The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm quite glad that Gwyn Day came to my university to talk us through the whole process and how to beat it because I thought my applications were okay to send off now when they really need a bit more work and now when I get to the interview stage I'm pretty sure I'll be able to ace them!
Original post by Aenigma
I don't actually think the above poster is correct...
If you are *certain* you'll be doing a masters, you'll be a 2018 grad and do springs weeks in 2016, internship in 2017 and graduate in 2018

If you do a spring week, now, you'll either do two sets of spring weeks or two sets of summer internships. The latter would be you'd be rolling in it as in no way a bad thing (obviously you'd tell banks that you'd 'changed your mind' re doing an internship) the only problem is being deceitful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm.

Can anyone else clarify / shed some light on this?
Original post by MathsNerd1
I'm quite glad that Gwyn Day came to my university to talk us through the whole process and how to beat it because I thought my applications were okay to send off now when they really need a bit more work and now when I get to the interview stage I'm pretty sure I'll be able to ace them!

Gwyn Day is amazing!
Original post by ramba1
Ok, thanks. So do you think that means I've passed the online testing stage?
Also I applied to JP Morgan in over a week and haven't heard anything from them (not even regarding tests). Is this common?

If you finished them over a week ago yeah :smile:
Original post by Aenigma
I don't actually think the above poster is correct...
If you are *certain* you'll be doing a masters, you'll be a 2018 grad and do springs weeks in 2016, internship in 2017 and graduate in 2018

If you do a spring week, now, you'll either do two sets of spring weeks or two sets of summer internships. The latter would be you'd be rolling in it as in no way a bad thing (obviously you'd tell banks that you'd 'changed your mind' re doing an internship) the only problem is being deceitful

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can you actually prove as a second year that you'll 100% be doing a masters if it's not integrated? There are too many variables at play. You might not get a 2.1, might change your mind etc.

really can't see any bank buying that.
Original post by President M.E.
Gwyn Day is amazing!

I couldn't agree more! I learnt more in those 3 hours than I could have in a week, maybe 2!
Original post by MathsNerd1
I couldn't agree more! I learnt more in those 3 hours than I could have in a week, maybe 2!

He definitely cuts through the bs, I was at the Bright Network event and he just gave all the insider tips and tricks when applying, I'll definitely owe him a drink if I get a SW
Original post by President M.E.
He definitely cuts through the bs, I was at the Bright Network event and he just gave all the insider tips and tricks when applying, I'll definitely owe him a drink if I get a SW

Yeah, I went to the Bright Network event as well, which meant I stood out at this event when it came to the interview part and practice assessment centre. I'm going to see if I can get his assistance with applying next year because the level of information he said we should know was unreal, especially since I don't study Economics or Business.
Got my CS rejection today. Seeing as I only did the tests on Friday last week, I take it that means that I failed them?
If I fail to get a SW this year, would it be worth taking an industry year and applying to SW again next year to extend my course?
Original post by Bloxorus
Got my CS rejection today. Seeing as I only did the tests on Friday last week, I take it that means that I failed them?

what division? depends how you found it, id hazard not due to tests as its been 5 full days
Reply 1651
Original post by Anonynous
5 people

Trading simulation, group excercise, presentation and HR interview.

What sort of presentation was it? And what sort of questions were asked in the HR interview? Purely competency? Thanks for your help and sorry for all the questions
Original post by welcometoib
what division? depends how you found it, id hazard not due to tests as its been 5 full days

This was for IBD. I didn't find it terrible, I had to guess the last 2 questions because I ran out of time but I was reasonably confident on the rest.
Original post by Anonynous
If I fail to get a SW this year, would it be worth taking an industry year and applying to SW again next year to extend my course?

why would you want to apply to sws again when you could apply to summers when so many more places are available? you cant really apply for spring weeks to the same firms as you did this year, looks very odd
Original post by Bloxorus
This was for IBD. I didn't find it terrible, I had to guess the last 2 questions because I ran out of time but I was reasonably confident on the rest.

defo not numerical, as long as pass mark is met application is reviewed. cs is quite ec heavy, was your ecs section filled out?
Original post by Yuppie
What sort of presentation was it? And what sort of questions were asked in the HR interview? Purely competency? Thanks for your help and sorry for all the questions

We were given their annual report and told to prepare a pitch in 20 mins to a hedge fund as to why they should use ICAP FX broking services.

Interview was motivations based/personality based/commercial awareness based.

why would you want to apply to sws again when you could apply to summers when so many more places are available? you cant really apply for spring weeks to the same firms as you did this year, looks very odd

Why?
Got rejection for CS. Applied for the front office SW!
Original post by $$$stackemup$$$
Got rejection for CS. Applied for the front office SW!

when did you submit/do the numerical?
when did you submit/do the numerical?

Last week matey (Tuesday). 1 day after I got invitation.
Reply 1659
Haven't heard from CS since submitting the tests over 2 weeks ago.. Hopefully a good sign.

Latest