The Student Room Group

Healthcare Science - 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ayeeel
The course at Southampton (and also Middlesex) is taught 3 days a week. Not sure if all Audiology courses are taught like this? Lots of placements in all 3 years. There were definite similarities between Middlesex & Southampton and I wonder how prescriptive the requirements for Healthcare Science (Audiology) are, and how much the courses actually vary.

I hadn't looked at Unistats before. I've just had a look and although I can find lots of Audiology courses on there, I can't find Southampton. Am still looking, but if you have a link, that would be really helpful :smile:

You are right if you go to Southampton university course page every uni has an ad flashing showing you Unistats link for that perticular course but it is showing an error as this was working 2 days ago. Very strange as i am think it is a coincidence that i mentioned it on this forum and it has an error.

Out of 8 uni's doing healthcare they were the lowest for that course for student satisfaction around 64% and the rest were close to 80% and above.
The low percentage were not for the course structure or placements etc but the support and feedback on work given by the lecturers as i think is the most important bit
Reply 21
Original post by BoboG
You are right if you go to Southampton university course page every uni has an ad flashing showing you Unistats link for that perticular course but it is showing an error as this was working 2 days ago. Very strange as i am think it is a coincidence that i mentioned it on this forum and it has an error.

Out of 8 uni's doing healthcare they were the lowest for that course for student satisfaction around 64% and the rest were close to 80% and above.
The low percentage were not for the course structure or placements etc but the support and feedback on work given by the lecturers as i think is the most important bit

Interesting. I was most impressed with the teaching staff that I met on the Open Day - they really inspired me to want to do the course - and I also have been given good feedback from professionals in the field about the course and the graduates from there.
Reply 22
Original post by ayeeel
Interesting. I was most impressed with the teaching staff that I met on the Open Day - they really inspired me to want to do the course - and I also have been given good feedback from professionals in the field about the course and the graduates from there.

very interesting. I can believe you as sometime it could just be a few people giving negative reviews but Unistats is a government website and what i have read is pretty accurate

I am a bit worried as to why it is the only Uni that is not showing the stats as it does have the lowest feedback.

I am not so worried about like i said the structure of the course or its reputation as that speaks for it self but only the course we are talking about.

What course are you thinking of doing under healthcare science
Has anybody sent off their applications yet?
I sent my application for audiology on the 2nd of October but haven't heard anything from them yet. I applied to Swansea,Leeds,Manchester, Demontfort and Middlesex.
Original post by haseebi82
I sent my application for audiology on the 2nd of October but haven't heard anything from them yet. I applied to Swansea,Leeds,Manchester, Demontfort and Middlesex.

Oh wow, I hope I don't have to wait that long! I sent mine off last week for the physiological sciences discipline. I'm sure they'll get back to you soon!
I've been to open days for Cardiff, Bangor, Derby, Exeter, Portsmouth, Hertfordshire and UWE.

I'm applying to do diagnostic radiography in Bangor, Cardiff, Derby, UWE and either Exeter or UCS (depending on whether Exeter will accept my course or not).
My UCAS application is all done and my personal statement is finally done.. Just waiting on a reply from Exeter now before I send it off.
Original post by JMorty97
Hello again :smile: Are there many lectures on the course, or is the majority of the teaching through practicals and small group sessions?

Yes there are many lectures, quite a lot in fact, the majority of teaching is done via lectures however there are a lot of practicals to complement the lectures and to help build clinical skills.

Original post by BoboG
Hi

Just wondering why the student satisfaction is low for healthcare science at Southampton compared to other universities as this shows on unistats and other websites as it is the lowest out of alot of uni's. Could you shed any light on this

Thanks

Unistats has no information on the course as far as I'm aware. This course at Southampton is extremely new (I'm in the 4th cohort in the course's history, so there's bound to be teething problems which will flatten out over time i.e. we're the biggest group they've had (30 of us) and the university has underestimated this and has caused some problems. Some people don't like having the course taught solely in the hospital/having to travel to the hospital and would rather have it on campus, we've had problems with our A&P lecturer over the fact that he is a neurophysiologist with no clinical experience (counter-productive for us) - this has improved significantly of the past couple of weeks so isn't much of an issue. Placements cause a lot of problems - we don't know where we're going for our January placements yet and were only told today about the location of our taster day. Being kept in the dark is annoying as it's getting close to placements and we can be sent literally anywhere.

Original post by JusstJen
Hi, have you had any assignments or exams so far? If so what were they based on?
- Also when you were at the interview stage, what type of questions were you asked and were you required to take an English and maths test?
- What other unis did you apply to and do you remember what their offers were?
- From what you've learned so far, do you think the job would entail as much patient contact as they say it does?
- Also, when are the holiday breaks and how long are they?

Assignments - Transitional Module: Formative essay on 'Reflective Practice', Professional Practice: Health Educational Package (my group is doing alcohol misuse in students, presenting on the 6th Jan) - both are pretty much pointless in my eyes, they're not really needed as Physiologists.
Interviews: No English/Maths tests for any of the uni's I applied to. Southampton interview was an observed group discussion on 'the moral and practical issues of weight loss surgery'. Other interviews were 1 to 1, and was asked about what makes a good team, strengths and weaknesses, patient communication, how to deal with patients, knowledge of the professional, qualities that make you suitable for the course/professional, general questions about work placements (if you do them - advisable).
Uni's: Leeds (AAB), Manchester Met (BBB), Middlesex (BBB), Southampton (ABB), Swansea (BBB).
Course: there is a lot of patient contact (currently hired models or ourselves - so that we make mistakes in the classroom and not whilst with a real patient) to familiarise yourself with the professional and what your role is. However contact is brief, pretty much perform the test and go (e.g. ECG's should take on average 5 mins), and yes in a clinical environment there will be a lot of patient contact due to the short amount of time conducting/interpreting the tests. As far as what I've learned (can go on all day about this - so this is a summary); a greater insight into A&P (systems, pathology, morphology, etc. The mechanics of the heart/lungs/sleep, the skills needed to deal with patients in the NHS (otherwise know as 'Mandatory Skills'), how to conduct diagnostic tests and why we use them.
Holidays (for first year): 3 weeks at Christmas (12 Dec-5th Jan), 4 weeks at Easter (17th March-14th April), 7 weeks in the Summer (30th June-18th August).
Apologies for the long answer, I've tried to condense it down as much as possible.
Original post by sam_town1

Assignments - Transitional Module: Formative essay on 'Reflective Practice', Professional Practice: Health Educational Package (my group is doing alcohol misuse in students, presenting on the 6th Jan) - both are pretty much pointless in my eyes, they're not really needed as Physiologists.
Interviews: No English/Maths tests for any of the uni's I applied to. Southampton interview was an observed group discussion on 'the moral and practical issues of weight loss surgery'. Other interviews were 1 to 1, and was asked about what makes a good team, strengths and weaknesses, patient communication, how to deal with patients, knowledge of the professional, qualities that make you suitable for the course/professional, general questions about work placements (if you do them - advisable).
Uni's: Leeds (AAB), Manchester Met (BBB), Middlesex (BBB), Southampton (ABB), Swansea (BBB).
Course: there is a lot of patient contact (currently hired models or ourselves - so that we make mistakes in the classroom and not whilst with a real patient) to familiarise yourself with the professional and what your role is. However contact is brief, pretty much perform the test and go (e.g. ECG's should take on average 5 mins), and yes in a clinical environment there will be a lot of patient contact due to the short amount of time conducting/interpreting the tests. As far as what I've learned (can go on all day about this - so this is a summary); a greater insight into A&P (systems, pathology, morphology, etc. The mechanics of the heart/lungs/sleep, the skills needed to deal with patients in the NHS (otherwise know as 'Mandatory Skills'), how to conduct diagnostic tests and why we use them.
Holidays (for first year): 3 weeks at Christmas (12 Dec-5th Jan), 4 weeks at Easter (17th March-14th April), 7 weeks in the Summer (30th June-18th August).
Apologies for the long answer, I've tried to condense it down as much as possible.

This was so helpful, especially the interview part because there isn't a lot of information out there on what to expect because of how new the course is. I also expected the holidays to be a lot shorter because it is a healthcare course but hey I'm not complaining! :smile: Your entry grades are pretty much the same as their minimum requirements which is great. Overall you've pretty much confirmed everything for me, thank you :biggrin:
Reply 29
Original post by BoboG
very interesting. I can believe you as sometime it could just be a few people giving negative reviews but Unistats is a government website and what i have read is pretty accurate

I am a bit worried as to why it is the only Uni that is not showing the stats as it does have the lowest feedback.

I am not so worried about like i said the structure of the course or its reputation as that speaks for it self but only the course we are talking about.

What course are you thinking of doing under healthcare science

Audiology :smile:
Reply 30
I sent my UCAS off on Friday, applying to Leeds, Southampton, Swansea, Plymouth and UWE Bristol :smile: Has anyone else sent their applications off and if so, where to? :smile:
Reply 31
I sent my UCAS off on Friday, applying to Leeds, Southampton, Swansea, Plymouth and UWE Bristol :smile: Has anyone else sent their applications off and if so, where to? :smile:

Not sent off yet as waiting for teacher reference hopefully end of this week. applying to Swansea, Plymouth, Wolverhampton, St Georges & MMU
Following Respiratory and sleep science.

Anyone been to university open days or interviews so far
Reply 32

Not yet. Still pondering over my personal statement and also referee (mature student).
I just got an interview date from Anglia Ruskin for Healthcare Science, is anyone going to Anglia Ruskin? What are the typical questions asked in this interview???:smile:
Original post by Lima_akbar
I just got an interview date from Anglia Ruskin for Healthcare Science, is anyone going to Anglia Ruskin? What are the typical questions asked in this interview???:smile:

So did I! Mine is next month :smile:
Original post by JusstJen
So did I! Mine is next month :smile:

Mine too was next month but I had to change it.
Do you know what they can ask you and what they expect from you to know??:confused:
I am totally nervous about the interview:frown:
Original post by Lima_akbar
Mine too was next month but I had to change it.
Do you know what they can ask you and what they expect from you to know??:confused:
I am totally nervous about the interview:frown:

I'm not entirely sure but they said that there will be a group discussion about how healthcare professionals can meet the expectation of patients or carers in the field of clinical physiology. Also they expect you to have a good idea of what the career and course entails and also your motivation behind studying the course.

When I come back from my interview I should be able to give some more details.
Reply 37
Anyone applied to wolverhampton as i have an interview in Jan and was wondering if anyone has already been
Received an unconditional offer today for Cardiac Physiology :biggrin:
Reply 39
Original post by LadyEcliptic
Received an unconditional offer today for Cardiac Physiology :biggrin:

Well done! :biggrin: From who may I ask?

I still haven't received anything from any of my universities, the wait is killing me D:

Quick Reply

Latest