The Student Room Group

Of Mice and Men (Crooks)

Got a GCSE controlled assessment coming up and I need a few PEE paragraphs on Crooks. Could somebody give me a couple PEE paragraphs with quotes? It would help if you used EXPLAINS technique. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reference the fact that Crooks has books in his room, this means he is educated unlike the other men on the ranch.
ALSO the fact he has possessions signifies he is permanent and doesn't move around.

Hopefully these helped a bit :smile:
Reply 2
This is for the question: what language techniques does Steinbeck to present the character of Crooks?

Steinbeck uses symbolism to present the character of Crooks. His character shows us how coloured people were treated in the 1930's. It tells us that they were treated as second-class citizens and weren't worthy to share anything with non-coloured people, we know this due to Crook's having "his bunk in the harness room", I think that it is because his boss doesn't think it's right for Crook's to share a bunkhouse with the other men on the ranch, so Crook's is forced to sleep in the barn.
Reply 3
Maybe you could do your own homework?
Reply 4
I think the question were doing is something like: How does steinback present Crooks?
Reply 5
PEE = Point, Evidence, Explain. For instance, I could say:

Crooks is practical and intelligent, POINT

this is shown in chapter (?) "rubber boots" "alarm clock" and the "California Civil Code" book, EVIDENCE

The books show he reads and cares about his Rights. It also shows that he is practical and active with his alarm clock. EXPLAIN

A few other points that you can pick up on are:
- Crooks hides his loneliness by being proud and aloof, He tries to show that it doesn't affect him, but Steinbeck makes it clear to the reader that it does. (Theme = Loneliness)

- Crooks his the only black man in the book. He;s excluded from the bunk house because other workers say he smells. He's lonely and he misses the company of other people - he says, "A guy needs somebody- to be near him." (Theme = Prejudice)

- His loneliness makes him bitter and he seems jealous of George and Lennnie's friendship. In chapter four he tries to make Lennie feel as lonely as he does by suggesting George might leave him.

- He is proud "a proud, aloof man"

- He is cynical "Nobody gets to heaven, and nobody gets no land"

- He is vulnerable "I could get you strung up a tree so easy it aint even funny".
Reply 6
I love you guys! I needed this so mic thank you
Reply 7
Original post by tohaaaa
Reference the fact that Crooks has books in his room, this means he is educated unlike the other men on the ranch.
ALSO the fact he has possessions signifies he is permanent and doesn't move around.

Hopefully these helped a bit :smile:

:p:pThank you this helped me so much for my homework :smile:
Reply 8
true that
crooks lives near the "barn". This shows he isn't thought to be a human- more of an animal.
Original post by SuperMedium
This is for the question: what language techniques does Steinbeck to present the character of Crooks?

Steinbeck uses symbolism to present the character of Crooks. His character shows us how coloured people were treated in the 1930's. It tells us that they were treated as second-class citizens and weren't worthy to share anything with non-coloured people, we know this due to Crook's having "his bunk in the harness room", I think that it is because his boss doesn't think it's right for Crook's to share a bunkhouse with the other men on the ranch, so Crook's is forced to sleep in the barn.

There should be no apostrophes after k in Crooks.:confused:
Reply 11
All of you try to Remember to use P.E.T.E.R paragraphs to fully ensure that you get the highest grade possible in the Crooks exams...
Point-Give a brutal fact to start your personal opinion,argument etc
Evidence-give a quotation to back up your point
Technique-show the LANGUAGE technique(s) used in the quotation which resemble the question you are working on for you exam 'How is Crooks presented as a ISOLATED and LONELY character':use Language techniques like eg. short scentence,adjectives,verbs etc.
Explanation-Explain the answer you have given so far/ become more specific
Reader-as we all know our teachers have mentioned we will loose marks if we don't mention THIS LAST BIT
the examiners love the readers personal opinion on/of the subject:-)
Good Luck and REMEMBER that PEE paragraphs are key stage 3 stuff and will get you weak grades like an E grade and F grade but if you use a More developed paragraph you will get higher grades and marks!
p.s use P.E.T.E.R it helps:-)))
If any-one needs more info i'll try to give it WHEN POSSIBLE!!!:smile:)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by creamyulpizza
crooks lives near the "barn". This shows he isn't thought to be a human- more of an animal.

:eek::biggrin: VERY GOOOD remember to use the higher archy to support your point oh and it's nice to meet you
Reply 13
Original post by ussamazia
I think the question were doing is something like: How does Steinbeck present Crooks?

DON'T forget that there will be questions which are also to do with this like eg. Why does Steinbeck open chapter 4 with crooks? (What is the theme relating to this?-LONELINESS!):wink::smile:
you could say:

Crooks was treated so poorly becasue of his colour. "I could got you hung up so easy it aint funny" (relate to the context back in those days) Curley'e wife said this becasue in those days black people were not treated fairly. The Jim Crow laws state that there should be segregation between black people and white people, this was clearly shown when Crooks has to live in a shed attached to the barn and is deprived with living with the other farmers. Crooks’ living by the animals shows that the boss doesn’t want to waste any money or space on someone who isn’t seen as important in those days.
I know this is a late reply, however this can be useful for other students who are browsing. A point of the objects in Crooks' room is that his harness is also a symbolic reference in the novella, as it shows that like a horse, the harness is keeping him stuck to the ranch. Also, he is being controlled by others due to the color of his skin.

Also, within the essay, try to include:

INTRODUCTION: Black American Rights in the 1930's, Voting - pay a task, Crooks' education, the John Crow Laws and the segregation that occurred around then.
PEAS: Crooks' room, animals he works with, how lonely he is, how he treats Lennie, how he is treat by others, his disability, the significance of his name, his dream - how impossible it is, the themes and how he is intellectual.
CONCLUSION: Your personal thoughts and feelings of the novella, the motivation of John Stienbeck and the success of Stienceck.

These points can help you achieve incredibly high marks within the essay, I hope it helped! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Le'Andre
:eek::biggrin: VERY GOOOD remember to use the higher archy to support your point oh and it's nice to meet you

thank you. It's good to see some positive people on this website.:smile:
Reply 17
I remember reading the book and it stated in the description of Crooks' room that he had a 'light that was dim'-idk something like that but you can go on to explain that on one hand the light may represent the fact that he is poor or something but simultaneously, it could be a symbolism of hope? You could link this idea to the american dream as well
Original post by H_A99
I remember reading the book and it stated in the description of Crooks' room that he had a 'light that was dim'-idk something like that but you can go on to explain that on one hand the light may represent the fact that he is poor or something but simultaneously, it could be a symbolism of hope? You could link this idea to the american dream as well

yes something to do with meager light....
shut the **** up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending