The Student Room Group

Rejected from the Ruskin School of Art Oxford

Mystified by your rejection from the Ruskin? Any idea what went wrong? What should have been in my portfolio?

Scroll to see replies

Have you done the Foundation Course ?
If not then that's probably why, its near impossible to get in without it.
Original post by uniqsummer
Have you done the Foundation Course ?
If not then that's probably why, its near impossible to get in without it.

currently enrolled on a foundation course , told my work wasn't mature enough and i should consider reapplying next year after foundation and just as i start a uni course! Having to wait another year for a 'possible' interview will be excruciating.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Same here :smile:
Original post by greni
Same here :smile:

did you get the ' your work is good but it is still early days on your art foundation course. You might like to consider applying here next year.'? was your application sound? any flickr etc.?
My best friend - who hasn't done a foundation - got rejected too. I think they rarely give offers out to those without a foundation year
You really need to do a Foundation course, its about a 20-30% chance of being accepted without one.
They do state that they really only consider students who have done it, as generally when you come out off school/college your work is not of a good enough standard.
You really need to do a Foundation course, its about a 20-30% chance of being accepted without one.
They do state that they really only consider students who have done it, as generally when you come out off school/college your work is not of a good enough standard.

On their website the Ruskin say: 'We highly recommend that candidates commence a Foundation Course in Fine Art (or equivalent) before applying,'.
I have commenced a foundation course in Fine Art and yet was denied an interview on the basis that 'it's still early days on your foundation course'!
got rejected too
I just got my rejection email today. I am a traditional painter, i spend 6 months on one painting, i paint through the night and in the early hours of the morning. i go to galleries every weekend, run socities, currently discussing logistics of being exhibted. i have won competitons, i have done more. but hopefully others will find comfort in reading this that succesfull candidates just fit a 'criteria' but are by no means a measure of how succesful you will be or are as an artist, how passionate you are or how much extra you do.

i have learnt the hard way: art schools not only oxford, want conceptual, fighting against establishment trendy artists. the real 'artists' who fight against the establishment are the traditional ones, far too uncool to be recognised.

you have more balls and breaking more conventions, in doing an oil painting than throwing some rubbish on the floor and calling it art.

everyone is willing to call anything art, except, god forbid, something that bares resemblance to any art at all.
Reply 10
I just got a rejection email but for strange reasons: They suggest I should be applying for a MFA rather than a BFA, but everything on the website implies you need an undergraduate degree before applying for a masters so I'm a bit flummuxed. Also I can't fund a Masters degree and the University website implies they only fund graduates who are progressing to a Masters, so it feels as if I am yet again being denied an education.

Anybody else in this situation?

Not that I know anything about Art but isn't a 20-30% chance pretty good? That would be a higher chance than most other Oxford courses...
Reply 12
Of course it varies from year to year but something between a sixth and an eigth of applicants for the BFA get accepted at Oxford. Not bad eh? Better odds than say RADA.

They don't want the likes of me though!
humph.
Original post by carmelshayle123
I just got my rejection email today. I am a traditional painter, i spend 6 months on one painting, i paint through the night and in the early hours of the morning. i go to galleries every weekend, run socities, currently discussing logistics of being exhibted. i have won competitons, i have done more. but hopefully others will find comfort in reading this that succesfull candidates just fit a 'criteria' but are by no means a measure of how succesful you will be or are as an artist, how passionate you are or how much extra you do.

i have learnt the hard way: art schools not only oxford, want conceptual, fighting against establishment trendy artists. the real 'artists' who fight against the establishment are the traditional ones, far too uncool to be recognised.

you have more balls and breaking more conventions, in doing an oil painting than throwing some rubbish on the floor and calling it art.

everyone is willing to call anything art, except, god forbid, something that bares resemblance to any art at all.

Word up dude! I too win competitions and have been exhibited (abstract oil painting was my thing im now on video art) but unfortunately I'm conservative by nature (I don't vote conservative (god forbid)) so wasn't invited for an interview. As I have outlined in another thread you have to be anti-establishment/left wing and have died your hair pink to prove it to get into oxford (and probably all the UAL schools of art). You can either play the game and get in or rebel (or are you rebelling?) and be punished.

The thing is I understand conceptual art, what it means and why its relevant to our society etc. its just my middle class upbringing makes me feel ashamed whenever I make it. What will my friends and family think of me when I s*** in a can and video myself throwing it at a wall? I mean in my eyes that action could easily be interpreted as representing our generations deep mistrust towards the police and I, along with many contemporary artists, could understand that, but to joe bloggs it is what it is; its s*** on a wall and they will hate you for it. Besides what sort of waves would that make in the art world? Nothing more than a pindrop, that sort of stuff has been going on for 50 years now and frankly its getting old.

I expect at some point we'll briefly return to a movement centred around 'beauty' in response to this bland conceptualism like we did in the 90s but its entirely futile as I suppose all art is now we've reached the end.

When people load their art with deep philosophical metaphors etc couldn't they at least inject a degree of talent into it as well. If you're painting your body blue with poster paint could you at least do it on a grand scale with a large brilliant white canvas rather than just roll around the floor weeping. I mean the idea is good and everything but the actual act reeks of inadequacy and failure (perhaps this is the message but, who knows? or more importantly who cares?).

The subjective nature of Art is both its greatest strength and as we have learned through rejection; its greatest weakness.
(edited 9 years ago)
they prefer this stuff instead. Someone who hasn't done art at sixth form nor started a foundation course.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128271822@N06/15138310283/in/photostream/
Original post by Chlorophile
Not that I know anything about Art but isn't a 20-30% chance pretty good? That would be a higher chance than most other Oxford courses...

By 20-30% I mean from applicants that get a place this percentage haven't completed the foundation course.

Original post by LizzieO
I just got a rejection email but for strange reasons: They suggest I should be applying for a MFA rather than a BFA, but everything on the website implies you need an undergraduate degree before applying for a masters so I'm a bit flummuxed. Also I can't fund a Masters degree and the University website implies they only fund graduates who are progressing to a Masters, so it feels as if I am yet again being denied an education.

The minimum is a 2:1 degree or equivalent. Even if your a mature student I cant think why they have given that advice to you, it makes no sense at all unless it was a mistake.
Either way if your sure that's what the email said, I would query it to be honest and potentially appeal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by bertiewallace123
Word up dude! I too win competitions and have been exhibited (abstract oil painting was my thing im now on video art) but unfortunately I'm conservative by nature (I don't vote conservative (god forbid)) so wasn't invited for an interview. As I have outlined in another thread you have to be anti-establishment/left wing and have died your hair pink to prove it to get into oxford (and probably all the UAL schools of art). You can either play the game and get in or rebel (or are you rebelling?) and be punished.

The thing is I understand conceptual art, what it means and why its relevant to our society etc. its just my middle class upbringing makes me feel ashamed whenever I make it. What will my friends and family think of me when I s*** in a can and video myself throwing it at a wall? I mean in my eyes that action could easily be interpreted as representing our generations deep mistrust towards the police and I, along with many contemporary artists, could understand that, but to joe bloggs it is what it is; its s*** on a wall and they will hate you for it. Besides what sort of waves would that make in the art world? Nothing more than a pindrop, that sort of stuff has been going on for 50 years now and frankly its getting old.

I expect at some point we'll briefly return to a movement centred around 'beauty' in response to this bland conceptualism like we did in the 90s but its entirely futile as I suppose all art is now we've reached the end.

When people load their art with deep philosophical metaphors etc couldn't they at least inject a degree of talent into it as well. If you're painting your body blue with poster paint could you at least do it on a grand scale with a large brilliant white canvas rather than just roll around the floor weeping. I mean the idea is good and everything but the actual act reeks of inadequacy and failure (perhaps this is the message but, who knows? or more importantly who cares?).

The subjective nature of Art is both its greatest strength and as we have learned through rejection; its greatest weakness.

You need to learn how to deal with rejection.
Original post by eei
You need to learn how to deal with rejection.

i know, :|
Original post by carmelshayle123

Dude the Ruskin openly states that they prefer variety and imagination in the portfolios they receive. If you dedicate yourself to traditional painting and don't dare branch out into other mediums such as film or photography or drawing or digital art then of course they'll reject you.
If you proudly choose to limit yourself then it probably shows that'd you'd be a pain in the arse to teach. I know I wouldn't wanna try and teach multimedia art to a person who only wants to do oil paintings all day long.
Step off you're high horse, man 😂 you can go to galleries and run societies all day long but remember: you're at university to learn, not to flaunt your accolades.
Yeah @Skate-n-destroy you have a great point. 1/4 of the Ruskin BFA program is academic research and theory so they are looking for applicants who show strong conceptual capability. Traditional painting might look great aesthetically, but how much concept is there behind the work other than the image which you are directly referencing. The Ruskin want their alumni to become well-known artists so that they can attract more talented people to apply, it is far harder to become well-known doing traditional art rather than sensational conceptual works. Goldsmiths is now considered a 'good' art uni simply because of the YBA movement that sprung out of it, with artists like Damien Hirst.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending