; here are a few in the department. Apparently being called Ian is an advantage there.
Good luck :smile: I'd suggest Lancaster but I suppose I'm biased :tongue: Nottingham seems nice too; I enjoy Sixty Symbols and the professors seem pretty enthusiastic. I wish I'd applied there haha
Oh just got my offer from Edinburgh (a*aa 2nd yr entry) so 4/5 now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey what were your AS grades and predicted grades? I'm currently waiting on Edinburgh, hopefully shouldn't be long now, you're the first I've heard to get a physics offer :smile: Congrats by the way!!
Original post by Swinburne
Hey what were your AS grades and predicted grades? I'm currently waiting on Edinburgh, hopefully shouldn't be long now, you're the first I've heard to get a physics offer :smile: Congrats by the way!!

Hey :smile: I got AAAC and am predicted A*A*A* :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey :smile: I got AAAC and am predicted A*A*A* :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's great! That gives me some hope then cuz I'm about the same :smile:
Original post by Swinburne
Ah that's great! That gives me some hope then cuz I'm about the same :smile:

:smile: best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any fellow scots around?

Well here is my info:

-I am from North east Scotland! Dundee kinda area, although I am rural.
-Currently doing Advanced Higher, physics, maths and chemistry
-As for branches - I really like the more fundamental stuff, so QM, relativity and particles physics.
-I am sticking to scottish unis (for funding), but favouring st andrews so far.
-Will probably do either MPhys, or Theoretical MPhys, not too sure yet.

I managed to get 5A's in my highers which I am really pleased with, as well Dux (best overall higher prelim results) so hopefully that will help me stand out as St Andrews is insanely competitive by the sounds of things.

Looking forward to uni though. Physics kicks ass!
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks!!
I loved mine, my interviewer started by asking "why do you want to study physics" and then asked about my epq and then because I was basically frothing at the mouth over my favourite mathematicians I ended up talking about gauss and then she asked if I knew the normal distribution equation which I did so we derived the graph :smile: I really enjoyed the whole experience and Manchester is definitely going to be my firm choice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's awesome!! I'm so excited now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending