The Student Room Group

Should I study Actuarial Science, Economics or Law

Hi All
I may only be studying for my GCSEs at the moment but I have already got strong ideas about what I want to do.
In my GCSEs I am aiming for 9A*s and an A (in Spanish, my weakest subject).
Of course this then puts me in a good place for A-Levels.
I was thinking of doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics or Geography and I was wondering if given these A-Levels which degree would be the best.
I think that when I am older I want to become an actuary of work for a Top Tier Investment Bank, however I have heard that studying actuarial science at Uni is very difficult and there are other ways into the profession.
If anybody has any advice (on A Level choices, my degree or even my GCSEs) it would all be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jake
Before I start this post I am gonna tell you something. I want to tell you GCSE's mean nothing apart from what sixth form you are going to go to, Most Uni's with the exception of maybe some colleges in Cambridge actually care about them. A-levels is a different kettle of fish and just cause you get good GCSE's doesn't put you in a good place for uni, Naturally smart people can do GCSE's and get good grades without much work, when you do A-levels you need to make sure you don't get cocky and don't do any work cause I know first hand from my own experiences......you will fail. Anyway on with the response.

My Brother wants to study Actuarial Studies and is probably the one with the most job security afterwards, getting through a degree in Actuarial sciences is difficult but is the fastest way in to the industry and the one with the highest starting salary, not many Universities do it so I would be aiming for AAA in your A-levels if you want to go in to this but I'm sure if you work, it should be no problem. Everyone needs their risk calculated, Am I right?

Economics, Probably the most broad, if you aren't sure what field you want to go in then economics would be the best. I know a lot of people doing it and is probably the easiest out of the three.

Law looks the most interesting but that is just my opinion, It is a nice middle ground but not a lot of graduates actually make it in to law due to the fact that it is far more competitive than other degrees.

You have to do what you enjoy doing and if you want to go in to being an actuary then I suggest doing Actuarial studies because it is the most useful for going in to that field.

Your A-levles seem fine choices for your career path but I question geography slightly, I think Physcis would complement your other subjects better as there is so much overlap with Maths and Universities know physics is much harder to get a good grade in than Geography.

I am hoping to do Neuroscience so I am not exactly the king of opinions on this matter but the best advice I can give you is to do what you enjoy doing cause if you don't love maths whole you will regret actuarial studies for a long time.

Any other questions, just PM me cause I have been doing A-levels for a while and know a fair amount on the subject. :smile:

Good luck!
Study maths, not actuarial science.
Reply 3
Original post by Classical Liberal
Study maths, not actuarial science.

why is that? Actuarial Science would mean that I could skip some of the professional exams after the degree
Original post by jakepds
why is that? Actuarial Science would mean that I could skip some of the professional exams after the degree

It's a more well respected degree. Doesn't pidgeon hole your career. There isn't much point skipping a few exams, it's not like you pay for them.

Also, I suspect that actuaries probably respect a maths degree more than an actuarial degree - maths students are generally the best at maths.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
It's a more well respected degree. Doesn't pidgeon hole your career. There isn't much point skipping a few exams, it's not like you pay for them.

Also, I suspect that actuaries probably respect a maths degree more than an actuarial degree - maths students are generally the best at maths.

Im no expert but I should think that a degree designed for a specific career would suit you best if you wanted to go into that specific career, especially if I got it from a top tier uni like LSE.
Original post by jakepds
Im no expert but I should think that a degree designed for a specific career would suit you best if you wanted to go into that specific career, especially if I got it from a top tier uni like LSE.

You'd think that, but it isn't really so. Often the best lawyers didn't study law, they studied something like economics (so they've got a broader understanding of business). The same can be said for professions like accountancy.
Reply 7
You'd think that, but it isn't really so. Often the best lawyers didn't study law, they studied something like economics (so they've got a broader understanding of business). The same can be said for professions like accountancy.

wold I then have to do a conversion to actuarial science
Original post by jakepds
wold I then have to do a conversion to actuarial science

You'd just do the professional exams when you've joined a firm that trains actuaries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending