The Student Room Group

White people: Do you assume Asian people are religious?

Say you saw an Asian or ethnically Asian person then would you assume they were Muslim, Hindu or Sikh for instance. It's just that I've met a few white people & had to clarify that although I was brought up in a religious family I wouldn't personally class myself as religious. Would you even care if you saw one at a pub etc? I don't mean this question to be offensive by the way :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, because what someone else decides to believe in is irrelevant to me.
Reply 2
Reply 3
im indian but people think im a muslims which annoys me a lot
Reply 4
They (white people) tend to presume that I follow a religion; whether or not they presume I am religious or not, I am unsure.
Reply 6
Original post by sdotd

That is annoying. My best friend is Indian and his mother didn't allow him to leave the house in the aftermath of 9/11 in case of any backlash against Muslims.

There are a lot of Asian people I will assume to be religious, but they tend to look like they are of Arab or Pakistani descent.
(edited 9 years ago)
I do find that more Asians I've met come from a religious background than white people I've met, but I don't make assumptions on whether they're particularly religious or spiritual themselves. :smile:

To be honest I tend to avoid the topic of religion though: as an atheist with fairly strong convictions I prefer not to risk causing offence accidentally. :redface: I do love all the stories of all the different Hindu gods that I studied in school though - if you're gonna have a religion you might at least make it an interesting one. :tongue:
Original post by Multitalented me
Say you saw an Asian or ethnically Asian person then would you assume they were Muslim, Hindu or Sikh for instance.

No, because people from China and Japan rarely are.
Reply 9
Original post by sdotd

India does have a large muslim population does it not ?
If they look Pakistani then yes.

If they look Indian then no.
If you're religious and it makes you happy, great.

If you're not religious and are happy, great.

Being white, black, brown, green orange or blue is irrelevant.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
No, I don't
Original post by Multitalented me
Say you saw an Asian or ethnically Asian person then would you assume they were Muslim, Hindu or Sikh for instance. It's just that I've met a few white people & had to clarify that although I was brought up in a religious family I wouldn't personally class myself as religious. Would you even care if you saw one at a pub etc? I don't mean this question to be offensive by the way :smile:

No. Most of my friends who were 'ethnically Asian' weren't devoutly religious so I don't think I'd make that assumption. Most of the people I have met have been apathetic to religion whether that be Asian or not.
Reply 14
Original post by arvy

yes but they are a minority
Generally, white people tend to assume I am religious but then deny they ever thought that later when I have said that I would call myself atheist. I think it's just a general assumption that's made which can be a bit irritating
And before anyone asks about how I dress, speak etc., I am quite a bit of a coconut. There are some Asian stereotypes which don't fit me at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't.
Reply 17
Original post by sdotd
yes but they are a minority

And so are you so beat it then ..
Reply 18
Original post by arvy
And so are you so beat it then ..

Sorry you lost me
Original post by arvy

Around 14% of the population in India is Muslim, however the majority (around 75-80%) is Hindu

Quick Reply

Latest