The Student Room Group

Best schools in London for Sixth Form?

What do you think of Westminster, St Paul's Girls, King's College School, City of London for Girls, (Channing?)?

The fact that KCS offers IB is appealing.

What do you know about the schools? Which is the best one regarding both academic (obv most important factor) and what the people are like?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
SPGS is the best school in the country academically, which makes it an extremely difficult school to get into. They also rarely accept new students at 16+, even if you are very bright, as most of their students from 11+ will not leave the school until they are 18. You have a better chance with schools like Westminster and Kings if you are a girl, because even though competition is fierce as they are very good academically, they are boys schools up until sixth form, which gives you a greater chance of getting in there, as opposed to a co-ed or single sex school. Around 600 girls apply for 60 spaces at Westminster each year. Around 250 girls apply for 40 spaces at Kings each year. Westminster will be tougher to get into as it has been one of the "greatest" schools for a long time, whereas Kings has only recently become one of the top-performing London schools. Either would be a great honour to get into. Sorry but I don't know much about City Girls.

I know a lot of girls and boys at Kings and they're all really nice, outgoing, funny people. With only 40 girls to 160 boys, as a girl you will form close friendships with the other girls there, which is very useful as it is important to have strong bonds in such a competitive atmosphere. It is a similar vibe at Westminster, except the people who go there will tend to keep to themselves a bit more, as Westminster is technically a boarding school and has probably the most amazing grounds of any school in England. Kings will tend to intermingle with other local schools much more. A lot of my best friends go to St Paul's. Some love it there, but others feel it is far to pressurised and can't cope with the strain of being in constant competition with 100 other girls, so you need to know yourself well enough to know that you could deal with this if you chose to go here. The girls there are lovely though and seem to really take pride in their academics. (Again don't know much about City sorry!)

Hope I helped.
Reply 2
Original post by HonorSed
SPGS is the best school in the country academically, which makes it an extremely difficult school to get into.

Say all the girl who have never been to NLCS or HB.
SPGS is the best school in the country academically, which makes it an extremely difficult school to get into. They also rarely accept new students at 16+, even if you are very bright, as most of their students from 11+ will not leave the school until they are 18. You have a better chance with schools like Westminster and Kings if you are a girl, because even though competition is fierce as they are very good academically, they are boys schools up until sixth form, which gives you a greater chance of getting in there, as opposed to a co-ed or single sex school. Around 600 girls apply for 60 spaces at Westminster each year. Around 250 girls apply for 40 spaces at Kings each year. Westminster will be tougher to get into as it has been one of the "greatest" schools for a long time, whereas Kings has only recently become one of the top-performing London schools. Either would be a great honour to get into. Sorry but I don't know much about City Girls.

I know a lot of girls and boys at Kings and they're all really nice, outgoing, funny people. With only 40 girls to 160 boys, as a girl you will form close friendships with the other girls there, which is very useful as it is important to have strong bonds in such a competitive atmosphere. It is a similar vibe at Westminster, except the people who go there will tend to keep to themselves a bit more, as Westminster is technically a boarding school and has probably the most amazing grounds of any school in England. Kings will tend to intermingle with other local schools much more. A lot of my best friends go to St Paul's. Some love it there, but others feel it is far to pressurised and can't cope with the strain of being in constant competition with 100 other girls, so you need to know yourself well enough to know that you could deal with this if you chose to go here. The girls there are lovely though and seem to really take pride in their academics. (Again don't know much about City sorry!)

Hope I helped.

hey what alevel subjects are you doing at sixth form
Reply 4
I have actually been to NLCS, and know that in terms of league tables it is behind SPGS. As for HB can't say I have been there, no.
Reply 5
@sophiamarni I'll be doing Maths, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and possibly Further Maths if I stay at my current sixth form, but if I switch schools I won't be able to take it.
@sophiamarni I'll be doing Maths, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and possibly Further Maths if I stay at my current sixth form, but if I switch schools I won't be able to take it.

woooow those subjects nearly gave me a heart attack XD you must be really smart and further maths O.O i applaud you. all my subjects are essay based :smile: and are boring geog, eng langandlit, gov and pol and economics
William Morris Sixth Form

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simple_student
William Morris Sixth Form

Posted from TSR Mobile

my friends hate it
Lol i go there.. Its my first year and found it fascinating as the teachers have been teaching their for ages and theyre all good .. But lots of work to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending