The Student Room Group

Which A-levels for economics?

Hello all, I am in desperate need of some advice as I do not know which A-levels to take to study economics at oxbridge, warwick, imperial or UCL.

The subjects which I am set on are:
Maths
History
Economics
Further Maths/Geography/Physics

I've been told that further maths isn't required for oxford but may be useful for cambridge and lse, any thoughts and advise welcomed.

Kind regards,
Original post by SSpringer20
Hello all, I am in desperate need of some advice as I do not know which A-levels to take to study economics at oxbridge, warwick, imperial or UCL.

Maths
History
Economics

I've been told that further maths isn't required for oxford but may be useful for cambridge and lse, any thoughts and advise welcomed.

Kind regards,

Moved this to uni courses economic forum :smile: Hopefully you'll get some help here :biggrin:
Reply 2
Hey what you were told is right. I would point out that you are better studying what you like not what is best as AAAB is better then AAAC obviously. I would however also state that further math works well with physics and can be easier tgen math. But like I said it is your choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Aph
Hey what you were told is right. I would point out that you are better studying what you like not what is best as AAAB is better then AAAC obviously. I would however also state that further math works well with physics and can be easier tgen math. But like I said it is your choice.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think realistically I can achieve AAAB maybe AAAA If I work hard, I am torn between furthermaths/geography/physics. Any of those three I will only take to AS.
Reply 4
I think realistically I can achieve AAAB maybe AAAA If I work hard, I am torn between furthermaths/geography/physics. Any of those three I will only take to AS.

Well if it'll be a dropped one definitely only go with what yiu are best at

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think people stress way too much over A level choices. Maths is necessary for most courses, further maths (as you say) is basically required at Cambridge, but other subjects are completely up to you and should be based on what you enjoy/are good at. If you want to study economics, chances are the subjects you'll be drawn to will suit you well there-economics is obviously a good choice, although most universities don't care whether you have it or not, and history or geography are both also good as the history of economics, and social economics (which you'll come across in geography) will both be found in any economics degree that you choose. Having said that, I studied English literature and religious studies as two of my A levels (alongside maths and economics) and even those subjects can be related to economics-literature because it covers many time periods and perspectives and can lead you to think about topics such as poverty and the distribution of wealth, and religious studies because it introduces ethics and subjects such as poverty/wealth also. So basically go for subjects that you love, because most subjects can be linked to economics and it's fair to imagine that the subjects that interest you now will lead you to the area of economics you want to focus on in the future.
Reply 6
Original post by mscaffrey
I think people stress way too much over A level choices. Maths is necessary for most courses, further maths (as you say) is basically required at Cambridge, but other subjects are completely up to you and should be based on what you enjoy/are good at. If you want to study economics, chances are the subjects you'll be drawn to will suit you well there-economics is obviously a good choice, although most universities don't care whether you have it or not, and history or geography are both also good as the history of economics, and social economics (which you'll come across in geography) will both be found in any economics degree that you choose. Having said that, I studied English literature and religious studies as two of my A levels (alongside maths and economics) and even those subjects can be related to economics-literature because it covers many time periods and perspectives and can lead you to think about topics such as poverty and the distribution of wealth, and religious studies because it introduces ethics and subjects such as poverty/wealth also. So basically go for subjects that you love, because most subjects can be linked to economics and it's fair to imagine that the subjects that interest you now will lead you to the area of economics you want to focus on in the future.

Thanks for the advice but I was told that an economics degree is very mathsy and that I would struggle without further maths.

Maths
History
Economics

Kind regards,

Imperial don't offer Economics lol. Generally, any of them would be fine, but if you're set on Camb/LSE go for FM as the courses there would be the most mathematically rigorous in the country. So it would be good preparation as well as boost your chances.

Maths
History
Economics

Kind regards,

Looks like a good set of subjects. Further Maths will without a doubt be useful (and you'll have to seriously love maths to do economics) but any of those combinations ought to be fine.
Reply 9
Thanks guys, I have another problem. I am set on F.Maths Maths and Economics. I am torn between geography and history and i love them both, please advise me which is seen as more desirable by oxbridge and other top unis. Thanks.
Thanks guys, I have another problem. I am set on F.Maths Maths and Economics. I am torn between geography and history and i love them both, please advise me which is seen as more desirable by oxbridge and other top unis. Thanks.

It really won't matter, depends on what you like more. Geography is supposedly easier but History is more useful I would say - either is good.

I think history is generally seen as more academic, and will be very useful for essay writing skills that you'll use in economics :smile:
Original post by cartonama
I think history is generally seen as more academic, and will be very useful for essay writing skills that you'll use in economics :smile:

The problem is that due to government changes (If the conservatives win the next election) history will become much harder and AS will count nothing towards the A2 grade. This doesn't effect geography
Yeah, I'm definitely set on Maths Further Maths Economics (A-levels)

Geography or History???

(I like them both a lot but prefer geography)
Reply 14

Geography or History???

You prefer Geography so then surely Geography?

Geography or History???

You prefer geog, and I'm fairly sure geography is easier so should be easier to get high UMS - obvious choice!
f.Maths maths, economics and history is a very good set of a levels for economics I'd imagine. But that's also rock hard.

With either history or geography you can pull the "I've learned how economics impacts society" etc on your PS.

History would allow you to say that you have studied the relation between society and economics and the history of economic change over a period of time. It's also the more respected subject generally.

However you'll have to work hard and be a decent essayist for history, and Geog might be slightly less work (I haven't done it, just received wisdom). You could also write it has helped you view society through the lenses of social science in your PS too.

Hope this is helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending